PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #119 Barbecue.

XswampyX
05-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #119 Barbecue.
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This weeks topic is: Barbecue.

Well works sucks!

So lets all get together and relax with a nice B-B-Q. It's items you would use, like the actual barbecue, utensils, seating, sauces, burgers, shrimps, etc. If your a vegetarian you can model some coleslaw. Bonus points for not giving me food poisoning.

Have fun!

Time Limit - 60 minutes.
Deadline - Wednesday 11th MAY 2011, 2200 GMT.

Edit - Erm it's #119 not 118.

hunter
05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Sounds fun but I think I missed the deadline. ;)

XswampyX
05-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Pity, you would have liked it. It was brilliant!

Thanks!

COBRASoft
05-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Nice idea, I should be able to make something this week...

COBRASoft
05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi,

I was googling around for some pics and found this interesting little BBQ for people living in a flat with a balcony.

Modeling took me about an hour.

Greetings,
Sigurd

ch.schrul
05-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Hi all! :-)

Well, the modeling time was way over the 60min limit. I had too much fun to stop the session - anyway here's my version.

Modeling: around 3h (everything is subd modelled - I hadn't much experience before with subd modelling. I think I've learned alot from this work.)
Texturing: another 3h (for me it was the very first time I've uv-mapped a subd mesh - usually I freeze it)
Rendering: 2h (in Fryrender - again :-) with heavy usage of the lightmixer feature)

Cheers,
Chris

XswampyX
05-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Smokin' :hey:

XswampyX
05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Here's another one. I had some HV/Particle smoke in there, but it was going to take days to render out. So it's smokeless charcoal, Ideal for cooking with. :)

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BBQ.jpg

Iain
05-09-2011, 05:04 AM
Hi all! :-)

Texturing: another 3h (for me it was the very first time I've uv-mapped a subd mesh - usually I freeze it)

Cheers,
Chris

Top work Chris! Texturing is excellent :thumbsup:

ch.schrul
05-10-2011, 05:41 AM
XswampyX, your bbq is very cool! I especially like the rusty painting texture... it gives your bbq a very used look!

Iain, thank you! :) But don't forget, it was done way over the time limit...

Chris

MDSPECIFIC
05-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm hungry!
Nice entries! :thumbsup:

I haven't got enough time for texturing.
Anyway, modeling 30min, texturing/lightning 35min.

XswampyX
05-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Heh, heh... Say CHEESE! :)

ch.schrul
05-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Great idea, MDSPECIFIC! Love it!

jonbee
05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
I figured I'd try my hand at this. If anything, it's great practice ^^

Didn't have enough time to texture it, but it's my attempt at a simple park grill with a bag of charcoal.

XswampyX
05-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Well here we go, fingers crossed.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BurgerPlain.jpg

COBRASoft - BBQ 4 balcony - Looking good, great detailing on the brackets that hold the BBQ to the railing. Looks like it was modeled in pieces and then put together, It's a great way to get extra detail. :-)

ch.schrul - All in one BBQ - That looks great, It's a pity you went over the time but it was worth the extra effort, I think from your description you got a lot out of modeling it and that's what these challenges are about. Looking forward to seeing this put in another render sometime in the future.

MDSPECIFIC - Striped Smiley - Ha, the joker in the pack ;-) Pretty efficent modeling and the textures fit perfectly. It just goes to show you don't have to spend ages to get a out good piece of art.

Jonbee - Park Grill 'n' bag - Nice model you have there, but I don't understand the wires? This isn't a criticism of you modeling skills, (as I said your model looks great) It's more like a problem with mine. Can somebody explain to me why the wires look like they do? Thanks.

Drum roll ..........

The winner this week is COBRAsoft. Well done mate, quick off the mark with a great model.

MDSPECIFIC is it your pick for this week?

MDSPECIFIC
05-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Congrats COBRAsoft! :thumbsup:
Everybody, nice entries!

@ XswampyX: Sure thing! Speed modeling challenge #120 (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119317)!

jonbee
05-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Jonbee - Park Grill 'n' bag - Nice model you have there, but I don't understand the wires? This isn't a criticism of you modeling skills, (as I said your model looks great) It's more like a problem with mine. Can somebody explain to me why the wires look like they do? Thanks.

If you are referring to the awkward shapes, it's because I did everything pretty sloppily with subpatches. Not the best way for me to model most of the grill but it allowed for some natural curving without me doing a whole bunch.

COBRASoft
05-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Thx guys, never thought I would win this :D.

Up to the next one...

Iain
05-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Thx guys,

OK Sigurd-you're up!

COBRASoft
05-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Yes Iain, I'll post the new challenge in some minutes :D. Thx for the reminder.