PDA

View Full Version : LW 10 EPS import not quite working

gschrick
05-05-2011, 06:01 AM
I work in TV so I do alot of 3D type and logos. Which means I import eps files quite often.

LW10 seems to have problems with that feature. The last 2 vector files I've brought in (one on PC and one on MAC) have both been imported screwed up. First was a Royals logo. LW10 imported the shield shape fine, but whenever I tried to extrude it, the polygons flipped. I killed the polygon, retraced it and reduced the amount of points and it still wouldn't extrude correctly. The 2nd was simple type. It didn't auto drill an "A" letter. I tried several ways to boolean it but was unsuccessful. It just wouldn't do it.

But, both vector files worked perfectly in LW 9.6 with no clean up.

Does anyone know what was changed from 9.6 to 10? Because it's very frustrating since this is a feature I use on almost a daily basis.

gschrick
05-05-2011, 06:04 AM
also,

The PC was 10 and the MAC was 10.1. So the most current update seems to have the same problem, at least on the MAC side. I haven't had a chance to install 10.1 on my PC yet.

prometheus
05-05-2011, 06:33 AM
can you whip up a sample and post for us to test?

Michael

gschrick
05-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Sure.

Here's the text file that wasn't working. I saved it as an illustrator 8 file, as lightwave prefers.

Fadlabi
05-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Hi, gschrick
the file working fine with me, and it may you forget to check on the Auto AxisDrill

Snosrap
05-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Works fine with these settings. LW10 build 2067 32 and 64bit

gschrick
05-05-2011, 07:33 AM
No I had AutoAxisDrill on. As you can see from the correct geometry of the Os.

But, that gives me some hope that there is a fix, I find it odd that I am experiencing a similar issue on 2 platforms. One other thing I notice is the garbled display of my object. See attached. I always chalked up such display problems to just glitches associated with the graphics card. For this example it's a MAC with a NVidia GeForce 8800 GT.

I don't know how that would affect geometry though.

I've been working with the EPSF loader for some time and I don't know of any other settings that would set my LW setup apart from yours. Or and modeler preferences that would affect importing vector files.

Thanks for the quick response, it's a real good start at fixing my problem.

banjaxedmdt
05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
also,

The PC was 10 and the MAC was 10.1. So the most current update seems to have the same problem, at least on the MAC side. I haven't had a chance to install 10.1 on my PC yet.

I get correct results in LW10, I get screwy ones with the missing A cutout in LW10.1 (WINXP64). So you aren't mad, it appears to be a bug.

Matt
05-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Hmmmm, I'm seeing the same issue here too.

I've had those display errors before in 9.6, but on that sample file 9.6 imported fine, LW10.1 did not.

Can you Fogbug this please so it can be tracked.

prometheus
05-05-2011, 07:42 AM
works fine here too, might be some settings in the graphics card, what are you using?

Michael

gschrick
05-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I sent an email to NewTek tech support. Is there anything I should do to report a bug?

BigHache
05-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Just as something to double-check, can you look at the knockout and make sure it is a closed path? I've had issues where I thought Illustrator paths were closed, and weren't, and LW wasn't happy.

gerry_g
05-05-2011, 07:48 AM
@gschrick – well I'm on Mac 10.6.7 and your last thumbnail is just what my attempt looked like in 10.1 but in 10 with auto axis drill unchecked and the drill done as a separate operation post it worked fine, but if I did the same in 10.1 I could not drill the 'A' whatever I did, and my GPU is a Radeon, Lightwaves polygon display handling in OGL is worse than in any other app I own, 10x just seems to get worse even being reflected in VPR but then often not the renderer leaving you never really knowing where you are.

gschrick
05-05-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm imported this font many many times in LW 9.6 (it's our news font). Never had a problem with any letters. So the path out of illustrator should be fine. Sometimes illustrator doesn't close other fonts and I get double points on top of each other. But quick Merge Points seems to fix that.

This is a new thing for this font that cropped up in 10x. And I've had similar issues with logo vectors. The troubling thing is even if I kill polygons and retrace the points by hand, I can't get it to work.

banjaxedmdt
05-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Win XP64, ATI HD4670 with latest drivers here. 10.1 seemed flakey and inconsistent with different import settings. Some brought in the cutout, some didn't, all gave the display errors. LW10 works fine though.

Matt
05-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Nevermind, I've bugged it, this is an essential feature IMO for graphic, product and architectural users of LW, as it was a surefire way to get site plans, blue-prints and logos into LightWave.

Was working fine in 10 and before, needs to be fixed.

Matt
05-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Just as something to double-check, can you look at the knockout and make sure it is a closed path? I've had issues where I thought Illustrator paths were closed, and weren't, and LW wasn't happy.

I checked the file myself in Illustrator, there is nothing wrong with it.

Matt
05-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I sent an email to NewTek tech support. Is there anything I should do to report a bug?

I've done it for you, this is an important feature for many. I know I used it a heck of a lot in my previous job.

gschrick
05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks a lot