PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Taking Days To Install :-(

i2dontknow84
05-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Hello,

I just got Lightwave v10 in the mail. I started installing it yesterday afternoon... and this morning the install progress is still at the same place as it was yesterday.

It is still at the halfway point :2guns:

How long does a Lightwave 10 installation typicially take?

Was I supposed to allow the Sentinel install to install at the same time as the main installer installed?

What should I do at this time to get Lightwave to install without taking days or weeks? :help:

i2dontknow84

kosmodave
05-13-2011, 01:03 PM
It sounds like something has hung during the install progress to me. Lightwave should not take more than two or three mins to install depending on system speed ( at least it never has for me ). If there is no disc activity I would be tempted to use task manager ( assuming your on windows ) to kill the install process and start again. As for the Sentinel drivers, you need to install them if they are not on your system otherwise the dongle won't be seen and the Lightwave installer will automatically install them at the appropriate time. If you are just trying the demo version and have no dongle then I don't believe you need to bother installing the Sentinal drivers.

Dave

Edit; just read that you received Lightwave 10 in the mail ( Lucky you.... ) so it sounds like you have the full version so you will need the Sentinel drivers installed.

i2dontknow84
05-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi kosmodave,

Thanks for the info.

This problem installation is on my PC (64 bit Vista).

I was able to install the demo version on my laptop (32 bit Vista). But it gave me a "Lock error".

When I tried installing the demo version on my PC earlier, I had the same problem of the installation stalling like this.

So I only used the demo version on my laptop (32 bit Vista).

Would it maybe help if I keep the Sentinel installation waiting until the first install window finishes? Or is that not possible?

i2dontknow84

kosmodave
05-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Hmmm.. I think you should contact Newtek customer support to see if they can help as I haven't seen any other reports of this kind of issue.

Dave.

Just a thought, are you logged on as administrator? I think it might help if you are.

i2dontknow84
05-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi kosmodave,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried shutting down my anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall. Then the main install files would go quickly, but as soon as the Sentinel install screen came up, then everything would go to a slow crawl.

I did contact tech support.

Later I tried installing Lightwave 10 on my laptop 32 bit. I chose "Custom" and only installed Lightwave without Sentinel. No problems. Then I ran the installer again and only installed Sentinel.

Then the installation worked without any problems.

So now I have Lightwave 10 installed on my 32 bit laptop Vista. I just need to see if the dongle and registration will work on it.

Then I need to see if I can get Lightwave 10 installed on my PC 64 bit Vista doing things the same way.

Thanks again,

i2dontknow84

i2dontknow84
05-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Hello,

On my 32 bit laptop, I used the USB Dongle as instructed in the Install Instructions that came with Lightwave 10, but a "New Hardware Found" Wizard did not come up.

All I got was a message telling me that the driver installed. Don't know if it is a correct Dongle install.

Then I launched Lightwave Modeler and copied the Lock Number that appeared on the Welcome screen.

I tried to register Lightwave but it said that the Lock ID was invalid.

Screenshots are attached.

What should I do?

i2dontknow84

kosmodave
05-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Hi i2dontknow84,
Try plugging your USB dongle into a different USB slot and see if the new hardware found wizard appears, I have had something similar in the past with other USB devices and moving to a different USB slot fixed the issue for me.

Another note for you in case you are not aware, When it comes to getting the 64bit version of Lightwave running you will need a different license Key which you can request from Newtek Customer Support by sending them your name/address and Lock ID.

Good luck.
Dave

i2dontknow84
05-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi kosmodave,

Thanks again for your reply and info.

I did try plugging the dongle into three different USB slots, with no luck. The "Found New Hardware" Wizard still did not come up.

I'll try contacting Customer Support again.

Take care,

i2dontknow84

i2dontknow84
05-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Hello,

Tech Support gave me a URL to go to in order to download the new Sentinel drivers when I called them.

I installed the new Sentinel drivers.

The Found New Hardware wizard did not come up again when I used the dongle.

The first time I launched Lightwave 10 I got a new message:
"Your license key file was not found. Contact NewTek to get a permenent license key (Product Lock: *****).

I was able to register Lightwave 10 with that Product Lock number.

But I am still getting the "Hardware Lock Not Found" error.

I got an email from Newtek that said:

************************************************** **************************************************
Please run the LightWave v9 Registration Wizard to place your permanent license key on your system. For Windows users, the Registration Wizard can be found on your Start Menu, listed as one of the entries in the NewTek LightWave 3D v9 group - Registration.
************************************************** **************************************************

I have v10 and there is nothing in my Start Menu in the Newtek directory that has to do with registering.

I tried launching LW3D v10 again and then I got the same message that I would always get:
"Hardware Lock Not Found."

Screenshots attached.

i2dontknow84

i2dontknow84
05-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Hello,

I read on another post for someone who had the same problem:

"Sometimes you have to manually edit the license key. You can do that with notepad."

Where is this license key located. I looked for it and could not find it.

In which directory in the Program Files folder would it be in?

