PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Question

michaeldejong
05-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Hello LW gurus.

Just need some real quick advice from anyone with insight and time :hey:

Been running an AMD Athlon 2-Core 5050 machine for a few years now, basically bought it before I even decided I wanted to get into 3D development.

So, I want to get my hands on a new machine. What I want to know is should I go for a quad-core machine, or an i5/i7 . Forgive me being fairly uneducated in this department.

Also, does LW like NVIDIA graphics cards ?

Thank you to anyone who can help. :)

:lwicon:

LW_Will
05-07-2011, 04:09 AM
I just started with my new system;

AND Phenom II BLACK x6 3.3ghz 1100t (The fastest AMD processor)
8 gig RAM DDR3 - 1600mhz Corsair VENGEANCE (on the way to 16gig)
ASUS M4A87TD MB - good board, not too much fluff (no 1394, no eSATA, but there are 2 USB 3.0)
1 TB Seagate 7200 - Barracuda
MSI N250GTS -1gb waiting for upgrade to 570... love the nVidia cards.
oh, and an LG BluRay writer... 50gb is great for backups!

Using my existing hard drive, graphics card, and case... the whole thing was less than $600. Not bad for an upgrade.

The thing about this system (Ratings 7.5 <of 7.9> for CPU and Memory) when it boots, the BIOS says "6 Cores ACTIVATED!"

hehehe

prometheus
05-07-2011, 08:21 AM
My vote for nvidia cards, not only for lightwave in mind, but for other cuda or gpu graphics software like..or the bullet physics engine wich can utilize the cuda architechture...the Nvidia gtx 460 series and up might be a good choice.
The new cs5 creative suite is also benifitting from the cuda stuff I believe and especially if your using 64 bit systems and are doing work with after effects.

If you work with heavy cad constructions you might want to pick, the nvidia quadro series wich are more expensive thou.

otherwise, check up on the cpu to get as many processor cores for lightwave VPR and perhaps the upcoming Keyshot renderer wich is blasting fast too.

and a lot of ram..probably minimum 12 gb.

Michael

kalero
05-07-2011, 10:09 AM
This pretty much echos what prometheus said about getting as many cores as you can, but I thought it was a fun read.

http://blog.renderstream.com/?p=1130&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Cgarena-GetAttentionInCG+%28CGArena+-+Get+Attention+in+the+Computer+Graphics+Community% 29&utm_content=Google+Reader

michaeldejong
05-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Ok, thanks guys :)

I guess I wasnt sure if I wanted to get something with as many cores as I could, (probably looking at affording 6 or 8) or if I wanted an i7. See I dont know the difference between those processors and how it relates to the number of threads. Thats what Im wanting the most - is rendering horsepower. Ill go for the high amount of RAM of course :) And sounds like an nvidia card would be ok with LW.

Thanks again.