PDA

View Full Version : Critical Computer Issue!! Corrupts all Data on all Hard Drives You Have.

dualboot
05-01-2011, 10:49 AM
This is not a joke and not a provocation! This is a cry for help.

I will explain what was happening to me last few weeks and how I discovered what it was.

Few Weeks ago I accidentally found out that something was wrong with the system Windows XP x64 I was working on when I found out that Desktop and Quicklaunch Icons were corrupted (Icons were missing, only default placeholder Icons were there instead), so I restarted the computer to fix them and to my surprise they didn't come back. I checked some files on desktop and those were corrupted too, meaning I could not open them. I was frustrated for losing them, and after I made thourugh scan for viruses with several scanners (rescue disks by Eset nod32, F-secure and Avast) none of which found anything suspicial I wrongly thought that windows itself made some error and destroyed part of the NTFS filesystem. At the point in time when that happened I had several progrms active Lightwave 10 x64, Autocad 2012 which we bought just few days before the incident and Photoshop CS5. I reinstalled Windows XP x64 and all programs I needed and continued to work for ~2 weeks without the need for Lightwave and everything was fine.

Maybe a week ago I got into very close to project deadline and brought work to home. What a grevious error and misfortune on my behalf. I worked for several hours and when I finally could keep my eyes opened I set a HQ test render and went to sleep. While I was moving to bed I did notice there was activity on the Hard because the small HD power LED indicator was constantly on, but I assumed it was either indexer or built in Windows 7 Defragmenter. When I woke up I turned the monitor on and to my horror everything on desktop was corrupted, explorer.exe was dead Lightwave could not save any data , but that was not all. I restarted and could not get into Windows 7 x64 anymore. I pulled out both hard drives I had in the computer( System Drive and Data drive) and 4GB USB flash drive. I hooked them on my work and was floored with the dread. All three Drives were turned into garbage with not one single file capable of opening.

I tried with various free data recovery tools(test disk, photorec, recuva) and few trial apps like Getdataback and iCare to bring the files back with no avail. Neither of the applications could recognize that something was wrong with the data since the file system was intact. That made me sent the drives into local data recovery center, and after several days of trying they called me and said they were helpless. They had no clue what was capable of this and they as well tested my drives to viruses and proved that they weren't infected.

So I bought a new hard drive and put a system on in solely with the purpose to find out what was going on. I made several .txt files in the root of C: to help test my endavour. TXT files were filled with few lines of single sign (qqqqqqq..., sssssssss... and eeeeeee....) named 0.txt, 1.txt and 01.txt, since I noticed that corruption was happening in alphabetical order starting with files then moving to directories without discrimination of file type or folder type. Out of all files that were corrupted before I was able only to open .txt files a see the corruption so that is why I made these for the test. I figured that if there was some corruption or encryption going on it would be easier to find out what was it if I knew exactly what was inside of these small .txt files.

I have to mention that I was already suspicious of either Autocad 2012 or Lightwave 10 since both times this happened both were active. To minimize the error I just installed Lightwave 10 this time and started doing operations that I might use from time to time in Lightwave and patiently checking prepared .txt files for corruption from time to time. For couple of hours everything was fine until I tried importing prepared .dxf file into Lightwave. I was already aware of the Lightwave 10 problem and .dxf import and this time was no different as I was presented with the FBX import dialog, I clicked Yes (or OK..I can't remember now what exactly does it say) and this is where it started, almost instantly Hard Disk got busy, I opened up C:\ and opened each of the .txt files and all were garbage. I quickly looked what was going on and saw that even I quit Lightwave it was still active, since hub.exe didn't let me close it. I forcefully shut Windows as fast as I could so I wouldn't lose more data. I remembered after that that both times this had happened I was using DXF import dialog thinking that maybe import errors were due to .dxf files themselves.

After restart I checked what was good and what was gone, and parts Lightwave install were gone since it was in the beginning of disk C: under Program Files/3D/Lightwave.

Nothing else was active during this test time except for other 3 applications (Opera browser, Skype and Logitech mouse driver).

My Lightwave install was specific as I tried to make LW as portable as it can be done and it looked like this: I transfered lic file to main Lightwave directory(bin) and made shortcuts with -c switch and point them to Lightwave/Support/Configs.

Developers I'm urging You to check what is going on with Lightwave before anyone else loses data this way. And if there is a way to help me rescue data with some information I would be grateful since corruption ate all of my backups aswell :(

Thank You.

P.S. I kept the three .txt files and if they can help I will upload them where it is convenient.

akademus
05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm having the same thing on 2 of my computers at work and at my laptop.

I was convinced my computers were attacked through exploit of some sort.

I managed to move away my laptop from it, but my main workstation gets corrupted files. Usually what gets hurt are LW installations and sometimes Adobe CS 5.

I always checkup Readme.txt in LW 9.6 folder and when it gets corrupted its full of chinese characters or jibberish like that.

Cannot confirm if its LW10 related or not, but I can put that txt for others to see.

I ended up keeping lw instalations and config files on the network location and just copy/paste them when it happens...

All I know it drove me nuts, not a single antivirus hadn't found anything, kaspersky support confirm its not a malware...

p.s. I even changed the hdd on my workstation when it started thinking there is something wrong with the disk.

dualboot
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry this happened to You as well, hopefully someone here will be able to help us, or at least fix this and stop it happening ever again.

P.S. Pozdrav iz Beograda.

akademus
05-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I and our IT guy both have no clue what it is but I'll be much happier person without a bastard.

Pozdrav...

prometheus
05-01-2011, 11:52 AM
just a few days ago, I got warnings of some viruses at my work wich was partly a win exploit virus, and there was even trojan horse warnings, AVG noticed the win exploit, and a malware tool noticed the trojans.

Now I discovered that all my shortcut icons on the task bar was empty, and had redirected the links to IExplorer.

I did a virus removal, but that didnīt help, then I did a system restore to a few checkpoints back in time, that gave me the correct icons back with the correct links to the programs, however many many documents in my documents folder has been corrupted somehow, simple text files can be opened but the text isnīt recognizable, some text files were having chinese letters?? image files canīt be read etc..and most software canīt function properly.

Lightwave 10 Isnīt installed on that computer.
I had some data in there thou that I would like to recover, fortunatly My main work is on a second omputer at work, but still..I would like to get hold of the other files to recover..so if someone knows a good file recover software..please let me know.

I suspect this virus attack occoured when I was trying to share some files in my document folder, and I probably accidently shared and gave acess to the the whole folder over the complete internet network.

Michael

deemon
05-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Just a couple of days ago I got _exactly_ the same issue, with lots of valuable data ruined. I thought it was my hard drive and replaced it, eventhough the nature of this issue was extremely weird looking, nothing as I've seen before even with hardware related problems. And I did work with LW10 a lot at that time. I didn't even think LW10 could have been the problem. If it is LW10 though.... wow... Not running it anymore just in case, back to 9.6

prometheus
05-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Just a couple of days ago I got _exactly_ the same issue, with lots of valuable data ruined. I thought it was my hard drive and replaced it, eventhough the nature of this issue was extremely weird looking, nothing as I've seen before even with hardware related problems. And I did work with LW10 a lot at that time. I didn't even think LW10 could have been the problem. If it is LW10 though.... wow... Not running it anymore just in case, back to 9.6

In my case thereīs no lightwave 10 issue, so Itīs gotta be something else for me, I really doubt very much that this would be something related to lightwave 10 at all for you other guys too, but if it really is..then Itīs a major cluster .f.

Michael

Celshader
05-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I have to mention that I was already suspicious of either Autocad 2012 or Lightwave 10 since both times this happened both were active.

I am sorry for your data loss, but I do not think either program is to blame. We've run LightWave 10.0 at work since January on multiple Windows 7 x64 machines and across a network with no data loss whatsoever.

