PDA

View Full Version : Pull down lists rant.

Dennik
05-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Whoever programmed that nice old feature of LW pull down lists must have had a thing for slot machines. Cause the usability is very similar.
After a good practice matching my reflexes and pattern recognition against the few hundred items on the list, i'm definitely ready to win the jackpot or at least get a job finding needles in any size haystack. :lightwave

stiff paper
05-16-2011, 02:53 PM
You could always edit your menus and split the unwieldy pulldown into two, three or four separate lists, organized/labelled either alphabetically or by function. That way you can cut down the number of choices on each list until it becomes manageable. It's the time-honored way.

4dartist
05-16-2011, 03:18 PM
You could always edit your menus and split the unwieldy pulldown into two, three or four separate lists, organized/labelled either alphabetically or by function. That way you can cut down the number of choices on each list until it becomes manageable. It's the time-honored way.

Uh...

uh...

what???

You mean there is a way to order the list for say....... picking the goal object in the Motion Options panel??

Dennik
05-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Uh...

uh...

what???

You mean there is a way to order the list for say....... picking the goal object in the Motion Options panel??

I know. I'm intrigued about that too. It could save me 10 bazillion hours.

stiff paper
05-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Ack!

No, sorry, I misunderstood which lists you were talking about. Didn't realize you meant lists of objects, as opposed to, say, plugins.

But... umm... just think how much it'll have improved your reactions! I'm sure that'll come in useful at some point. For something. Maybe.

jeric_synergy
05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Good feature request: filtering in lists.

This is where a pickwhip would be good too..........

If list filtering can be implemented in LScript, a script could be constructed for just that particular purpose. That's what a Maya guy would probably do: put in a request for the IT staff to develop a MEL script. Then you'd have a choice of the current way, or launching a small script that would give you filtering for that particular task.

Of course, a lot of that code could be recycled for similar tasks.

TeZzy
05-18-2011, 02:04 AM
yea the pull down is painful especially when you have no other alternative.

Using same as item and selecting an object with the pull down list when you have hundreds of others is probably one of the most painful things in lightwave

zardoz
05-18-2011, 03:57 AM
I've been complaining about this for a long time now...
Pulldown lists are really confusing and not pratical. We should have a popup with a full configurable list with 'favorites' and 'recent'.

Lightwolf
05-18-2011, 04:14 AM
Just in case some people here don't know:
The pop-ups are sticky. You can just click and release the mouse button and they stay open until you select (and click on) something again. That makes it a bit easier since you don't need to keep the lmb pressed down all the time (which is perfectly fine for short lists).

I'd certainly love to see som filtering there. As soon as the pop-up is stick a lot could be done, such as allowing for keyboard input to filter/search the current pop-up (by showing everything that contains the typed in characters) as well as allow the RMB to store and recall selection sets.

And it wouldn't even need any more screen estate either.

Cheers,
Mike

creacon
05-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Are you guys talking about the pulldown lists to select objects, lights etc?

You are aware that there is a small button next to this, that has filtering and find functions, right?

creacon

Lightwolf
05-18-2011, 05:53 AM

You are aware that there is a small button next to this, that has filtering and find functions, right?

The flyouts only exist for the main pop-up at the bottom of the GUI, not all the other places where pop-ups are used to select items.

Cheers,
Mike

4dartist
05-18-2011, 08:29 AM

creacon

No.. we are talking about the other places where you need to chose from a list of EVERY object, bone, etc. An example would be picking a target, or picking a goal object in a scene with 4 characters loaded.. by the time you get to the 4th character to fix it's IK because LW sucks at importing multiple characters the thing is wizzing by so fast you have to have to have a wee bit of the force to feel when it's going by and stop. :)

Hell.. even when you pick what state you are from when filling forms out online you can hit T and it'll jump all the way down to the T's, even those are more helpful.

zardoz
05-18-2011, 08:50 AM
or adding a custom object, or adding a displacement, or a pixel filter or an image filter or...so on and so on