PDA

View Full Version : How much Ram do you have?

Tails
10-04-2003, 04:11 PM
I've got 1280mb of DDR333 Ram, a 256 and 2 x 512's. I gotta admit I didn't notice a difference when I added the last 512mb, but with most of my PC programs, you wouldn't.

Adobe Photoshop, Premiere and Lightwave would be the most memory hungry I guess.

I'm thinking of selling one of the 512mb sticks though, because honestly I need the money. But I got them for a great price (well, great here in New Zealand), NZ$99, which is about US$50. I'd sell it for the same price.

Anyways, I was also wondering, how much ram do you guys (and gals) have?

Dellik
10-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Take any advice i give with a pinch of salt as i'm a newbie on here too... but if i was you i wouldn't sell any Ram. You can never have enough of it!

It's like running on a treadmill... if you stop trying to keep up you fall off the back... :)

If i was so desperate for the money though i'd sell my soul... not the Ram!!!!!!:eek:

Oooooh and by the way i have 1 gig of ram so i'll buy the 512 off you... just joking.

Anyway hope that at least helped you a little.

munky
10-06-2003, 04:35 AM
Keep your Ram sell your mum

I have 1.5Gb of ram and if I could put more in my mac I would. When I get a new Mac and a Pc(for the kids) I'll be putting a minimum of 2gbs in each. I don't know the technicalities of it but more is better.

regards

paul

ruud
10-06-2003, 05:05 AM
Hi as long as you don't create Hollywood style complex Sci-Fi shots with millions of poly's and numerious space vessels... 512 mb of ram should do just fine :)

So if you need the money... you don't need the ram...

Ruuterdetuutert

iluvatar
10-06-2003, 05:06 AM
i sometimes render on my laptop with 64 mb ram :p for serious renders, i use a renderfarm, all 512 mb ram... but i ordered a new laptop (used) wich has 320 mb ram :D

WizCraker
10-06-2003, 05:26 AM
Currently 512, hopefully more in the future when I upgrade to a Boxx Dual Opteron.

Tails
10-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I decided to sell the Ram. Next month though, I'll put in a water cooling system and try to get it as quiet as possible. Because at the moment, since this is in my bedroom, I can't really leave it on over night. The ram I sold will pay for half of that, which I think is an excellent improvement to the PC.

You can never have enough ram? One day I'll buy another 512mb again... one day it shall be mine again.

Cageman
10-06-2003, 05:36 PM
It seems to me that I canīt get enough ram. Iīve got 1GB in a dual AMD right now, but some of my scenes are complex and I always have Photoshop running (and sometimes Avid)... so... if you really need to have alot of programs (or few, memoryhungry) running at the same time, you shouldnīt sell the ram... =)

Ohh...by the way... a guy in my class has 1GB ram that he wantīs to give away to me... should I accept? ;))

MarkG
10-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Yeah, not doing Hollywood-quality renders either I haven't noticed any difference going from 512MB to 1GB on my machine, at least not in Lightwave. I have noticed that even with 1GB of RAM XP will still "helpfully" swap out programs to disk in order to expand the disk cache if I haven't used the program for a while: pain in the butt having to wait for it to swap back in when I re-open the window.

As for overnight rendering, how loud a PC do you have? I often leave mine running overnight in my bedroom, either rendering from Lightwave or Premiere, MPEG-compressing video or downloading big files like Linux ISOs. Even with three hard drives and eight fans on various parts of the machine it doesn't get loud enough to stop me sleeping.

WizCraker
10-07-2003, 04:11 PM
you can change that in the admistrative tools for memory management. XP is set up for the modest user not the 3D user.

Tom Wood
10-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
you can change that in the admistrative tools for memory management. XP is set up for the modest user not the 3D user.

Say that again, real slowwwwly, so I can follow along.

Please?

TW

(BTW, I have 2Gb and have NO idea if it helps or not. "They" said it would be 'better'.)

MarkG
10-08-2003, 05:13 AM
What option changes that? I've hunted through the control panels looking for anything that might affect it, but the only option I found that looked vaguely relevant was in the device manager to 'adjust memory usage for best performance of programs/system cache', which is already set to programs.

WizCraker
10-08-2003, 06:17 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/server/pae/paemem.mspx