If no virus was found, I recommend checking the power supply and see if it is sufficient for the system and graphics card. In 2004 I upgraded the CPU in my Desknote computer. Shortly thereafter the hard drive was corrupted. The problem was that power supply did not have enough "juice" to accommodate the increased power consumption of the CPU upgrade. With insufficient power, the writes to the hard drive became garbled.

Underclocking the CPU solved the problem, but I had to reinstall Windows from scratch.

Installing two 3D programs on your machine would increase the power consumption for the graphics card as it cranked up to meed the OpenGL demands of both programs. It takes less power for a graphics card to display 2D graphics than 3D graphics.

deemon
05-01-2011, 01:21 PM
In my case thereīs no lightwave 10 issue, so Itīs gotta be something else for me, I really doubt very much that this would be something related to lightwave 10 at all for you other guys too, but if it really is..then Itīs a major cluster .f.

Michael

I too think it would have been way too weird if it was LW, but the truth here is -- I get HDD corrupted, I restore my system from a year old system backup which has no viruses, run LW10 for some times (some loading, rendering, saving), everything gets corrupted again. Restore from an even older backup with a clean windows, run LW10, got all data screwed up again. I went ahead and bought a new HDD thinking it was hardware problem. Reinstalled everything on the new HDDD and so far so good. No LW10 was run yet though.

Celshader
05-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I too think it would have been way too weird if it was LW, but the truth here is -- I get HDD corrupted, I restore my system from a year old system backup which has no viruses, run LW10 for some times (some loading, rendering, saving), everything gets corrupted again. Restore from an even older backup with a clean windows, run LW10, got all data screwed up again. I went ahead and bought a new HDD thinking it was hardware problem. Reinstalled everything on the new HDDD and so far so good. No LW10 was run yet though.

Is LW10 the only 3D software on your machine? If so, the problem might be an insufficient power supply and not LightWave.

As mentioned above, I do not have problems with LightWave at work. However, I have had hard drive problems when a weak power supply delivered insufficient power for my computer's components.

deemon
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Is LW10 the only 3D software on your machine? If so, the problem might be an insufficient power supply and not LightWave.

As mentioned above, I do not have problems with LightWave at work. However, I have had hard drive problems when a weak power supply delivered insufficient power for my computer's components.

It well may be ONLY if LW10's VPR coupled with FPrime opened simultaneously causes some unusual and extreme load on the computer. Because I've been running the same hardware config (yes, quite a bit overclocked) for a couple of years, including intensive several days straight renderings, several F-Prime windows running in parallel etc) with no such problems. First thing I did when I got first corruption was setting back my CPU clock to default. Made no difference. However I did continue using F-Prime and VPR at the same time. Trashed files again.

In no way I'm 100% sure it's LW10 though, I thought it was my hardware issue all the way until I just saw the original post today, which made me thinking.

EDIT: Just to make it clear -- I'm NOT blaming LW at all, it sure does look like a hardware issue once viruses are ruled out. However, I've been using LW in quite extreme conditions for years, seen crashes and all, yet when I get this weird issue in the first time I go to the forum and see I'm not alone. Just weird.

dualboot
05-01-2011, 02:08 PM
My computer and computer at work are both built for heavy load. PSU is 650 W 85+ certified. At home I have nvidia GTX 560 Ti, intel q9300 CPU, 4Gb of RAM and on work I have Radeon HD 5850, intel q6600 CPU, 4 Gb of RAM.

I started using Lightwave 10 recently just about the time the first corruption happened, I even think it was the first job with Lightwave 10.

It can't be a coincidence same thing happening of two different systems with two different configurations with 2 different antivirus programs. It happened twice on my work computer and twice at home(with last time being my test mode).

The only thing connecting those 4 incidents was Lightwave 10. I'm not the one to jump to conclusions, but this happened this afternoon while I was watching and testing Lightwave 10 for this problem.

I'm not programmer but I think there is a problem with internal handling of Lightwave errors and the Hub. Something happens to Lightwave related processes when an internal error occurs and for whatever reason Lightwave starts it's data corruption cycle.

I also do not believe that it is a coincidence that in few hours from my posting several people reported the same thing happening to their computers. I do not think that this sort of post would be this "live" if there wasn't a real problem here.

I just hope Newtek will thoroughly check this out, and if this was not Lightwave clear it up at least.

Dexter2999
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
650? mmmm..never built a pc with a ps that small. Of course I have only built about four. But I usually go for 750W to 1000W. I haven't built anything bigger.

Only PC's I have ever had with something that low are the stock machines we buy.

Jen may have a point here.

p.s. That 85+ you noted. Is that the burst rating or the sustained? Because the sustained ratings are considerably lower. This was the subject of a thread over on another forum for another piece of software (not 3D at all) a couple of years ago.

Celshader
05-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I also do not believe that it is a coincidence that in few hours from my posting several people reported the same thing happening to their computers. I do not think that this sort of post would be this "live" if there wasn't a real problem here.

I just hope Newtek will thoroughly check this out, and if this was not Lightwave clear it up at least.

Possibly, but we've been using LightWave 10.0 at work since January across multiple platforms (XP x64 and Win7 x64), multiple workstations and 100+ machines on the render farm. My husband and I both have LightWave 10.0 installed on our computers at home (WinXP x64 and WinXP x32). None of us have had any data corruption issues.

Data corruption issues would also have become evident during the LightWave 10.0 beta testing cycle, which involved hundreds of users in the HardCORE forum.

If only a few people in this thread have run into data corruption issues, this implies that the problem is something other than LightWave 10.0.

Matt
05-01-2011, 02:30 PM
This doesn't sound like it's anything to do with LightWave, if it were, we would have seen more cases of this in our own testing.

That said, can you define any steps that conclusively prove that this is LightWave related?

Then we can see if indeed the scary title of this thread has any validity.

dualboot
05-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Well these computers worked flawlessly with Lightwave 9.6. Super stable computers no problems whatsoever.

Secondly, if this was CPU issue or PSU and it did affect data that was currently in use or were written to the drive I would be more careful with my conclusions. However since these incidents "destroyed/trashed" 2 Hard drives and USB key completely and 2 Hard drives partially just because I was present makes me think this has no connection whatsoever with low voltage.
Even if data written was corrupted during the time, NTFS file system is "multi layered" and data could be recovered from previous writes, this though is completely wasted file system which even data rescue center, and these people do this for more than 10 years internationally, could not rescue.

Because this did not happened on Your computers does not mean it does not happen at all. Software bugs are quite difficult to track if rare, and there is a possibility that no one yet had connected Lightwave with data corruption, as I did not first and second time it happened to me. If I did I still would have ~800 GB of data "alive".

Celshader
05-01-2011, 02:38 PM
My computer and computer at work are both built for heavy load. PSU is 650 W 85+ certified. At home I have nvidia GTX 560 Ti, intel q9300 CPU, 4Gb of RAM and on work I have Radeon HD 5850, intel q6600 CPU, 4 Gb of RAM.

I just Googled this...the nVidia GTX 560 Ti uses 358Watts under load:
http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page11.html

The Intel q9300 CPU uses 95W:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33922

Just two components of your first machine are using 453W when OpenGL software is engaged. The PSU might *say* it's 650W, but it may not be capable of actually sustaining 650W power. That's why you see power supplies out there with the label "True500" or "True600" -- they're actually capable of sustaining massive power loads for powerful components.

In addition, there is no official certification standard for "85+" -- an energy efficiency standard, not a power standard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS#Misleading_power_supply_advertising

-+-

Your work machine uses a graphics card that requires at least 305 watts of clean power under load:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5850,2433-13.html

...and the Q6600 (my husband's CPU and an excellent choice) needs 102 Watts under load:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/651-2/intel-core-2-quad-q6600.html

For just these two components, the work machine requires at least 407 watts of clean, sustained power. Again, your 650W current PSU may not be capable of meeting the energy needs of this computer. It may claim 650W, but actual true energy output may be in the danger zone for your computer.

gordonrobb
05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I've had this problem too, and it wiped out a lot of my programmes (leaving place holder icons in the start menu), however, LW10 was not one of teh programmes affecte. 9.6 was however. I have no notion that it is a LW issue.

