PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Vertex Normals

Manveer Dhillon
05-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to export my Lightwave 10 model as a .obj to work in Octane Render. However I'm having conflicts with the vertex normals. Is there a way to export the .obj from Lightwave to always write vertex normals? I'm having a mismatch where some polygons are writing the vertex normals and some are not writing during the export. This is causing Octane to crash for me.

akademus
05-11-2011, 02:15 AM
In Modeler hiy "o" to bring up Options panel.

Under OBJ settings you have OBJ Write Normals check box.

Try that.

prometheus
05-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to export my Lightwave 10 model as a .obj to work in Octane Render. However I'm having conflicts with the vertex normals. Is there a way to export the .obj from Lightwave to always write vertex normals? I'm having a mismatch where some polygons are writing the vertex normals and some are not writing during the export. This is causing Octane to crash for me.

Is It purely a lightwave obj?..I get crashes when trying to export out object from lightwave wich are pre-converted from solidworks-deep exploration to obj format and then in to lightwave and export out again, that always crashes octane, and this is with vertex normals, but thatīs probably a different thing.

You should be fine if it is purely a lightwave model, but I believe you have to merge points..so no loose ones hang around.

also check the general options in lightwave 10, there you can check some obj export settings.
And donīt forget to freeze your subpatches before obj export.

Overall octane feels a little unstable for the moment and not up to date with file formats, collada format is about to arrive ..but if you look at keyshot wich have much more formats from solidworks, rhino, collada already..the obj format is a little thin.

Keyshot is much more easier to use with a nicer UI and a larger material set, at least in the demo version, in octane you canīt drag and drop materials, on the downside in keyshot ..It has no physical sky like octane.

Hard to tell wich one is the faster of them, octane is purely gpu and keyshot purely cpu, so it depends on your system.

Michael

Michael

prometheus
05-11-2011, 05:05 AM
objects with overlapping polys or vertices..donīt know wich, seem to crash octane sometimes..

In this image I have an edge loop selected on a freezed obj, now if I move that edgeloop up or down until it overlaps another edgeloop(marked red)and then export out obj, Octane will crash.

Ivé attached the obj sample for you to check...the obj files should load fine, but if you select and move the edgeloops to overlap the others..instant crash.

Michael

Manveer Dhillon
05-11-2011, 02:34 PM
objects with overlapping polys or vertices..donīt know wich, seem to crash octane sometimes..

In this image I have an edge loop selected on a freezed obj, now if I move that edgeloop up or down until it overlaps another edgeloop(marked red)and then export out obj, Octane will crash.

Ivé attached the obj sample for you to check...the obj files should load fine, but if you select and move the edgeloops to overlap the others..instant crash.

Michael

Thanks for .obj I'll be taking a look at that.

I was curious how you got that "red" marked preview of the overlapping geometry? Did you do that manually or is that something I can check up on in Lightwave 10?

prometheus
05-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Thanks for .obj I'll be taking a look at that.

I was curious how you got that "red" marked preview of the overlapping geometry? Did you do that manually or is that something I can check up on in Lightwave 10?

the marked preview was just simple done in photoshop, I draw a path along the edges and filled it with a stroke color.

would have been interesting to be able to use sketch color on edges, otherwise you can markup similar to that with sketch color on different polys, or simply take a printscreen with a certain color for selected edges and then change the selection color when you selected the other edges and take a print screen of that and then just mix it in photoshop.

for whatever you need it for:question:

Michael