PDA

View Full Version : Clipping Planes?

Dracorat
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Is there a way to create a clipping plane that hides geometry above it?

If not, how does one render multi-level buildings as floor plans? Hopefully it's not by knifing half the layer and then hiding it and all layers above...

That would be intensive.

wrench
05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/clipmap_web.mov from the master, William Vaughan.

B

Dracorat
05-04-2011, 10:52 AM
The master indeed!

I try looking things up in the tutorials before I ask them; somehow I missed this one. I think it may be that it was called "clipmap" and I wasn't looking for that. Urp!

Thanks for setting me straight though! Woot!

JeffrySG
05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Just keep in mind that if you have an object that should be solid it might appear like you only see an outer shell once the top faces are hidden. And from a top ortho view things may not look the way you'd expect. It's not quite the same as doing a boolean....

shrox
05-04-2011, 11:29 AM
...from the master, William Vaughan.

B

We should start calling him "Kindly master of the unshackled Lightwave beast". I envision some Frank Frazetta image of Vaughan riding the bucking Lightwave jabberwalky...

Dracorat
05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Just keep in mind that if you have an object that should be solid it might appear like you only see an outer shell once the top faces are hidden. And from a top ortho view things may not look the way you'd expect. It's not quite the same as doing a boolean....

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm trying to think of what to do because of this. I'm coming up blank. I could make the walls double sided and that would at least let me not see ground underneath them, but the shading will be wrong. (It's black in them thar walls.) This wouldn't be so much of an issue if it weren't for the fact that the walls are supposed to convey material types. =/

shrox
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm trying to think of what to do because of this. I'm coming up blank. I could make the walls double sided and that would at least let me not see ground underneath them, but the shading will be wrong. (It's black in them thar walls.) This wouldn't be so much of an issue if it weren't for the fact that the walls are supposed to convey material types. =/

Would making a copy of the walls as a separate layer, flipping them, then using some of the lighting omission or cast shadows options work?

Dracorat
05-04-2011, 01:13 PM
If nothing else, it's always worth a try! I can't till later tonight though. I'll report back! =)

Thanks everyone for you continuing support!

Dracorat
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Hm. I've been looking up tutorials online (now that I know this technique is properly called a clip map) and it appears that this actually eliminates geometry, not just makes it invisible to the camera. As such, light sources will bleed in to and out of the clipped geometry. Is this right? If so, this won't do at all.

Imagine having a two-story building. On the second floor, which I want to render, some rooms have lights and others don't. The moon is casting some amount of light and there are trees nearby.

The rooms shouldn't light other rooms (unless they're maybe directly across from each other with their doors open). They shouldn't light the trees around the building. The moon should light the trees, but nothing in the building.

It appears the clip map will break all of this.

If worst comes to worst, I can knife it all, make it all invis to camera. I was hoping to avoid the labor that will come to that because I intend to light and furnish every room. Which will mean that I have to manually turn them on or off according to what level I want to render. (As opposed to the ease of just moving a NULL up or down a level)

But there may be no avoiding it. =(

Nangleator
05-04-2011, 02:07 PM
You could bake the entire building. That way, the clipping wouldn't mess with the lighting.

Dracorat
05-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Well, I have much to learn! I'll look in to baking. I saw there's a tutorial for that, so I'll start there.