PDA

View Full Version : Floyd...

SonicN2O
05-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry... I don't know what else to name this character I made that's supposed to me made out of the same material as gummy bears are, but I'm running into difficulties with texturing.
Scene file:
Sorry, I don't know where to go from here.
\:):):):):):):):)

dee
05-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Try one of the sss shaders or materials.

Igu4n4
05-09-2011, 09:59 AM
There's lots of ways you can approach this. Nodes have a great starting point, remembering that Gelatin has a lot of properties of coloured glass. I personally prefer to use the classic shader layers for something like this for flexibility purposes. You can achieve very similar results, although colour by depth is a little trickier to set up, Gummy Bears aren't so dense an object that colour by depth is not really a quality you need to be showing.

Your first issue that you need for any kind of transparent object, is what it is showing through itself, because this is the key factor in what makes it feel right, or not. I see you started off with an Backdrop image, but your immediate problem is that you aren't showing it through you object. I put a few images together to help illustrate the points, and how you can proceed to refine your approach to get what you want.

If you have a gummy surface with the appropriate properties, but have it on a solid background (which people tend to do), you end up with an object that has no definition.

As you can see the last example makes all the difference in setting up the stage for your gummy object. You're on this path, so good stuff.

What you need to think about is really what properties give you the appropriate gummy surface. What makes Gummy, gummy? Well first is that it is usually coloured, (although there are clear ones, they're not so visually interesting). So finding that rich colour isn't as simple as setting up just a solid red for example. To make colours more alive they need to shift slightly across the surface of the object. This is most often necessary for any surface. Giving colour a slight fall off helps bring out the volume of the colour and give it more tangeability. So it might be prudent for you to use a gradient in the colour channel using an incidence parameter. Start off with a good solid red in the center, and move towards a darker version of that same red as you reach the outter.

The same holds true for a bit of reflection. Even objects that are a bit more matte have a higher incidence of reflection on their edges than in the center. Gummy bears can be shiney, or matte, or in the middle, so using a reflection incidence will again give your surface a bit more presence. Starting off with minimal refelction in the center of the incidence (surfaces facing the camera), and building up that amount of reflection as you reach the edge of the incidence, (surfaces falling away from or more perpendicular to the camera). You'll want some specularity and glossiness on your surface that corresponds to how you want the surface to appear. Generally the more reflective an object is, the higher the spec and gloss values are. The more Matte, and less reflectinve, the lower these values are. These can be adjusted to help enhance the effect.

Finally Transparency and Relfraction are going to be used to indicate how dense you want these objects to be. But this comes with a gotcha'. The more transparent you make an object, the more colour you lose. You want this great red object, but you also want it to be transparent, and retain that nice red. (I'll get to that in a sec). First here's an image showing the surface properties we were just discussing.

Now getting back to the colour/transparency issue. What you would want to do, is move the Advanced tab of the Shader Editor. You have two selections that will make all the difference. First is Colour Highlights, and second is Colour Filter. The Colour Highlights brings in colour from your surface and adds it to the colour of the light that is present in the Specular highlight. A lot of surfaces absorb some of their colour properties into their reflected light, and its a nice way to help make the surface feel less artificial and contrived. Specifically when dealing with objects with transparency that have some organic properties to them. The next is the Color Filter, and it does just that, it acts like a filter does. By increasing the level of this when your object is transparent, it will bring in the colour value and pull it to the transparency of the object, allowing you to have good transparency, but retain colour information. Here is a visual showing how each adds to the aesthetic of the surface.

Finally, you need lighting. 2-3 point lighting is pretty mandatory in any setup to help the object feel volumetric and allow light and shadow to describe the surface. In the case of transparent objects, I usually use a general 2 point lighting setup, but introduce a third light that I place underneath the object. This allows you to give the object the appearance of bounced light from a) the ground, and b) light trapped within it's surface. You want to do this in a not-so-overblown way, because you can easily over do this and it ends up by having the counter effect. Here's a placement setup for such a lighting setup. (colour the lights appropriately to your taste of what you're trying to achieve).

This is all just one way of doing this. Like any project there are multiple ways of achieving similar results. This might give you an alternate way of looking at, or help give you some reasons for why what you have currently is appearing like what you want in your mind's eye. Experiment with the values and approaches so you can understand and predict what they will do. Remember, do'ing is the only way to learn, and see how these principles work.

Hope this helped some. If you have any questions, post'em.

Steve.

SonicN2O
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Awesome thanks for the help! I rigged floyd with IK, and now IK doesn't work properly.

Igu4n4
05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
ahh.. well IK is a whole other ball of wax ;) .. my specialities are in modelling, and surface/lighting techniques. I'll let some of the Rigging master's chime in on that one ;)

I'm just here trying to help you with your first problem.

Steve.

SonicN2O
05-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I fixed the problem- I had limits on all of the bones, and "Enable IK" was off. :stumped::stumped::stumped::stumped::stumped: