PDA

View Full Version : Making poly from points -> wrong normal?

madno
05-08-2011, 04:10 AM
I am trying to make a poly by selecting points and using "p" shortcut. It creates the poly but the normal of it is not in the middle of the poly.
I tried by selecting the point in each possible order (clockwise, counter clockwise, I tried several times each time selecting another point as the first one). Used the forum and google search but could'nt find a solution.

Any idea what my mistake is?

(performed a merge point on the geometry altready and checked statistics - everything seems to be ok).

probiner
05-08-2011, 06:02 AM
I don't see how that normal affects you, is it messing with the modeling tools?

madno
05-08-2011, 06:17 AM
No I don't have a problem so far. But I am not sure whether I made something wrong that might cause problems later on. The books I have, do tell what normals are, but not how they should be. I just expected them in the middle of the poly but not at the edge, so I thought I am doing something wrong. But as of now everthing works; did some boolean and so on.
Do you think those normals are nothing to worry about?

evenflcw
05-08-2011, 06:57 AM
How many points does that polygon have (check in statistics or polygon info, not just visually)? The normal (a direction vector) seems correct anyway. So I agree, it shouldn't cause any problems, but the underlying reason for it being offset might be.

Sensei
05-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Polygon normal visible in viewport is just hint for user, without any effect in render time. Normal vectors have just direction, no origin. Viewport visible normal center location is calculated by adding all polygon points and then dividing by number of them.

madno
05-08-2011, 09:29 AM
So nothing harmfull.
Thank you for the information.

probiner
05-08-2011, 10:27 AM
For what is worth....

it snaps from 18-19 degrees and at 32 looks like it is at the edge.

Cheers

jeric_synergy
05-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Huh. I never really thought about this, since it never makes a difference, and always assumed the normal was placed at the centroid of the poly.