PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave crashes Graphics Card

FOM
05-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Hi people,

Im having graphics card problems with both Modeler and Layout.
Both make the Graphics card crash and reset. Leaving Lightave in a frozen state.

PC is a Dell XPS 420
Windows 7 (64 bit)
8GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2

This didnt happen with Lightwave v9.6

Any Ideas?

Thanks

JamesCurtis
05-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Graphics card drivers up to date?

Igu4n4
05-05-2011, 11:03 AM
what is the error you're getting? Is it something like...

"Display driver (name) stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Steve.

FOM
05-06-2011, 02:11 AM
what is the error you're getting? Is it something like...

"Display driver (name) stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Steve.

Yep, Drivers all up to date.
Yes, thats the message I get.

Ive given up trying to fix it now - replaced it with a nVidia card - now its all runnning like a dream.
Those ATI cards are as much use as a tits on a fish.

Cheers
Scott

netstile123
05-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I have owned ati for the past 3 years and will never go back to nvidia. I would have addressed the drivers issues or card manufacture for trouble shut. what version of driver ati were you on at the time of the errors? What brand of ATI video card were you useing and did you trouble shut this problem with the dell company sense you have a dell machine or did you upgrade your video card yourself? What upgrades did you do to your dell machine? Operation system? Mem? power supply?

Igu4n4
05-06-2011, 01:38 PM
The problem is a lot more complex than you think. I had the same problem, and it only occurred with Photoshop.

The reason for that error is that in Win7/Vista, Microsoft changed the way hardware reports to the OS when something is wrong. It is the TDR process in Win7/Vista, (TDR: Timeout Detection and Recovery). Basically, XP had a lot more tollerance for how long a problem would be allowed to exist and recover, it wouldgive the process more time. Win7/Vista doesn't have the same level of tolerance. The problem however doesn't necessarily mean it is the graphic's card, as this problem occurs on both ATI and Nvidia cards. It can crash the graphics card GL driver for example because of something going wrong else where, like a failing memory module, or a faulty power supply which causes a state that the system doesn't recover from fast enough.

There are ton's of threads on the problem on the net, if you do a search for the wording of the error, you will see what I mean.

Here is a good thread that explains why this is happening, and then discussion about what to do about it. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm

I resolved the problem in the end by turning off the automatic setting on the video card to manage power management mode, and allow maximum performance. But every machine has different circumstances for the error... the error itself is generic.

Glad it's working for you. I literally spent months crashing the video driver in photoshop until I tried this one (after trying about 100 other things).

Steve.

probiner
05-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I got the same GPU and it's very problematic with many BSOD, Even with a big cooler and dust cleaning it gets cranky. Next card, i'll try Nvidia for a change.

Paul_Boland
05-06-2011, 08:04 PM
YEARS ago, I'd say a decade or so, I had my first ATI card... And it was my last too. Too many problems. Changed it for a Nvidia and have NEVER looked back.

Lamont
05-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I had this error too. Did every solution on all these forums. Thought it was underpowered system or messed up PSU/GPU, then got a new PSU and a new videocard. Still had the issue. In my case the solution was: Turn Aero back on.

Lamont
05-06-2011, 11:29 PM
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66781

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1577713

a sandwhich
05-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Even though the drivers are up to date, have you tried reinstalling them? That happened to me several times, so I reinstalled them, and the errors stopped.

FOM
05-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Hi folks,

An update - So far so good with the replacement Nvidia Card (Quadro FX4600). It goes like lightening in comparison to the ATI Radeon. Everything is puuurfect!. I is a happy bunny.

Regarding the drivers on the ATI - yep I reinstalled drivers about 18 thousand times - I think its all down to ATI just being generally crap... ;o)

Thanks

rcallicotte
05-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Nvidia has just been plain solid. Good to hear this is working. I was beginning to think it was a myriad of other unsavory possibilities.

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
first graphics card I ever bought was a voodoo 1 ironically bought by Nvidia , and it was amazing at the time , Im stuck with ATI atm and its hacket , Nvidia sound like the right choice , but its so hard to tell they chop and change every 10 minutes .

but for Lw all hear is its ATI issue ....

IMI
05-10-2011, 07:06 AM
<snip>
...Nvidia sound like the right choice , but its so hard to tell they chop and change every 10 minutes .

Nvidia IS the right choice, but I hear ya on the chop and change. I'm currently trying to decide on my next Nvidia card. It's going to be a 500 series, that much I know for sure, but there are so many damn varieties of them it's almost impossible to keep it all straight and determine which one has better features.
And I just know that the day after I order it, some manufacturer will release the exact one I would have wanted instead. ;)

Lamont
05-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Three cheers for a solid machine again!

FOM
05-10-2011, 08:51 AM
yeahhh!