Celshader
05-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Well these computers worked flawlessly with Lightwave 9.6. Super stable computers no problems whatsoever.

Then it could be that both PSUs are aging and unable to meet the current power demands of your computer. LightWave 10.0's VPR probably increased the power consumption of your machines, too.

dualboot
05-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi Matt,

the steps are really simple as described above and I can remember that second time on work it happend with dragging and dropping .dxf file onto modeler shortcut. Dialog was the same(FBX) and I quickly turned off modeler and continued finishing up some leftover work in Autocad, only to find out after few minutes that something was wrong with the computer.

This afternoon I spent few hours modeling or rather finishing model I started at work in Lightwave 9.6 but as I said I had everything prepared in case of corruption happening again. Only difference was that I was using Lightwave 10 here at home. Lightwave 10 was working flawlessly until I wrapped up the model, made a backup of it, turned off Lightwave 10 completely, and turned it on after several minutes, this time importing .dxf through File/Load and it is at that moment it started.

I'm not using Lightwave since I wrote this post and computer is behaving. I even installed triple AV programs(Avast 6.1, Avg 10, kaspersky 2011 trial) during these several hours and scanned everything again with each of them. All results were negative.

I'm not here to bash Lightwave or developers, I'm here to try and find the solution, and I am truly convinced this is somehow Lightwave related.

One thing I do not understand is how is Lightwave or any of it's parts are able to access read and write any file type, since I do not believe MFT corruption is what it is since directory and file structure is intact.

@Celshader, I'm not using VPR, I do it with small fast renders for most accurate results and aging PSU could not corrupt everything since 2 drives in question were not in use and, 2 corrutpions did not happen during render so load on it was minimal.

UnCommonGrafx
05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Power supply and viral infestation.

What version of LW are you using? Not JUST 10; which build?

dualboot
05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Lightwave build is 2067.

OnlineRender
05-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Lightwave build is 2067.

hmm honestly can't see why or how LW could cause that damage .

I can understand LW crashing , and corrupting the Lws , LWO or whatever lw influenced files , stick your dead HD into Linux and read it , see what it says

UnCommonGrafx
05-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I'll agree with you: individual machines work with the code in different ways. I would like to add that that also depends on the softs and hards installed.

You've got something going on in the vessel that gets to interact with all of your networks. That is to say, all of your machines are able to display this issue because they have some similar interaction that was able to 'hop cross' machines.

LW definitely will eat a machine's resources up. What Celshader said above reminds me of a similar situation I had, but I was blaming the VT. Under-powered and it was self-destructing daily.
LW has shown such an issue, too. But again, something else was amiss with the box, too.

What you describe is improbable, as you already acknowledge. To that end, more is to be looked for in this situation.

OnlineRender
05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
maybe its your version of WINDOWS :rock: kiddin I had my HD die on me , I feel your pain .

Elmar Moelzer
05-01-2011, 03:26 PM
It seems highly unlikely to me that LW is to blame for that.
1. It can only corrupt files, when it is actually accessing the mass storage device. The files it would most likely corrupt then, are the ones it is currently writing to the disc.
The only time LW is writing something to the harddrive is when it is either saving a file, or when the HUB is on/and or autosave is on and both are in use. Otherwise it saves data to the harddrive when it is closed and when you actively save a file. In all of these cases the drive access should be limited to your user folder (unless you redirected the configs), or the content directory.
If LW never accessed your memory stick, or other mass storage device, then it would never be able to corrupt the files there.

2. There would be more reports of file corruptions on that scale.
I have not seen that yet. I have had a nasty virus the other day that my wife picked up on a baby site (gone are the days when only the certain websites were virus infected, it is the adds running on innocent sites). It was one of those nasty fake virus scanners. Avira did not react to it, Malwarebytes was uneffective and I could only get rid of it with a total reformat of the harddrive. The fracking thing made Windows 7 lock me out of my own computer (I could not delete anything on my c- drive anymore).
Not saying that this is your problem, but there sure is a lot of nasty stuff out there these days.

Further tests to do:
Try turning of the Hub and Autosave and see whether the problem persists.
If it still persists then it can absolutely not be LW, since then LW does not access the harddrive at all, unless you tell it to.

Finally, please let me add that this thread title is unnecessarily alarmist. It implies that LW is destroying peoples harddrives. That could look bad for the software.
Sbowie, Mr super Mod, would you kindly change the title of this thread?

Exception
05-01-2011, 03:33 PM
One thing I do not understand is how is Lightwave or any of it's parts are able to access read and write any file type, since I do not believe MFT corruption is what it is since directory and file structure is intact.

I don't think it does...

I agree with Jen here, I think she's spot on with the PSU assessment.

My experience is that LW is by far the most demanding application we have. LW can 'show' hardware problems better than any video editor, 2D graphics program or even 3D CAD suite. Lw demands the highest performance of your RAM, CPU, PSU, Video card and mother board. It however really doesn't use the harddisk for anything but loading and saving files. It is very likely that LW drew all the power from your PSU and another program, or even windows indexing service or something, corrupted tyour files by writing to a drive that was underpowered.

I'm really sorry this happened to you... I hope you have not sustainaed too much data loss :(

dualboot
05-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I do not think some of You folks read this carefully. I mentioned that 2 drives were completely trashed and I lost more than 500 gb of data, in just one go, not counting loss of data on my work which compared to loss at work was minimal, not more than several gigabytes.

I completely agree that Lightwave should not be capable of accessing random data...however if this is a bug than anything is possible, even that.

People talking about PSU causing corruption...how do You explain that inactive data was corrupted(data neither written nor read nor accessed) just passively sitting there minding it's own business :)

@Elmar, I will try turning off the hub, If only I could remember how to do that, and about the thread title, what if my conclusion turns out to be correct and someone changes the title? Title is alarming for a reason, not for fun.

Danner
05-01-2011, 04:10 PM
What is REALLY odd is that it has happened to you 4 times while most of us are fine.

JonW
05-01-2011, 04:20 PM
About 5 years ago I had 1 PC with McAfee AV. It was painful & I got rid of it. The next year McAfee illegally charge my credit card with a new subscription. I took this up with my bank, & got a refund.

Only my Mac was/is connected to the internet, after about 2 weeks of cancelling with McAfee the dodgy emails I always got started to decline, after about 2 months I was only getting about 5% of the original number of dodgy emails.

None of my current batch of PCs have AV they are all running XP64, & LW10 has been the most stable of LW so far. 3 of my boxes only have LW as they are render nodes. The other 3 have very few programs as I do everything else on a Mac. (Mac Mini & still use an old Dual 533)

I still get very few dodgy emails, so I would be extremely reluctant to install any AV as it will probably create a 2000+% increase in suspicious emails. (2 spam emails last month, re: Optus. Plus a couple which got through)

LW9.6 I had to reinstall quite a few times & kept a copy on the HD, but touch wood! LW10 has been pretty good.

dualboot
05-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Indeed it is odd, and that is why I posted how I configured Lightwave, cause maybe that is the part of the problem.

banjaxedmdt
05-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Based on all the symptoms you have described so far, it sounds far more like a loose HD cable than anything to do with Lightwave or any Malware.

Elmar Moelzer
05-01-2011, 04:33 PM
@Elmar, I will try turning off the hub, If only I could remember how to do that

Make a shortcut for Modeler and Layout on the desktop.
Right click it and in the commandline add a space and then a -0 at the end.
So it reads e.g.
c:\LightWave10\Layout.exe -0
That is all.
Launch Layout and Modeler form this shortcut in the future (make sure to turn off the Hub first, if it is still active in the Tray).

Exception
05-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I do not think some of You folks read this carefully.

I'm sure most of us do.

