PDA

View Full Version : Aura File Requester Bug

Scott Bates
02-28-2003, 09:43 PM
AuraVT 2.5b - I've always used the Aura file requester rather than the Windows requester when loading/importing and saving/exporting files. In the latest update patch (3890) however, Aura locks up with a never-ending wait cursor whenever I attempt to access to my C:[System], G:[Data], or I:[Backup] system partitions; I have to go to Task Manager to kill it. It will go to either of my video stripe sets or my audio drive with no problem. When I change the Interface Settings to use the Windows file requester I can access any drive/partition.

Please check only one:
___ Known problem/bug
___ Weird Alien Anomaly
___ Moon in the wrong phase
___ Just not my day
___ It's Friday
___ Other: _______________
___ All of the above

Suggestion(s) to solve the cause checked above:?

dhomas
03-01-2003, 07:34 AM
I have encountered this from time to time. I think it has to do with a particular file type that it doesn't like. I haven't yet figured out what it is. Try making a directory, and copy files from one of the crashing directories into it, and keep checking the file requester in Aura to see if it crashes or not. Should be able to isolate the problem files that way. When you figure it out, let the Aura developers know.

Scott Bates
03-01-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks dhomas, I'll pursue it further. The problem doesn't seem to necessarily have anything to do with file types (.tga, .png, etc.) since it will lock up when I want to import a still image from my G: drive where I keep stills. The problem is at the Drive/Volume level, not the Directory level. It happens when I try to select a particular "volume" in the AuraVT file requester. I never have the chance to get down to the directory level since it won't let me select the volume I need first.

pepe
03-01-2003, 09:26 AM
By any 'chances', aren't there any files at the root of your volumes, that aura would try to load as images, and fail?

Oh, of course, this question has a meaning if you have icons enabled. If it crashes with icons disabled, i have no idea about the reason of the crash.

dhomas
03-01-2003, 09:30 AM
For me it doesn't matter if icons are enabled or not.

Scott Bates
03-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Pepe, you just tagged the bug. I never thought about icons being enabled or disabled (I have always had them enabled, the default), but if I have them enabled it will crash if I'm trying to access my C:, G: or I: volumes. If I disable icons as soon as I open the requester I can go to any volume and directory, but once there, as soon as I click the Icons button to enable them, and then try to scroll the list or click the Scan button it will immediately lock up Aura every time. Repeatable to the max.

At least now that I know what the problem is I can work around it, but it's definately a bug that showed up (for me) in the 3890 update patch.

What's the bug reporting address?

dhomas
03-01-2003, 10:12 AM
The bug has existed in Aura for a long time... sometimes it hides though.

pepe
03-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by dhomas
For me it doesn't matter if icons are enabled or not.
It had to be that. Aura only accesses the content of a file if the icons are enabled. At least, that's what i guessed.
Normally, Aura accesses to status ( stat() ) of the file when there are no icons, and tries a best guess when icons are enabled.
What frights me is that the bug may well not be on Aura's team side. I fear that as Aura uses the new media api of windows, it delegated file recognition to it, thus loosing a bit of control on what's happening.
Let's hope it's not the case.

Scott Bates
03-01-2003, 10:20 AM
If the bug's been there all along then I've been pretty lucky it didn't show up until now. Wish I'd known about it yesterday before a customer was sitting here wondering what kind of buggy software this guy was using; not an impressive demo of the tools I use.

dhomas
03-01-2003, 10:25 AM
The bug has existed for at least as long as I have been beta testing. And it comes and goes, as I've had it work and not work without change anything in a directory. And it will happen even without icons enabled, but not as frequently.

pepe
03-01-2003, 10:46 AM
The bug has existed for at least as long as I have been beta testing.
Certainly. I've often encountered bugs that i was the only one to have, that were very chaotic. We just have to live with that, and hope they'll encounter it also themselves.
But, that doesn't mean that you don't have an other bug than the one that got tracked down. There might be a more vicious bug, based on window refresh, or something like that.