PDA

View Full Version : Replay With Clock

smccl
05-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've been asked to find a replay system that will work with our Tricaster Broadcast that can embed a game and shot clock. It would serve a double purpose for broadcasts and for the officials to review plays. Right now we use Kris Gurrad's scoreboard to "simulate" the clock but the officials need the actual game and shot clock with their replay. I was wondering if there is a way for 3Play to do this somehow? Or if anyone has any ideas on how to make this happen another way? Thanks in advance for the brainstorm.

-Sean

DStoneburner
05-10-2011, 03:13 PM
We are doing a similar thing. With our new control room we are getting a new 3 play 820. For the refs only, we have decided to use our old replay system a Sony DSR 1000. Basically we are going to get a quad multi viewer, feed the three main cameras into it and a camera that just shoots the game/shot clock. The output will go to the DSR 1000 and be recorded as a single quad recording. Then if a replay is asked for, we have all three cameras and the clock at the same time, everytime. Although we don't have it working yet, I have high hopes.

brians0105
05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi Sean,

The 3Play is not going to be able to internally do what you're asking. You would have to have some kind of source upstream of the 3Play that is taking your clock camera and resizing/cropping it into the corner of the image.

If you only need the clock on a replay channel for, say, the last 60 seconds of each quarter or half, you could remove the simulated clock from Kris's software and replace it with a clock cutout LiveSet (search my previous posts) and have this on Program. You would then record Program into one of your 3Play inputs. So you would have the real clock recorded -- but your viewers would also be seeing it.

Another option is to pick up a cheap external video mixer like the Videonics MX1 on eBay and feed one of your cameras (probably a wide camera) into it as well as a clock camera. Use the internal DVE features of that mixer to re-size the clock camera over your wide camera. Feed this into your 3Play for official replays. However, since you're using the TriCaster Broadcast, you are probably using SD-SDI cameras, which won't work with the Videonics MX1 without D-A converters.

Another option that can work in conjunction with Kris' LT[Scoreboards] software is ScoreOCR from Graphics Outfitters. We use both of those products for our broadcasts. ScoreOCR will take a clock camera feed and monitor the digits on the scoreboard. It will convert those digits to your graphics and keep the clock and score updated accurate to the tenth of a second. Once again, you would have to record your Program output into one of your 3Play channels, but you would have accurate clock data on your replay. Whether or not the officials will be accept that option will depend on the sport, conference, and the officials themselves.

Hope that helps a little.

Brian

kltv
05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
The original 3Play might be able to accomplish this for you in the 3in/3out mode... but it will eat up inputs. You could feed two "real" game cameras into inputs 1 and 2 of the 3Play, and a scoreboard camera into input 3. Then when you playback out of the 3Play, they'll all be synced up. All three outputs would need to be fed into the switcher. In the TriCaster, you'd need to build a LiveSet that would crop/squeeze the clock input over the two replay video inputs. That would work, but eats half your inputs to do it...

Kris

brians0105
05-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I forgot to post a link to the discussion on here about ScoreOCR. Here it is (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114551&highlight=ocr).

smccl
05-10-2011, 05:08 PM
DstoneBurner, that sounds pretty interesting, let me know how that works out.

Brian, thanks for the advice, the Score OCR looks fantastic for what it does and how it integrates with the scoreboard is fantastic. For the league that would be playing in the venue they only need one camera with the clock. So that would most likely be the wide shot. The other angles would be used for foot on the line and whatever else they need. We actually do use a composite feed from our cameras, so the extra switcher idea is pretty good also. Especially since the ref's would only need one camera with the clocks.

Kris, that actually sounds like a really good idea. Killing the inputs isn't the best case but it could work. I like the idea of being able to take the clock and use it on the 2nd angle. Thanks again.

I'll let you know where we decide to go with it. The other option is to scrap the 3Play and just get the XOS replay for the officials. Which wouldn't exactly be in our favor, since we'd want the multiple angles for replays.

Also a quick question, if we upgraded our tricaster to the 850 would this whole idea work with that since it has the a kind of upstream keyer?

You guys have been a huge help, Thank You!

-Sean

DStoneburner
05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
I'll let you know if it works like we hope. My understanding of the new 820 is that it's 8 in, so in essence you could have as many ins as you want for the refs, but you still would need to key or overlay the clock camera. The good thing would be that it has 2 outs, so you could desginate one out just for the refs. Basically you could have your cameras clean and keyed but you may have to DA them.

vanderwielen
06-16-2011, 08:10 PM
the NCAA and most professional sports require an image of the clock laid over program video when doing a review. you can not use any digital image...whether is is a serial feed or ocr of the board for official reviews.