People talking about PSU causing corruption...how do You explain that inactive data was corrupted(data neither written nor read nor accessed) just passively sitting there minding it's own business :)

It's at least more likely than high-level software like LightWave to be able to do anything remotely like that. LW does not have low-level control, which is what is necessary for damage like you describe to occur. The only software that can do that are foundational operating system resources, things like the BIOS and things explicitly written to do it, like invasive system tools, and indeed, virusses. I mean, I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just extremely unlikely... for a bug in LW to be able to cause anything like that, the programmer must have accidentally copy-pasted some low level control code in... or something really odd like that.

Hardware wise it's easier to explain. Drop the disk, and you can ruin everything on it. A harddisk is like a record player. A playhead moves over a spinning disk. This playhead is magnetized when writing. If you imagine that playhead doing some uncontrolled behavior due to insufficient current availability, that is far more likely to cause what you describe. Or its logic board may malfunction, which is also a frequent cause of data corruption.

Celshader
05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
People talking about PSU causing corruption...how do You explain that inactive data was corrupted(data neither written nor read nor accessed) just passively sitting there minding it's own business :).

Easy -- this exact situation happened to me in 2004, as I wrote earlier in this thread. The culprit was insufficient power to all of the components in my machine. Insufficient power resulted in corrupted writes to the hard drive as the operating system did its thing, which (in Windows 7's case) could include periodic writes to your three drives for whatever reason.

There is another possibility: Maxtor brand hard drives. My husband had twelve Maxtor hard drives die, each before one year had passed. He finally stopped using Maxtor hard drives. What brand of hard drive did you have?

dualboot
05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm aware of hardware failure possibilities believe me and I can assure You that this is not it. Drives have been check in Data rescue center and are in perfect order, no bad sectors, electronics completely check out.

When working in Lightwave System simply can't use that much power to break down data flow inside hard drive for example. When rendering everything goes into CPU and graphic card is on idle, and vice versa when I'm modeling I can't render so power consumption is nowhere near the consumption of power when playing game for instance. I have played few games at home without a glitch on same hardware on which I'm running Lightwave.
My main suspect is Hub.exe since it was the Hub.exe I caught not been able to turn itself off even without either Layout.exe or Modeler.exe being active, and I will try what Elmar suggested to turn it off and see how it goes.

@Celshader: Affected drives are: Western Digital Velociraptor 150 Gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 1002 FAEX 1 TB, Western Digital Caviar Blue wd5000aaks 500 GB, Seagate 7200.11 1.5 TB bought with latest revision firmware and USB Transcend Flash drive 4gb.

deemon
05-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm aware of hardware failure possibilities
My main suspect is Hub.exe since it was the Hub.exe I caught not been able to turn itself off even without either Layout.exe or Modeler.exe being active, and I will try what Elmar suggested to turn it off and see how it goes.

If we're having the same problem you can safely rule out the Hub -- it's always turned off here, I never run it.

Red_Oddity
05-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Let's not forget that especially with the latest Windows incarnations (Vista/7) the OS comes packed with features that will continue-sly trash HDDs (especially nasty when you have SSDs instead of HDDs), features like Superfetch, Readyboost, Search indexer, Defrag, etc.

We tend to turn off all these features, as they more often than not impact performance negatively rather than positively (and since most of our workstations now use SSD as primary disks, those features are especially a big no no.)

So when indeed a disk is underpowered or the logic board is wonkey, combined with any of those features can easily trash data.

Just to rule out one or the other, try installing a PSU with higher sustainable power and multiple rails for various outputs.

Oleeblood
05-01-2011, 04:57 PM
This is typically win 7 error (symptom come after SP1 installed: some apps unable to start, whole disk or partition unreadable...etc.) ! Don't install any windows update or service pack... disable auto-update.

deemon
05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
This is typically win 7 error (symptom come after SP1 installed: some apps unable to start, whole disk or partition unreadable...etc.) ! Don't install any windows update or service pack... disable auto-update.

First, this error is far from typical -- file system is intact, all partitions are readable, file system repair utilities find no errors whatsoever. However inside corrupted files is garbage, no preferences in file types too -exe's, images, LW scenes, everything.

And second, I'm on Vista x64 SP2, original poster uses Windows XP, nothing to do with win7 sp1

dualboot
05-01-2011, 05:12 PM
@deemon, actually I use win xp x64 on work and windows 7 x64 at home, and my symptoms are 100% like Your's.

deemon
05-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm going to use the 9.6 for now, just in case, since I have urgent stuff to do. However if it happens again, I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to find out what exactly screws things up, ruling out the software part first since my hardware has been working for too long without any issues to consider some sudden increased need for PSU power. So, I will setup a clean system with LW10 and try to see what process would start accessing files with some monitoring tool. Question is, what program would you use to do that -- will some FileMon do or maybe I need something more low-level, I have no idea.

Elmar Moelzer
05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
It is extremely unlikely that LW has anything to do with it. How would it do that?
There is no magical "corrupt all my textfiles on my harddrive"- functionality built into LW that could do that.
Also the fact that the files are still readable, yet contain "garbage" is suspicious. Files that get corrupted are usualy unreadable after that.
This is all VERY strange. I do know LW very well and I just cant see any way that it would do that.

Exception
05-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Could also be RAM corruption/failure.

That's easy to test. Run a burnin test of Prime95 (free program) for a weekend or so. See if it throws up any errors. Memtest86 also works but doesn't stress the system so could miss a power related issue.

BTW, Lw can still draw a lot more resources than a heavy game because it's so optimized to use the system fully. I've had many hardware deficiencies coming to light using LightWave that didn't come out with any other use. I sometimes also suspected LW but it always turned out to be HW related.

silviotoledo
05-01-2011, 06:38 PM
I got too much Blue Screen from windows these days, but I'm sure the bad guy here is Windows Update wich runs automatically. My system is too dirty and I need to format.

silviotoledo
05-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Oh, my system finally recovered after I 've installed Maya2012 and my processor is twice faster after installed 3D max :).

Just kidding, but the windows update thing is real.

lwaddict
05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Had sort of the same thing happen on our ActionScript/MDM scripting/compiling system... yeah, we separated it from the herd.

And after attempting to compile a script to exe in MDM...
WHAMMO, everything in the directory and lots around it were gone. Nonrecoverable and just plain gone.

I even managed to replicate the issue.

Problem is that it would happen so sporatically that it was difficult to nail now... and it turned out to be the combination of some malware affecting the system and failed script compilations. Once you ran the exe that was compiled. WHAMMO.

Also had this happen with an underpowered system. Again, without Lightwave present.

In case it helps.

But based on everyone's input, the common denominator doesn't appear to be Lightwave itself. And for what it's worth, no such issues on our Lightwave PCs here either.

caesar
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Man, Im so happy Im using OSX ...

netstile123
05-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I have never ran into any issues yet. I have to say it maybe invidia drivers. This is why I switched to ati. I would not waist a dime or time on nvidia products

Elmar Moelzer
05-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Uhm, my experience is to the contrary. Nvidias OpenGL drivers are generally better than those by AMD/Ati.

cgisoul
05-01-2011, 09:29 PM
My experience is to stay away from ATI at all cost.

akademus
05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I think we can exclude power supply issue as I had this exact problem on Boxx station (where it first showed up) and I'm keeping it off for now, then HP Z800 workstation (which is still manifesting the issue), and a brand new Toshiba Qosmio laptop (which is now fine, far from office).

With 95% of certainty I can say it spreads over USB drives as I brought external HDD from office back home and both data on the drive and the laptop I plugged it in got hurt. It also corrupted both my USB thumb drives, one spanking new sony 32GB and another with my Messiah licence, after which I toss them both into trash.

I did a complete format on the USB drive and the partitions where it occured and its been fine since then.

However, this thing happens to me regularly on my Z800 workstation at work, which leads me to belief its coming from network as some sort of attack.

BTW I have LW 10 installed on both workstation and home laptop, but I can't with certainty confirm or deny its LW related issue.

