PDA

View Full Version : MD reader and Nodal Displacement from ZBrush

inakito
05-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi there!!
I am currently working on a project using Maya to animate, Zbrush for sculpting and Lightwave for shading, rendering and effects.
We are using MD reader to bring the animation from Maya and all works fine. The Zbrush displacement is also working fine.
The problem comes when I am trying to get the MD reader animation plus the zbrush displacement applied to deform the mesh working together.
I am just being able to use the animation without any kind of displacement or the displacement with any kind of animation...
Did anyone try to get this working before?

Big thanks in advance!

Cageman
05-13-2011, 02:39 PM
You need to apply the displacment through the surface editor. For this to work properly, you can not have multiple surfaces / mesh. Make sure your Subdivision order is set to After Bones.

bpritchard
05-13-2011, 03:53 PM
we actually just wrapped a project where we did the same exact thing. I setup all my displacements through the nodal displacement pane in the displacement panel and it all works great.

inakito
05-16-2011, 04:34 AM
You need to apply the displacment through the surface editor. For this to work properly, you can not have multiple surfaces / mesh. Make sure your Subdivision order is set to After Bones.

Are you meaning using the node editor displacement or actually using the surface editor to displace the mesh? In the case you using the surface editor can I see what type of node are you using?

I am currently using the node editor displacement to modify the mesh with no luckwhen the md reader is on, even if subdivide order is set up to last...

How did u get it to work bpritchard?

Cheers!

Boris Goreta
05-16-2011, 04:47 AM
You don't have to use displacement node editor at all. In the surface editor just use 2d image node with displacement map in it and substraction node to substract 0.5 from it and plug it in the displacement input of the surface. In the displacement tab od the object set the bump to some value and you are set. Now you just have to play with the displacement order.

Boris Goreta
05-16-2011, 04:57 AM
There is actually a lot more you need to do so I'm posting screenshots. Cheers.

inakito
05-20-2011, 03:32 AM
thaks a lot guys!!

Chris S. (Fez)
05-20-2011, 05:10 AM
Is there a native solution for Vector Displacement or do we still need Denis plugs?

Boris Goreta
05-20-2011, 05:29 AM
The images I posted is a native solution, MDD displacement node is lw node.

bpritchard
05-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Heya inakito,

Sorry i didn't get back to this sooner... but yeah i set it up exactly like Boris noted and it worked for our project very well.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
The images I posted is a native solution, MDD displacement node is lw node.

Yes, but that looks like a grayscale normal displacement map. Vector displacement setup is the exact same as normal displacement?

I have been using Denis's Vector Map (well, before I switched to Modo...but am thinking of moving back to LW for a few projects):

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm

Boris Goreta
05-20-2011, 12:22 PM
What is a vector map and what do you use it for ?

Chris S. (Fez)
05-21-2011, 02:05 AM
http://area.autodesk.com/mudbox2011/features#vector

Vector Displacements: "represent displacements that do not simply follow the normal: for example, forms with appendages, undercuts, folds, and bulges, such as a human ear"

Cageman
05-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Is there a native solution for Vector Displacement or do we still need Denis plugs?

So far I havn't seen any Vector Displacement tool natively from NT. So, you need to use DPKit.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Cool. Thanks.

inakito
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
There is actually a lot more you need to do so I'm posting screenshots. Cheers.

Super great big thanks Boris!!!
Displacement is currently working and the mdd too.
Hopefully at some point we will be able to show some renders from the project
Stay tuned ;)