PDA

View Full Version : apple dropping intel chips soon?

cresshead
05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
http://semiaccurate.com/2011/05/05/apple-dumps-intel-from-laptop-lines/

lower power consumption appears to be the driving force behind this idea to move over to ARM based CPU's

so what does that mean for Lightwave on laptops in 2 years time?

recompile for ARM chips?
REALLY poor rendering performance?
bootcamp to windows?..i have noted that the next version of windows will support the ARM chip.

dsol
05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I think this is incredibly unlikely. Having said that, I could see Apple adding an ARM CPU to their laptops to offer an alternative low-power boot option, running iOS or a limited subset of basic apps.

But mostly I think this entire idea is nonsense. Unless Apple's seen something seriously impressive coming in future ARM designs that makes them perform significantly better (as in raw performance, not just power usage), there's no way they're going to switch to ARM in their OSX machines.

Of course, for the life of me I can't work out why Microsoft is porting Windows 8 to ARM (Whither thou backwards compatibility?)

cresshead
05-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Of course, for the life of me I can't work out why Microsoft is porting Windows 8 to ARM (Whither thou backwards compatibility?)

they're supporting ARM for the tablet market as they want a slice of that pie alongside the ipad, rim and andriod based tablets/

05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
That would be, "Apples for the masses!"
The ARM technology is becoming far-ranging. Intel and MS better get off their butts on this one.
The X86 factor needs to figure out the next step. The 3D tech out of intel may head some of the ARM creep off.

My present phone, an Atrix, is as fast as a 486 computer. Dual cpu, 8 core gpu... it's based on the ARM tech. If Core will be able to run on linux compiled for ARM, I could see myself going away from the x86 camp.

4dartist
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I saw that in the rumors sites.. I hope it's some sort of hybrid thing or painless transition if it ever happened.. I just can't see software companies keeping up with yet another big change. I do have to say I've been so happy with the change to intel processors. So who knows..

warmiak
05-07-2011, 09:31 AM
That would be, "Apples for the masses!"
The ARM technology is becoming far-ranging. Intel and MS better get off their butts on this one.
The X86 factor needs to figure out the next step. The 3D tech out of intel may head some of the ARM creep off.

My present phone, an Atrix, is as fast as a 486 computer. Dual cpu, 8 core gpu... it's based on the ARM tech. If Core will be able to run on linux compiled for ARM, I could see myself going away from the x86 camp.

I can tell you first hand from running the same code on my Windows box and on iPad 2, the CPU you are talking about (Cortex 9) is about 8-9 times slower than my x86 AMD.

Would you want to run Lightwave on something like that ?
What's the benefit beyond just not being "Intel" ?

dsol
05-07-2011, 11:43 AM
they're supporting ARM for the tablet market as they want a slice of that pie alongside the ipad, rim and andriod based tablets/

Yeah, and that makes zero sense to me unless they're also creating a totally touch-based interface for it. Which of course means creating a separate platform for app developers. Which they have already in windows phone 7, and should just scale up for tablets. Oh well, the Market will decide in the end. But personally, I think this fragmented approach is going to not make them any friends with developers.

dsol
05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Also, just to re-iterate that Apple aren't going move OSX macs to ARM any time soon. For starters, beyond the fact that performance isn't remotely close to intel desktop CPUs, none of them are 64-bit yet. And if you didn't notice, 10.7 is 64-bit only.

Maybe in a few years it might make sense to have a unified architecture and move everything to ARM. We'll have to see if any of the upcoming HPC parts being designed by nvidia and others show signs of that being feasible.

Lamont
05-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I really hope they don't screw everyone who does the Apple dev stuff. Can't buy another Mac.

dsol
05-10-2011, 08:26 AM
It's not true. File it with all the other nonsense rumours we've heard over the years, like:

Apple buying ARM
Apple buying Nintendo
Apple buying Twitter

I congratulate the author of this stoopid rumour though - it seems to have gained real traction as a meme. I might as well start an equally stupid rumour...

"Apple to switch back to PowerPC with new custom design by in-house team"

Lightwolf
05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah, and that makes zero sense to me unless they're also creating a totally touch-based interface for it. Which of course means creating a separate platform for app developers.
Apparently they are. And the platform has actually be around for a bit (WPF). Which is essentially what's used on the Win7 phone as well (which is a different OS though).

Cheers,
Mike

COBRASoft
05-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Lightwolf: Silverlight on Phone7, not WPF ;).

cresshead
05-10-2011, 05:21 PM

wpf?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/WPF.html

when pigs fly?:D

Lightwolf
05-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Not that there's much of a difference...

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
05-11-2011, 01:32 AM
wpf?

Windows Presentation Foundation -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Presentation_Foundation

Cheers,
Mike