First I blamed virus, but I ran 10 different antivirus and antimalware and nothing. Then I blamed HDD, replaced it with a brand new and disaster struck again. Then I blamed memory, but it happened on two other completely different computers so that can be excluded as well.

Now I'm left with nothing but licking my wounds everytime it happens by coping over installed LW files and reinstalling CS5.

BTW, it never corrupts files on the network drives and while it trashed the whole system in couple of first attacks, now it seems to be limited to LW both 9.6 and 10 which I install to C: and the beginning of Program Files where MAX, Maya and CS5 got it.

Whoever figures this up will be my personal hero for this year as I gave up.

BTW. it started happening somewhere end of February and while LW 10 was installed. But I cannot tell is it related.

VonBon
05-01-2011, 11:21 PM
i haven't had any problems and i hope that i don't.

I have recognized problems on more than one Win7 64bit computer
where they act funny or keep rebooting after a windows update.

VonBon
05-01-2011, 11:21 PM

off with your head :devil:

akademus
05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
This is the screengrab of how txt file looks inside after this menace. It also corrupts all other files leaving their size and attributes just the same.

I'll try to find and post "chinese" looking one as well...

Oleeblood
05-02-2011, 12:58 AM

You're right, it's a bug in win7... I got this error two times and have been destroyed all of my files on the disk... (more than 700GB :() In the eventlog was: "disk read error..." (BitLocker driver), but I never used BitLocker, because bitlocker isn't in W7x64 Home Premium release(only on Ultimate and Enterprise)!!!

So good luck for windows...

Dexter2999
05-02-2011, 01:04 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to repeat what I have said in another thread.

I HATE!, HATE!, HATE! pretty much everything Microsoft has done in the last 5-7 years with the possible exception of the Xbox360.

Oleeblood
05-02-2011, 01:08 AM

This is the screengrab of how txt file looks inside after this menace. It also corrupts all other files leaving their size and attributes just the same.

I had got same... this is BitLocker driver (Service) error... Maybe "BitLocker To Go" helps you...

jwiede
05-02-2011, 01:23 AM
It shouldn't be too difficult to get a decent idea of whether LW10 is potentially involved or not. Simply download the Sysinternals suite (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062), and then immediately after issuing the suspect DXF command in LW10, run the suite's "lsof" command to see what files LW10 is accessing. Lsof will show you all files being accessed, and the processes accessing them. As you know after the fact which files are corrupted, you should be able to correlated corrupted files and which process had them open during the period in question.

While I'd be surprised to discover LW10 was responsible, I'd never claim it's beyond the realm of possibility. Once you have code parsing one file to determine how to work on another file (including writes as output), you've pretty much opened the door for the potential to corrupt (pseudo-)random files. Throw in some latent process memory-space corruption as well and you'd be absolutely amazed at the kinds of resultant pathological behavior that can occur.

akademus
05-02-2011, 01:53 AM
I had got same... this is BitLocker driver (Service) error... Maybe "BitLocker To Go" helps you...

What do you mean? What exactly you did to sort it out?

prometheus
05-02-2011, 01:59 AM

Thatīs how my files look like to, text documents inside my documents folders are all scrambled up to unreadable format, image files are unrecognizable etc.
The same with some folders that were on my desktop.
on the outside when you look at the filename they seem correct and are linking to the right application thou.

this scrambling up of files doesnt seem to have affect the root C: thou, so textfiles directly there are okay.

As mentioned AVG found viruses, so if it is the virus itself or the removal process I dontīt know.

I probably have to face the fact that all those files are corrupt and cant be restored, Iīll see if I can try out stellar phoenix recovery, wich helped me when I had a hard disk crash, but if the files are altered that might not help anyway...then Ivé heard of recover my files, donīt know if that could help.

My main work was on another computer, but as mentioned there was some files I would like to recover, test, tutorials, some plugins etc..instead of searching for it and download again.

hereīs the Avg virus scan results..mainly win.exploit virus and xml infections.

Scan results at 2011-04-26

"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra mData\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\HelpPanel\Help\FlashLiteAPIRe ference1\00005855.html";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra mData\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\HelpPanel\Help\ActionScriptLa ngRefV2\00001731.html";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\e-on software\Vue 8 xStream PLE\Environment\PoserRuntime\ui\languages.xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\skin\skin1024x768.xm l";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\Promotion\Rus\virtua l-speaker.html";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\4dcfd9b7e901b57f81f66714460 3236\payloads\AdobeFireworks9en_US\AdobeFireworks9 en_US.proxy.xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3\adobe_epic\eula\zh_CN\install2.html";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Adobe\Adobe Contribute CS3\Configuration\Strings\documenttypedeclarations .xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
__________________________________________________ ____________
Scan results at 2011-04-27

"C:\Users\Michael\Osorterat\sweden.xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\SolidWorks\Dissec tion\{CA3B8E34-BFE3-4A2C-9601-13B66A50A6B1}\Keywords.xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"

Michael

akademus
05-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Thatīs how my files look like to, text documents inside my documents folders are all scrambled up to unreadable format, image files are unrecognizable etc.
The same with some folders that were on my desktop.
on the outside when you look at the filename they seem correct and are linking to the right application thou.

this scrambling up of files doesnt seem to have affect the root C: thou, so textfiles directly there are okay.

As mentioned AVG found viruses, so if it is the virus itself or the removal process I dontīt know.

I probably have to face the fact that all those files are corrupt and cant be restored, Iīll see if I can try out stellar phoenix recovery, wich helped me when I had a hard disk crash, but if the files are altered that might not help anyway...then Ivé heard of recover my files, donīt know if that could help.

My main work was on another computer, but as mentioned there was some files I would like to recover, test, tutorials, some plugins etc..instead of searching for it and download again.

hereīs the Avg virus scan results..mainly win.exploit virus and xml infections.

Scan results at 2011-04-26

"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra mData\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\HelpPanel\Help\FlashLiteAPIRe ference1\00005855.html";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra mData\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\HelpPanel\Help\ActionScriptLa ngRefV2\00001731.html";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\e-on software\Vue 8 xStream PLE\Environment\PoserRuntime\ui\languages.xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\skin\skin1024x768.xm l";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\Promotion\Rus\virtua l-speaker.html";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\4dcfd9b7e901b57f81f66714460 3236\payloads\AdobeFireworks9en_US\AdobeFireworks9 en_US.proxy.xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3\adobe_epic\eula\zh_CN\install2.html";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Adobe\Adobe Contribute CS3\Configuration\Strings\documenttypedeclarations .xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
__________________________________________________ ____________
Scan results at 2011-04-27

"C:\Users\Michael\Osorterat\sweden.xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\SolidWorks\Dissec tion\{CA3B8E34-BFE3-4A2C-9601-13B66A50A6B1}\Keywords.xml";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"

Michael

I reckon is some sort of new generation virus or exploits. Can you confirm this sorted out your problem?

I also turned off Search indexer and other services described earlier and so far everything is working alright.

dualboot
05-02-2011, 02:17 AM
My files showed same symptoms, interestingly enough file size and attributes(date modified) remains the same in corrupted file as in the original file.

akademus
05-02-2011, 02:28 AM
My files showed same symptoms, interestingly enough file size and attributes(date modified) remains the same in corrupted file as in the original file.

Yes, the files are the same size, no signs of access to them. They just become corrupted. On the USB drive i noticed constant read/write when they were becoming corrupted.

I'll scan now with AVG to see do I get the same results as Prometheus...

Oleeblood
05-02-2011, 03:31 AM
What do you mean? What exactly you did to sort it out?

