PDA

View Full Version : How to copy paste plugin on multiple objects?

Dennik
05-05-2011, 06:33 PM
I really need a plugin that would let me to copy paste one plugin, (be it motion or displacement) on a selection of objects.
Please let me know if there is something out there. I'm killing myself doing it manually.

nickdigital
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Notepad?

Dennik
05-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Notepad?

I think it would take me even more time to decipher your cryptic answer. :)
Does this have to do with object ID lists inside the scene file? I've never done it that way.

nickdigital
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Oh sorry. LWS files are editable in a text editor. So you could edit it in notepad. For example, its' an easy way to do a massive object replacement just by doing a Find/Replace. You do have to be careful about what you're doing. For the most part it's pretty easy to read what's going on in the LWS file. You could do a search for your plug-in and see if you can grab all the data associated with it. Then you could copy that entry and paste it where it needs to go for your other objects. It will require a lot of digging and careful line by line reading though.

If you know Python my guess is that would be another route to go. I don't know Python well enough to help but from what I've been seeing, Python might be a good candidate for your problem.

Of course if there's a plug-in out there that already exists then that'd be better. Off hand I don't know of one. I couldn't find one on lwplugindb.

Dennik
05-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I think It would probably take me just as much time to go through the scene file. My scene is huge. Way too many objects.
I already have the selection lists in scene editor. I just wish lightwave would allow multiple paste on every item on the selection list instead of just the first selected.

I'm surprised nobody has ever written anything like that before.

Sensei
05-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm surprised nobody has ever written anything like that before.

Because it's not possible..

at least not using LWSDK as 3rd party plugin

Dennik
05-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Because it's not possible..

at least not using LWSDK as 3rd party plugin

Hey Sensei. Thanks for anwswering.
I understand this could be an SDK limitation.

If I had the SDK knowledge, knowing this limitation I'd probably make a plugin that saves the name of the original (source) object whose plugin settings are to be copied plus the list of objects to copy those settings to, save all that info in the scene file, and access it from outside lightwave with a stand alone program that would read that plugin info, and copy the plugin settings from the source object to the objects on the selection list.
Would that be possible?

Sensei
05-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Would that be possible?

Yes, changing .lws would be the only way to handle this task. So it doesn't even have to be plugin, might be regular executable.