What would this file be named?

i2dontknow84

Greenlaw
05-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I just keep my license key in with the main program files. For LW 10, that would inside the 'bin' folder. The file needs to be called 'license.key' and should be a plain text document. You can list as many license keys as you own in the document but each license key needs to be on it's own line. You can put 'non-license key' comments on their own line or following the numbers of each line. Tip: I usually precede the comments with ** just to keep things neat and orderly, though I don't think it really matters to Lightwave; I believe Lightwave just ignores any text that doesn't look like a license key code.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I think officially it's supposed to go in the 'licenses' folder in the .NewTek directory in your Documents folder but I just find it easier to keep it in the main program directory like older versions of LW. (BTW, .NewTek might be hidden.) I guess whenever CORE becomes available again, it might make more sense to use the common directory. For now, 'bin' works fine though.

i2dontknow84
05-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks Greenlaw,

I appreciate the info very much.

So if I understand correctly, I would just create my own License File from a text file containing the licence key and save it as 'license.key'?

Please let me know if I misunderstand.

I'll try it out.

Thanks again,

i2dontknow84

i2dontknow84
05-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi Greenlaw,

I created a License Key file, named it as instructed, tried putting it into two different Lightwave license folders, and I still get the "Hardware Lock Not Found" error message.

Thats all the time I can spend on this today.

Maybe tomorrow I will have time to continue with this.

i2dontknow84

Greenlaw
05-14-2011, 05:32 PM
That's strange. I would check with NewTek that you have the correct key for your dongle ID.

BTW, just to be sure, the key code should be in the following format: 0000-0000-0000-0000

If you're entering a number that looks like 00000, then you're entering the dongle ID, which won't work. You need to contact NewTek with this number to get your license key.

Edit: Or you can register the ID online to get your key automatically by email. I would contact them directly though; I know there were problems with the online system recently and I'm not sure it's been fixed yet.

kosmodave
05-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Hi i2dontknow84,
With the dongle plugged into a USB slot look through the USB listing in Device manager in the Windows control panel and check to see if Windows can actually see it. It should be listed as SafeNet USB SuperPro/UltraPro device or at the very least unknown hardware if the drivers didn't install properly. If there is no mention of it at all even when moved to other slots it maybe you have a faulty Dongle :( .

Dave

i2dontknow84
05-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi kosmodave,

Thanks for your reply and for the info.

I will try doing what you said.

Thanks again.

Hi Greenlaw,

Thanks for your reply.

I did copy and paste the License Key that I received in an email from Newtek into the License file that I created. I did not use the dongle ID.

But I did have a trial version of Lightwave 10 installed. I uninstalled it then installed Lightwave 10 from the CD.

Maybe I need to remove some files from the trial version?

If so, which files, located where, how?

i2dontknow84

i2dontknow84
05-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi Hi kosmodave,

I tried plugging the USB dongle into a USB slot and I looked through the USB listings in Device manager in the Windows control panel.

I did see the Sentinel dongle listed there.

Attached is a screenshot.

I did notice that my computer has crashed a few times after I pull the dongle out of my USB slot (there is no "Safely Remove" option in my task bar).

Is there a way to manually start the Found New Hardware wizard and point it to the USB dongle?

i2dontknow84

i2dontknow84
05-16-2011, 02:21 AM
The subject line of the email I got with my Lightwave license says: "LightWave 3D v9 License Key"

I bought Lightwave 3D v10.

Could that be the problem? A v9 license and dongle for a v10 program?

i2dontknow84

Greenlaw
05-16-2011, 02:27 AM
Just a guess but I would say yes; my Lightwave 9 license key is different from my Lightwave 10 license key. You should contact support about getting the upgraded license key. The dongle should be fine though; you can use the same dongle for any version of Lightwave provided you have the proper license key code for it.

Good luck!

kosmodave
05-16-2011, 11:51 AM
It appears windows can see your hardware lock ok so I'm guessing it must be a license key issue then.

I have separate license keys for LW 9 and LW10 the same as GreenLaw so this could be your problem. Have you registered your copy and are you able to login to customer registration at Newtek.com? If so your license key should be stored there. Mine is listed under a heading of HardCore membership with my membership number followed by license numbers for both the 32bit and 64bit versions.

Registration login can be found via the Customer Care menu at the top of this page, select Registration at the bottom of that menu.

I do hope you are able to sort this real soon as it must be very frustrating not having a fully working copy. :goodluck:

Dave

i2dontknow84
05-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi Greenlaw,

Thanks for taking your time to reply. I will contact support again today.

Thanks kosmodave for taking your time to give me the info.

I have registered Lightwave 10 for my laptop (32 bit Vista) and for my PC (64 bit Vista).

Attached is a screenshot.

I will contact support today.

Thanks again for all your help.

i2dontknow84

i2dontknow84
05-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks Greenlaw and kosmodave,

I spoke with Tech Support and discovered the issue.

I did not know that the dongle had to be in a USB port whenever I wanted to use Lightwave 10. I thought it just needed to be installed once.

Do you folks have to always have the dongle in a USB port whenever you use Lightwave?

Maybe tech support did something also on their side, I don't know.

Either way, I can finally use the software :agree:

Thanks again,

i2dontknow84

kosmodave
05-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Great stuff, I'm glad you'v got it all sorted now. I never thought to ask if you had the dongle in when you launched Ligtwave but yes it does need to be in. The good news with the hardware dongle is that it allows you to install and run Lightwave on any computer ie, at work or a friends house etc but only when you bring the dongle with you will the program fully unlock.
Just make sure you LOOK AFTER the dongle especially if it's stuck out the side of a lap top where it can be a bit venerable.

If you have any questions regarding using Lightwave just post them on this forum as there are a lot of friendly and skilled people on here who are always willing to help.

Welcome to Lightwave. :)

Dave