I talk about this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/bitlocker-error-event-id-24620-locate-id-1033-in/ab340eb0-726c-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/bf617c46-40f3-4e00-a4fd-79eaf0294ff5

Repair (maybe works):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928201

Mitja
05-02-2011, 03:33 AM
wtf...just a brief recap of this thread please, it is LW10 or a virus?!

akademus
05-02-2011, 04:06 AM
My AVG results scan came like this

"";"C:\Users\Animator.STUDIO.000\AppData\Local\Microso ft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\FYRASSD5\joealter_com[1].htm";"Virus found JS/Redir";"Moved to Virus Vault"

"";"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2010\Python\Lib\tcl8.5\tzdata\A sia\Hovd";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"";"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\plugcfg\CAT\Clips\Mocap\motionanalysis\MattCa rtwheel1.htr";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"

"";"C:\Program Files (x86)\Crazybump Beta Test\CrazyBump.exe";"Trojan horse Generic_c.AVRD";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"";"C:\Program Files (x86)\Abrosoft\FantaMorph4\FantaMorph.exe";"Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic13.LCQ";"Moved to Virus Vault"

I see Virus identified Exploit.RAR in two places which comes the same as Prometheus.

@dualboot: Can you also scan your system with AVG to see if you get the same results?

What I think its a some sort of exploit virus that plants itself into corrupted files, because AVG found the same thing in Max and Maya directories which are both corrupted at the moment on my computer.

Fausto
05-02-2011, 04:26 AM

I'm happy you're using OSX as well, kidding.. Just as there are people that have had horrible experiences with Windows there are others that haven't. And given OSX's pathetic performance at PWN2OWN 4 years running I'm not sure I'd feel secure running it either. This isn't a Window's problem, it's a user/machine/problem. Put another way, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

I for one have never had an issue with WIN7, VISTA, XP, WIN2K or NT. I have never had a virus, never had this type of corruption. Sure I've had my share of Hard Drive failures over the years, but that was anticipated and prepared for. Underpowered PC's can cause data corruption, but I'm dubious about it being this severe. Corruption due to underpowered PSU usually happens over a prolonged period of time, not all at once. If I had to bet what the cause might be, I'd bet the farm on it being some kind of virus coupled with external access through an open firewall. In other words, someone might be F**king with you...

Cheers, hope you get to the bottom of it.

PS, glad I'm running WIN7 64 :)

prometheus
05-02-2011, 04:35 AM
avg moved the viruses to the vault, but the files are still unreadable.
I did a couple of system restores a few days back before the virus scan, but that didnīt help restoring the corrupted files, except for correcting all the icons in the taskbar.

Im gonna try with some recovery tools like stellar phoenix or/and recover my files, but I need to put a new fresh hard drive in and switch the infected drive to a slave drive.

perhaps this virus or something else has attacked the crc headers??
thus becoming unreadable.

Michael

dualboot
05-02-2011, 04:41 AM
AVG found nothing on the system and I did a full scan including already corrupted directories. It did find Hub.exe as a potential danger. Go Figure.

akademus
05-02-2011, 04:48 AM
AVG found nothing on the system and I did a full scan including already corrupted directories. It did find Hub.exe as a potential danger. Go Figure.

Interesting. I'll run it at home as well to see if there is anything similar on my laptop which was also infected...

OnlineRender
05-02-2011, 04:57 AM
My AVG results scan came like this

"";"C:\Users\Animator.STUDIO.000\AppData\Local\Microso ft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\FYRASSD5\joealter_com[1].htm";"Virus found JS/Redir";"Moved to Virus Vault"

"";"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2010\Python\Lib\tcl8.5\tzdata\A sia\Hovd";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"";"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\plugcfg\CAT\Clips\Mocap\motionanalysis\MattCa rtwheel1.htr";"Virus identified Exploit.RAR";"Moved to Virus Vault"

"";"C:\Program Files (x86)\Crazybump Beta Test\CrazyBump.exe";"Trojan horse Generic_c.AVRD";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"";"C:\Program Files (x86)\Abrosoft\FantaMorph4\FantaMorph.exe";"Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic13.LCQ";"Moved to Virus Vault"

I see Virus identified Exploit.RAR in two places which comes the same as Prometheus.

@dualboot: Can you also scan your system with AVG to see if you get the same results?

What I think its a some sort of exploit virus that plants itself into corrupted files, because AVG found the same thing in Max and Maya directories which are both corrupted at the moment on my computer.

whooooooooooooooo hold your horses people ........
firstly don't trust everything AVG says , I couldn't trust it as far as I could throw it and that includes the use of the app on android syst3ms , ps there is a huge exploit on that platform eating away mobile data .

secondly about 6 months ago I did post on here , be carefull killer virus doing the rounds corrupts all data , maybe now its just finally nested and people are starting to see its results . just google IBM xforce team , you will get wads of latest info .

Third be carefull moving to vault is not always a good method , for all you know the virus was coded to be detected and when moved to vault or accessed by the AV program , it triggers the threat ,just saying moving it dosnt mean its removed ,which leads me onto my next point

Fourth
A syst3m format may remove a lot of registry errors, some/most viruses but if the program has infected your cmos/bois or chipware , effectively all your doing is just clearing the pallet for it to start all over again .

5th Lets get back on track ,lets not totally rule out LW as the culprit , for all we know its opening ports somewhere which is causing problems , highly doubt it , but lets not rule it out .

start over again and find a common ground .

Oleeblood
05-02-2011, 05:02 AM
wtf...just a brief recap of this thread please, it is LW10 or a virus?!

... it's virus and/or win7 internal error (BitLocker driver)... not Lightwave...

dualboot
05-02-2011, 05:22 AM
It has nothing to do with Bitlocker...read carefully Wiindows XP x64 SP2 computers have been affected aswell.

OnlineRender
05-02-2011, 05:27 AM
It has nothing to do with Bitlocker...read carefully Wiindows XP x64 SP2 computers have been affected aswell.

SO we can change the thread title now ?

To : Critical Virus ,Corrupts all DATA ON HD's Lightwave was just installed at the same time unfortunately . :rock:

dualboot
05-02-2011, 05:29 AM
@jwiede, thx for the suggestion and I will try with Sysinternal tools just as I finish work I have, maybe thursday. I can't take anymore chances right now.

Mitja
05-02-2011, 05:36 AM
SO we can change the thread title now ?

To : Critical Virus ,Corrupts all DATA ON HD's Lightwave was just installed at the same time unfortunately . :rock:

+1
This thread gave me grey hair...

akademus
05-02-2011, 05:43 AM
+1
This thread gave me grey hair...

Imagine how gray it would become if this is happening to you too...

Anyhow more screen grabs hot some of the txt files from AE CS5 folder look after the tornado...

+1 about changing the title, but please leave the thread as it could be useful for people experiencing this crap...

dualboot
05-02-2011, 06:29 AM
I wish someone from Newtek could give us information like "Lightwave is incapable of doing file corruption on this level. ", and yet apart from Matt we haven't heard anything from anyone.

akademus
05-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I don't know what just happened bu it looked like malicious program crashed. :)

Log says this:
Application popup: 畄浭坹湩潤汷獥sᡇ焠꡹焵拔焵䂔焸꡹焵ྰ焭东然怹焽恁焽撲焵ሺ焹퀁焹耦焵拐焵杢焵書焵弢焵燖焵罅焵翓焵Ⴞ焠 祰焵爴焵慭汩潴: chrome.exe - Application Error : The instruction at 0x71274502 referenced memory at 0x0f79ffff. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

SBowie
05-02-2011, 07:02 AM
I wish someone from Newtek could give us information like "Lightwave is incapable of doing file corruption on this level. ", and yet apart from Matt we haven't heard anything from anyone.Has anyone actually gone to the length of submitting a proper bug report? Discussing the matter with Tech Support?

(These are user forums - principally formed for users to discuss matters and help each other. Tech Support, dev team members and other staff occasionally drop in, but they really don't patrol here.)

Elmar Moelzer
05-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Steve, would you please rename this thread. I find its title apalling.

Lewis
05-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Steve, would you please rename this thread. I find its title apalling.

