PDA

View Full Version : History suggestion

Philbert
10-05-2003, 03:53 PM
My request is a pretty small one and doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to add in. I'd like to see Lightwave have a history, similar to Photoshop, or at least some way of knowing what'll happen when I 'Undo'. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

EyesClosed
10-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Maybe when Newtek rewrites LightWave, we'll see something like that. :D

hrgiger
10-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Welcome back CIM...:rolleyes:

I would like to see a history also. I don't think that Lightwave would require a re-write for it though.

mattc
10-05-2003, 10:46 PM
hrgiger,

Unfortunately, CIM is right. LW would require a rewrite to add history in modeler. Modeler's architecture is not capable of that kind of functionality, not without serious fudging and even then it would be limited. Layout is a little different.

So rather than try to kludge things in liek they usually do, why not do it properly.

Regards
M.

Philbert
10-05-2003, 11:02 PM
true, I suppose the code doesn't really give a name to each possible thing that could be undone (or redone), even if it only were to tell you the name of the last thing that was done.

hrgiger
10-06-2003, 08:52 AM
I'm no programmer (yet, I'm going back to school for it this winter) but it seems to me that it wouldn't require a rewrite.

Just looing at how lscript commander records events in Lightwave, isn't it feasible that a similar architecture could be used to make a history of some sort?

Matt
10-06-2003, 09:33 AM
lscript can only access certain parts of the core, it's not quite that straight forward.

jb_gfx
10-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I'm no programmer (yet, I'm going back to school for it this winter) but it seems to me that it wouldn't require a rewrite.

Just looing at how lscript commander records events in Lightwave, isn't it feasible that a similar architecture could be used to make a history of some sort?

You are very right but only for the Layout. The modeler doesn't works the same way at all and that's why there is no Lscript commander for it.

Karmacop
10-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Modeler's undo is essentially just saving a new copy of the object for every undo. Possibly saving a name with the action you to to create that undo would be nice, but it wouldn't be a real history.