PDA

View Full Version : "How to Train Your Dragon" - lighting

jeric_synergy
05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Just watched "How To Train Your Dragon". It's an outstanding example of evocative CG lighting.

I understand they brought in a big-time cinematographer to advise them (Roger Deakins??). Man, does it ever show.

Recommended.

(Nerds get all these stories about, well, "nerds make good" sums it up. Shouldn't somebody be making enlightening stories for jocks?)

Dexter2999
05-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Just watched "How To Train Your Dragon". It's an outstanding example of evocative CG lighting.

I understand they brought in a big-time cinematographer to advise them (Roger Deakins??). Man, does it ever show.

Recommended.

(Nerds get all these stories about, well, "nerds make good" sums it up. Shouldn't somebody be making enlightening stories for jocks?)

Yeah, love that movie even without the stereoscopics. Matter of fact prefer it without the stereoscopics.

As for jocks? Who needs enlightening stories about elitest neanderthals? Can't stand 'em. Back in high school a star basketball player threatened me once. I told him to punch me in the nose so I could fall on his knee (snapping it) and he would never play again. He chose to walk away. FUN!!!

pooby
05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
As for jocks? Who needs enlightening stories about elitest neanderthals? Can't stand 'em. Back in high school a star basketball player threatened me once. I told him to punch me in the nose so I could fall on his knee (snapping it) and he would never play again. He chose to walk away. FUN!!!

I wonder if you included the part about "(snapping it)" when you came out with your brave retort? If not, maybe he just got a bit confused.

Dexter2999
05-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I wonder if you included the part about "(snapping it)" when you came out with your brave retort? If not, maybe he just got a bit confused.

I don't remember the exact phrase. I did specifically say "you'll never play again."

Had another basketball player try to knee me in the face (during school) while doing a lay up. I pushed his legs out from under him and he wiped out. He got up and threatened me. I told him, "Next time you try to knee me in the face I'll just hold your ankles and let you fall face first."

For the record, I wasn't one of the skinny nerds. I was a big fat kid nerd.
Still am. (except the kid part)

jeric_synergy
05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm tired of the "nerd makes good" stories. Done to death, especially in animation.

Nothing wrong with being a jock. Plenty of atheletes are not jerks. And maybe fewer would be if they had some enlightening myths to emulate.

JCG
05-01-2011, 05:54 PM
...Err... Rocky? van Damme? Seagal? Rudy? Invictus? Escape to Victory... or any other Pele movie? Playground? Chariots of Fire? Captain America?... goodness! I could go on forever!

:D Are we really arguing that there are few movies celebrating athletes?!

They have 2+ hour live TV broadcasts almost every day! How many channels broadcast the Nobel Prize ceremony live, vs the Olympics? How many minutes does the race for maintaining the magnetic properties of depleted uranium at room temperature get every Monday night?

2 or 3 nerds being successful in 1 or 2 movies a year just brings a little balance to the force! :D

lwaddict
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM
And let's not forget that most of these are produced by nerds of yore... some still nerds... most of whom have jocks mowing their lawns. :)

Dexter2999
05-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Here's the thing, athletes by and large already get adulation. And many (not all certainly) use their physical abilities to assert themselves as ALPHA males in their social circles by demeaning others. And there are plenty of people who weren't athletes who also weren't nerds. There are more than just two catagories. Athletes pick on non nerds as well.

There are movies about athletes, usually underdogs. Beacuse who really wants to see a movie about "winners win again". A story has to have conflict to provide a story arc. Stories like RUDY, THE BAD NEWS BEARS, VISION QUEST, BREAKING AWAY, THE CUTTING EDGE (although this one is closer to "fish out of water"). I think KUNG FU PANDA is a story about a "non nerd" overcoming challenges to succeed.