PDA

View Full Version : Fast Motion or Stop Motion?

Walk Worthy
05-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I will film 60 drum sets being set up and will shoot from the ceiling of the auditorium strait down. I could let the camera run for 2 to 4 hours and then speed portions of it up. But am wondering if there are any other ideas out there on how best to get a fast motion effect. Being the first time to do this, am wondering what tips others might have. (I use the Vixio H100).

Thanks!

Mutley Eugenius
05-12-2011, 09:34 AM
I had real success in doing time-lapse photography by using a Canon EOS camera with a remote clicker plugged in. The clicker was a homebuilt 9V DC power supply with a resistor-capacitor time delay, and acontact closure to discharge the capacitor and also click the shutter. Vary the voltage to the capacitor and you get different times. Mine was ten minutes between clicks. With the right fixed-aperture settings on th a camera and a big enough chip, you take the JPGs later into the timeline & wham, it looks awesome!

I have never bothered researching doing this with a video camera or even if there are settings in video cameras for slow framerates.

If it's only a few hours, record it, transfer it, and speed it up to 2000% in SpeedEdit.

If it's more, you need a bigger hard drive and a longer transfer.

Pete Draves
05-12-2011, 11:12 AM
The VT has capture and builds an avi using time lapse capture.
The settings are set by the user.
Pete

Walk Worthy
05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks Mutley. I ended up taking a pic with the Canon HF100 at intervals and worked great. There are parts that I am speeding up to 1000% but it stutters on playback. Is this due to lack of RAM? ALso, will it be smooth once rendered out and burned to DVD?

psievers
05-16-2011, 12:45 PM
The VT has capture and builds an avi using time lapse capture.
The settings are set by the user.
Pete

Does the SE in the 850 have this option?

Mutley Eugenius
05-16-2011, 02:54 PM
"Is this due to lack of RAM? ALso, will it be smooth once rendered out and burned to DVD? "

Probably, or disk access speed.

Render a low-res WMV file & watch it, or an MPEG2 file or whatever. Then you'll know what it'll look like when you burn a DVD.