PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas why enable glow wouldn't work?

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Under control+f8 enabling and disabling glow makes no difference and my glow under advanced tab in Surface Editor is set to 120%. Neither does increasing the pixels. Any ideas why? It worked before. Do I have to enable anything else? Thanks.

hunter
05-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Does your surface have luminosity on it?

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Under what do you mean?

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh, yeah sure. It's set to 1000%. But no setting will make a difference.

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
But I just loaded the same object into a fresh test-scene in Layout and it works in this scene. The same object which already came with same surface settings. What gives?

Celshader
05-03-2011, 05:17 PM
In my experience, Glow dims and fades out as the transparency increases on an object's surface. Is the surface transparent, or does it have a Constant Alpha of 0? Or (in its Matte settings in the Objects tab) is its Alpha set to Constant Black?

Dracorat
05-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I think some screen shots of the screens where you make the changes are in order.

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 05:20 PM
In my experience, Glow dims and fades out as the transparency increases on an object's surface. Is the surface transparent, or does it have a Constant Alpha of 0? Or (in its Matte settings in the Objects tab) is its Alpha set to Constant Black?

No. Matte is not even enabled there.

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
I think some screen shots of the screens where you make the changes are in order.

You want a screen shot of my surface editor?

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Well, it is not transparent. But it is behind/inside a transparent object. It's surrounded by an object which has a Dielectric material applied to it to make it into glass.
But I turned this glass object off in the Scene Editor and rendered and the glow still doesn't work in the other object. But in the test scene the glow works if the object is in front of the Dielectric object but not if it's inside or surrounded by it.

probiner
05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
I read somewhere that the buffer is not seen under transparent objects so you have to composite it :S

Cheers

GraphXs
05-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Glow is a post process, maybe it doesn't work with Dielectric. Did ya try just using the just standard transparency to see if it gives ya the same issue? Another thing to try is enable "Flare to Alpha" so the glow draws correctly in the alpha channel. (it's under image filter under the processing tab.

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I read somewhere that the buffer is not seen under transparent objects so you have to composite it :S

Cheers

Really? So glow won't work under a transparent object? That sucks and is very limiting. :(

What I'm trying to do is a light bulb, like this picture:

http://www.businesspundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/zzlightbulb.jpg

The way I went about it was to draw the glass globe with spline draw, then use Lathe. Build the base, filament etc separately in separated layers. Then in Layout I applied a Dielectric material to the globe to make it glass and now I'm trying to get the filament to glow and get that effect like in the picture. The bulb is over a black background and I want to have the orange light getting slightly trapped inside the globe but the surroundings outside the bulb still pretty much black, again like in the picture.
Modeling and texturing is done. But I can't get the lighting effects right. :bangwall:

Can anybody help with how to do that if glow won't work?

jameswillmott
05-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Use the Bloom or Corona image filters perhaps?

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Glow is a post process, maybe it doesn't work with Dielectric. Did ya try just using the just standard transparency to see if it gives ya the same issue? Another thing to try is enable "Flare to Alpha" so the glow draws correctly in the alpha channel. (it's under image filter under the processing tab.

Couldn't find it. You mean the tab you get when you press control+F8? If so I only see the option to add an image filter. But nothing about "Flare to Alpha".

Not sure its the Dielectric because if i disable the node editor in that material and make the material 95% transparent instead in the surface editor glow still doesn't work. And the glass doesn't look realistic like with the dielectric.

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Use the Bloom or Corona image filters perhaps?

What's that? I'm a newbie in LW. :question:

Elmar Moelzer
05-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Glow does not work behind transparent surfaces. It is a limitation that other apps have as well (experienced the same issue in MAX).
In situations like these I usually simply use one or more sprite Hypervoxels combined with a lensflare, or one or more volumetric lights combined with a lensflare.
This gives very nice results and works behind transparent surfaces (make sure to turn on raytracing options for transparency and/or refraction).

Pixelight
05-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Glow does not work behind transparent surfaces. It is a limitation that other apps have as well (experienced the same issue in MAX).
In situations like these I usually simply use one or more sprite Hypervoxels combined with a lensflare, or one or more volumetric lights combined with a lensflare.
This gives very nice results and works behind transparent surfaces (make sure to turn on raytracing options for transparency and/or refraction).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you post a quick example?

Also, another thing i couldn't get is the effect of the "trapped" light inside the bulb, like in the picture I posted above. No matter what I did, even putting a light inside I couldn't get that effect and I played with diffraction, translucency and roughness.

Thanks.

jeric_synergy
05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Also, another thing i couldn't get is the effect of the "trapped" light inside the bulb, like in the picture I posted above. No matter what I did, even putting a light inside I couldn't get that effect and I played with diffraction, translucency and roughness.

Thanks.
Break it down: what exactly are you seeing?

All these questions could be answered a hell of a lot more quickly if you'd post screen grabs.

jameswillmott
05-03-2011, 07:03 PM
What's that? I'm a newbie in LW. :question:

If you open up Image Processing ( Ctrl-F8 ) you have an option Add Image Filter. Pick either Bloom or Corona from the list.

What the filter does is pick out the brightest parts of your image and apply a glow to them, it works through transparency just fine since it uses the brightness directly. You have to make the surface you want to glow, fully luminous, so the Bllom/Corona only applies the glow to that surface.

Amurrell
05-03-2011, 07:54 PM
All these questions could be answered a hell of a lot more quickly if you'd post screen grabs.

Agreed. Many times it is better to let the image do the talking where words often fall short.

Another good place to look is in the documentation. I hate to be the guy who just says RTFM, but it seems that you have quite a few issues with LightWave that could be answered with a little research.

Anyway, please post a screen so we can help you more efficiently.

Pixelight
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
If you open up Image Processing ( Ctrl-F8 ) you have an option Add Image Filter. Pick either Bloom or Corona from the list.

What the filter does is pick out the brightest parts of your image and apply a glow to them, it works through transparency just fine since it uses the brightness directly. You have to make the surface you want to glow, fully luminous, so the Bllom/Corona only applies the glow to that surface.

Thanks. I gave it a try but couldn't get it to work. :(

I started a new thread with pictures and a render of how it looks like at the moment.

Pixelight
05-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Agreed. Many times it is better to let the image do the talking where words often fall short.

Another good place to look is in the documentation. I hate to be the guy who just says RTFM, but it seems that you have quite a few issues with LightWave that could be answered with a little research.

Anyway, please post a screen so we can help you more efficiently.

Ok, this is a good idea. I just started a new thread with all the info and a render. Thanks.

Elmar Moelzer
05-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you post a quick example?
Example of what? Hypervoxles, volumetric lights, lens flares? All of the above?

Igu4n4
05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
I've been discussing what Pixel was trying to achieve in his other thread.. I posted some examples, and the scene files of how to achieve it, using Hypervoxels for his glow.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1138772#post1138772

Steve.