PDA

View Full Version : Scene from Maya to Lightwave - Maya2LW Scripts Workflow

yakkib
05-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Hey all,

I've been working with a maya animator for a few days and we've been trying to get quite a large scene for a TVC over to lightwave from maya for lighting, surfacing and rendering.

We've decided to use the maya2lw scripts, and we've been able to export parts of the scene out to LW. The scene involves two robotic characters, and so it seems that we would have to export each piece of the character as a mesh deformation (.mdd) and also the .obj - and then link the obj and mdd in lightwave. This just seems like its going to take forever as these models have a lot of parts to them.

Are we missing something with how these scripts are meant to be used?

Thanks, help very much appreciated

yakkib
05-09-2011, 04:51 AM
We ended up solving this problem by converting the characters into one mesh in maya - and then re-skinning the characters.

We were then able to able to export the .mdd data for the whole mesh, and also the obj and connect them in lightwave.

The maya2lw scripts are great, I would have just liked a video tutorial to show me the whole process from exporting in maya to linking it up in lightwave.

If anyone is keen for something like this i'd be happy to do something up.:thumbsup:

Thanks