:agree::agree:

Paul_Boland
05-02-2011, 09:27 AM
This thread scared the crap out of me but glad to see that the issue seems to be a virus and not Lightwave 10.

Elmar Moelzer
05-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Steve!

SBowie
05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Actually, William and I hit it at about the same time ... slightly different choice of names, but he won, having ended his edit session after mine. ;)

JamesCurtis
05-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I had an odd occurrence a few weeks back. When I went onto the internet with Firefox on my Vista 64bit machine my resident virus checker software [Avast] came up with warnings that files were infected and had closed the connections.

I quit Firefox and restarted it. Upon opening, I was getting warnings on everything. This was even happening on emails and anything that was .html and xml. The emails were the same ones I'd opened before with no problems!

I ran Avast to do a HD check, and it was finding 10's of thousands of files supposedly infected. I quit the check partway through after about an hour - but saved the log.

I shut down the machine to think about what to do.

Later that day, I went back onto the Internet, and noticed I was not getting the errors anymore and that my Virus software definitions were updated.

I once again ran Avast and checked my whole system, and it passed it totally clean!

A friend of mine suggested installing and running Spybot and Adaware just to be sure about things. Spybot did find some malware and I removed them. Adaware came up clean.

I ran another complete System check with Avast which finished clean! I haven't had an issue with this since.

I'm not sure what caused it, but suspect it was caused either by:

1) downloading a particular .jpg file [which WAS really taking an inordinate amount of time to complete] Maybe a bogus file.

or

2) a wierd glitch during Avast's program and definition software install.

This didn't have anything much to do with Lightwave itself, but was brought to the attention here because of things that can and do happen.

Scary! I thought I'd lost all of my project work of the last 3 months!

Phil
05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Does no-one connect to a NAS, back-up their data, and then disconnect? It's been my approach for years now. If something bad happens, the backups are isolated. The one fly in the ointment is off-site backups. For the amount of data involved, DropBox doesn't cut it.

Wade
05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Ordering a few extra 2 terabyte external hard drives to back up all work on weekly - then disconnect...
Have things backed up now but one more layer might not be bad all things considered.

VonBon
05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Turn on automatic updates (Not Recommended) :D

Elmar Moelzer
05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I have a portable USB drive here that I use for the purpose of doing backups of my important work- related files. That USB drive is usually disconnected and is sitting in a drawer, so if I get infected, the data is save. Only dangerous times are when I have to connect it, in order to do my backups. This is rare enough though to minimize the chances of infection.

serge
05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
"Critical Computer issue"? Is this certain, I mean, can't it be something else? Wouldn't "Issue" suffice?

OnlineRender
05-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Turn on automatic updates (Not Recommended) :D

it's funny because it's true .............

dualboot
05-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I see that the general opinion is that this should be dismissed as Lightwave issue and pinned down to Virus/Malware.

I'm begging the developers to check this possible issue with Lightwave since I have scanned everything and I mean everything with multiple Antivirus Scanners(nod32, avast, kaspersky, avg) and Rescue Discs(Kaspersky, F- Secure) and nothing, absolutely nothing was found.

It took me four times to pin down the issue to Lightwave 10 x64 with last time on purpose, on new and clean Hard Drive without anything installed but the Windows 7 SP1 X64, just copied Lightwave form work computer and used portable versions of Opera and Skype, I haven't even reactivated Windows.

If there is any common sense this should be checked since it is now obvious that I'm not the only Lightwave 10 user that had expirienced this.

Thank You.

Exception
05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I HATE!, HATE!, HATE! pretty much everything Microsoft has done in the last 5-7 years with the possible exception of the Xbox360.

What? You liked what they did before then? ;D

Exception
05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Dualboot and Akademus, I would suggest that there's a possibility that both your symptoms are similar but that the cause is different.

Malfunctioning hardware is a possibility.
Malware is a possibility.

It is also possible that LW has something to do with it in either case, but gathering from the responses, it seems that's less likely.

SBowie
05-02-2011, 05:01 PM
If there is any common sense this should be checked since it is now obvious that I'm not the only Lightwave 10 user that had expirienced this.I'm not unsympathetic to your concern ... however, at risk of repeating myself: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1137353&postcount=82

Wade
05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Dualboat,

I noticed a post of your awhile back -

"Lightwave 10 Portable, possible?
Does anyone knows if there is a way to make Lightwave 10 more or less portable, every Lightwave directory and file inside one main directory("C:\Lightwave"), including license?"

Have you been attempting to make Lightwave portable? I wonder if there was something you might have attempted that opened the door to mal-ware... Just a thought.

Really hoping it does not turn out to be LW10 please keep after this until you figure it out so we will all know if we are in the clear or in jeopardy.

Thank you,
Wade

caesar
05-02-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm happy you're using OSX as well, kidding.. Just as there are people that have had horrible experiences with Windows there are others that haven't. And given OSX's pathetic performance at PWN2OWN 4 years running I'm not sure I'd feel secure running it either. This isn't a Window's problem, it's a user/machine/problem. Put another way, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

I for one have never had an issue with WIN7, VISTA, XP, WIN2K or NT. I have never had a virus, never had this type of corruption. Sure I've had my share of Hard Drive failures over the years, but that was anticipated and prepared for. Underpowered PC's can cause data corruption, but I'm dubious about it being this severe. Corruption due to underpowered PSU usually happens over a prolonged period of time, not all at once. If I had to bet what the cause might be, I'd bet the farm on it being some kind of virus coupled with external access through an open firewall. In other words, someone might be F**king with you...

Cheers, hope you get to the bottom of it.

PS, glad I'm running WIN7 64 :)

Hi Fausto. Some time ago I worked as a certified MS System Engineer (Win 2k/2k3 Server) and Security Specialist ;). I was paid to solve this kind of thing.
I don't *hate* Windows, but after Vista and 5-6 years of troubleshooting I did the complete switch to OSX.
Most of the people discussing here knows a lot about PC, and still there's a lot of confusion trying to find the source of this "critical issue" (I'm 99.999% convinced it's NOT LW's fault).
I'm really glad this kind of problem is not a part of my life because of that switch.
My opinion: PC you struggle to maintain/stay ok
Mac: no/low maintenance, time wasted in productivity. 10 years of NO viruses in OSX

About PWN2OWN: it's piece of cake with both physical access and sys admin ... you can get that in a PC remotely with a little more minutes ;)

Cheers,

Cesar Falcao

Originally Posted by VonBon
Turn on automatic updates (Not Recommended)
it's funny because it's true .............

Cageman
05-02-2011, 09:55 PM
For this to be related to LW10, there need to be more people than a handfull seeing weirdness going on. We are running 7 lics of LW10 at work, and none of these machines have ever corrupted any files.

I've been running LW10 at home on two machines (my old workstation and now my new workstation) and so far I havn't seen anything out of the ordinary.

akademus
05-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Dualboot and Akademus, I would suggest that there's a possibility that both your symptoms are similar but that the cause is different.

Malfunctioning hardware is a possibility.
Malware is a possibility.

It is also possible that LW has something to do with it in either case, but gathering from the responses, it seems that's less likely.

I'm excluding the hardware failure simply because odds to have two brand name workstations (boxx and hp z800) and a spanking new laptop from reputable manufacturer like Toshiba all fail within 10 days to be quite impossible (or should i start playing lottery!?)

Plus several other people had the same problem so every logic dedicated brain cell tells me its a malware of some sort, probably unknown yet, which why antivirus softwares don't respond.

