PDA

View Full Version : What are the most efficeint Anti-Alias settings

Broccolilord
05-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

I am just curious what the best setting for anti Aliasing is. I am fairly new to lightwave and have just got around to trying to figure out anti aliasing.

realgray
05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Depends upon the project and how much time/processing power you have. But here is a good resource
http://www.except.nl/lightwave/aa/index.htm

Broccolilord
05-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks, that should be helpfull

Currently i am making an office that needs to be somewhat convincing.

Dracorat
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
It's not the AA that will make it convincing. It's appropriate use of lighting, shading and adherence to real-world physics / properties.

A basic (simplest) AA would work fine for "realistic".

erikals
05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
cant remember, i think i usually set it to AS 0.03 and AA to 3...

4dartist
05-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Usually 1 AA and .035 AS for me. If there are any really thin wires or geometry I bump up the AA to prevent gaps. If the scene has lots of noise from area lights or GI, I will bump AA up to 2 or 3 to help reduce the noise before the AS starts.

Wilfrick
05-03-2011, 11:59 AM
cant remember, i think i usually set it to AS 0.03 and AA to 3...

Same for me, this combination is the less expensive in time render with a "sufficient" quality.
But in some cases (depending from the scene) I found more fast and with the same quality the AA 1, AS disabled and 9 passes (or 15) of motionblur classic or dither (photoreal?).

An old legend talk about to render the image with double or triple size without AA and after rescale it (usually AA passes take more time that the base render).
But I never got good results...

Dracorat
05-03-2011, 03:49 PM
You have to resize if you're using that trick with a program that interpolates the result. Paint and many other paint-type programs do not interpolate when you resize.

Photoshop does (as long as you don't turn it off) and resizing with Photoshop will usually give you some pretty good results.

erikals
05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
An old legend talk about to render the image with double or triple size without AA and after rescale it (usually AA passes take more time that the base render).
But I never got good results...

this is actually very good for certain renders with thin black shadow lines...
for example some architectural renders...