PDA

View Full Version : Camera Size in Layout?

nickej
10-05-2003, 02:18 PM
I know I've seen a solution to this sometime ago, but I can't find it! 've got a landscape loaded in Layout that's about 1km by 1km, and I have smaller objects in it. I want the camera image to be nice and small so I can manouver it around the little objects, but it keeps getting all big when the landscape object is loaded. How can I pevent it from doing that?
Thanks in advance!

hrgiger
10-05-2003, 02:48 PM
You can't change the size of the camera. What you need to do is hit 'o' to open up the options panel, go to display options panel, and change the grid size. Using a smaller grid size will allow you to get closer to objects and move with more precision. You may need to change it occasionally while working...

nickej
10-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the reply! That's really upsetting, but I'll give it a shot.....

tasmanian
10-06-2003, 03:05 AM
If you have a lot of objects about the same size like characters and one super object, say a landscape, it obvious that the camera would be nicer if it's to the scale of the characters rather than the landscape. Unfortunately LW always scales the camera to the largest object in the scene.

There is one workaround though. Load your big object in an empty scene and save the scene.

Load all your other objects in the scene you want to work with and finally choose "load item from scene" to import your big object, the camera should now keep the size of your small objects. You still may have to adjust the layout grid though, or your small objects will "swoop" through your scene with even a minor adjustment.

Hope that works for you.

ruud
10-06-2003, 03:31 AM
I know a shortcut to this... use "[" and "]" to decrease and increase the grid size, this will also zoom your view.

Simon
10-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Before you load the big land object into your scene, keyframe the camera at frame zero (even though there is already a keyframe there), re-enter the grid size (without changing it) on the display tab and press enter. Then load the big object and everything stays the same size!

Simon.

10-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Ruud almost had it:

there are 2 pairs of keys you need to learn

"[" & "]" change the grid size, and with it the displayed size of camera and light position indicators.
"," (comma) & "." (stop) change the zoom of views by the same amount.

so if your camera icons are too big in a viewport, hit "[" a few times and "," (comma) the same number of times.
You will then have the same view area with smaller camera & light Icons.

Remember they are only 'Icons' to show you what you're looking at - they are not any indication of the size of anything.
it's only the 'centre' (where the 'rays' converge) that matters