Fausto
05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi Fausto. Some time ago I worked as a certified MS System Engineer (Win 2k/2k3 Server) and Security Specialist ;). I was paid to solve this kind of thing.
I don't *hate* Windows, but after Vista and 5-6 years of troubleshooting I did the complete switch to OSX.
Most of the people discussing here knows a lot about PC, and still there's a lot of confusion trying to find the source of this "critical issue" (I'm 99.999% convinced it's NOT LW's fault).
I'm really glad this kind of problem is not a part of my life because of that switch.
My opinion: PC you struggle to maintain/stay ok
Mac: no/low maintenance, time wasted in productivity. 10 years of NO viruses in OSX

About PWN2OWN: it's piece of cake with both physical access and sys admin ... you can get that in a PC remotely with a little more minutes ;)

Cheers,

Cesar Falcao

Cesar, your reasons for switching are your reasons. If you're happy with that decision, that's terrific. Honestly, I'm not a evangelist for Microsoft, if there were better solutions for me and my company, I'd move to them in a heart beat. I'm about what works for me, and the criteria I use is simple.

Cost: Is it affordable, and am I getting what I need for a decent price? For me apple hardware doesn't match that criteria. I can purchase much faster hardware of my choosing for far less and I'm not restricted in those choices for video cards or other peripherals by apple's prescriptive model.

Stability: Despite apple's marketing efforts, Non apple PC hardware is not lower in quality. Quite frankly the only difference is the skin it comes in, and that's hardly a good value proposition for me. Since I'm not easily fooled and I know computers, short of consulting a lobotomist to have part of my brain removed buying apple hardware is out of the picture. And as far as operating systems are concerned, my experiences with Windows over the years, and especially now with Win7 have all been positive. You did notice I didn't mention ever using (Win95, 98 or ME) The Window's based OS's that I have used have been stable, bullet proof even. I don't struggle to maintain my systems, and I do have Auto update/ Let me decide to install enabled.

Software: Is the software that I need and use available for that platform? We use Visual Studio for most application development and Adobe's master collection for graphic design, multimedia and video as well as other software, some exclusively available for Windows.

Linus or Unix would be my next choices, but they don't fit my personal/business criteria...

Cheers,

Fausto

Elmar Moelzer
05-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Does anyone knows if there is a way to make Lightwave 10 more or less portable, every Lightwave directory and file inside one main directory("C:\Lightwave"), including license?"

Yes, this is the way I have my LightWave set up. The only thing you have to always install is the dongle drivers. There is no way arround that. Otherwise LW is one of the few applications that can run without a "real" installation (simple copy and paste is enough) and can be kept in a self contained folder.
Love it!
In order to do this, you first have to redirect LightWaves configs from the user directory to a directory inside the LightWave installation folder.
So how do you do that:
First make a directory called "configs" (or whatever you want to call it) and put it somewhere in your LW installation directory.
For the sake of simplicity, let me use C:\LightWave3D\ as an example for an installation directory. So you would then have a folder
C:\LightWave3D\configs
Then make a shortcut on your desktop, one for Layout and one for Modeler. Then in the command line add an empty space and then
-cC:\LightWave3D\configs
So the whole line would then look like this:
C:\LightWave3D\bin\layout.exe -cC:\LightWave3D\configs
make sure that there is no backslash at the end of the config path and make sure to not forget the space after layout.exe. There is NO space behind the -c though.
Of course it may look slightly different for your, depending on your LW- Version and Installation- Path.
Repeat the same thing for your Modeler Shortcut.
Make sure to launch Layout and Modeler from this shortcut - always.
The license.key file can still (luckily) go into the programs or bin folder inside your LightWave installation directory. LW will find the file there.
Now your entire LW- installation is self- contained.
If you want to install it on another computer, simply copy it to the same location (e.g. the root of the c- drive as in or example) and install the dongle drivers. Done!
I do that all the time. In fact, I have ever only installed LW on one computer. All other installations are always mirrors of that one.

dualboot
05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Well it happened again, this time working in Layout and with 32 bit version. I'm reverting to 9.6 completely until this mystery has been resolved.
If this happens with 9.6, I will rule out Lightwave, if not my conclusion will be obvious.

Elmar Moelzer
05-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Well it happened again, this time working in Layout and with 32 bit version. I'm reverting to 9.6 completely until this mystery has been resolved.
If this happens with 9.6, I will rule out Lightwave, if not my conclusion will be obvious.
I still think that this is purely coincidental and not causaly connected.
There is no way LW could corrupt files on your harddrive if it is not accessing these files in any way. How would such a thing be possible?
There is no magical way for an application to corrupt files on a harddrive.

SBowie
05-03-2011, 12:55 PM
There is no magical way for an application to corrupt files on a harddrive.The chances of LW corrupting files in Chinese is pretty slim, I'd say.

Cryonic
05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
The chances of LW corrupting files in Chinese is pretty slim, I'd say.

The screenshots look like Notepad is trying to interpret binary data and it is assuming that the code is ASCII text. That is why it shows up as weird languages when opened.

danielkaiser
05-03-2011, 03:01 PM
This all stinks of infection.

The fix? always wear protection.

Download Super Anti Spyware, it can catch somethings the others won't.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

SBowie
05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
That is why it shows up as weird languages when opened.Maybe - or maybe it's Chinese-source malware.

Elmar Moelzer
05-03-2011, 03:16 PM
The screenshots look like Notepad is trying to interpret binary data and it is assuming that the code is ASCII text. That is why it shows up as weird languages when opened.
Actually it would have to assume it to be unicode, not ASCII, if I am not mistaken, which makes this even more unlikely.

Chuck
05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Testing of the LightWave v10.0 builds proceeded for many, many months with thousands of testers in our beta group and in HardCORE, and there were no reports of any remotely similar occurrences of data corruption due to LightWave 10 operations. Nor have we experienced such issues in-house in our staff testing. The hardware listed from popular manufacturers is very likely to have been among such a large test group, as is the software mentioned as also being in use. So, if this were an interaction between LightWave and specific hardware or software configuration then it would have come up in testing. We would conclude that there is really no likelihood that LightWave 10 is the source of the problem.

That this may be a case of similar symptoms but perhaps more than one cause does seem reasonable given the descriptions of the incidents. Another point: I can recall from my technical support experience that it sometimes can be pretty difficult to pin down some problem sources and in looking at a prominent common element, it may be easy to miss something else that may also be in common in a group of incidents. LightWave is easy to notice ( :) ) and so can be the first thing that comes to mind as a common element. But it isn't likely the only common element.

LightWave's multi-threading support is built to insure full-time use of all available CPUs; this does mean your processor is going to push max voltage, and likely your memory subsystems as well, especially if you are running both VPR and FPrime at the same time. If a power supply is close to limit in normal activity, it will peg over in these kinds of operations.

For the other situations described, where system power does not seem to be at issue, it does sound like a virus that's getting around. If the infection is recurring, rather than re-installed commercial software, it may be in some other resource the user is accessing, perhaps a trusted online site that is infected but has not yet detected the issue.

Please rest assured, however that we will keep an eye open in our internal testing and among our test groups for any sign of any type of trouble that might be due to LightWave.

Wade
05-03-2011, 04:16 PM
so anybody want to drop it into the google translator? I for one won't touch it.

caesar
05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Cesar, your reasons for switching are your reasons. If you're happy with that decision, that's terrific. Honestly, I'm not a evangelist for Microsoft, if there were better solutions for me and my company, I'd move to them in a heart beat. I'm about what works for me, and the criteria I use is simple.

Cost: Is it affordable, and am I getting what I need for a decent price? For me apple hardware doesn't match that criteria. I can purchase much faster hardware of my choosing for far less and I'm not restricted in those choices for video cards or other peripherals by apple's prescriptive model.

Stability: Despite apple's marketing efforts, Non apple PC hardware is not lower in quality. Quite frankly the only difference is the skin it comes in, and that's hardly a good value proposition for me. Since I'm not easily fooled and I know computers, short of consulting a lobotomist to have part of my brain removed buying apple hardware is out of the picture. And as far as operating systems are concerned, my experiences with Windows over the years, and especially now with Win7 have all been positive. You did notice I didn't mention ever using (Win95, 98 or ME) The Window's based OS's that I have used have been stable, bullet proof even. I don't struggle to maintain my systems, and I do have Auto update/ Let me decide to install enabled.

Software: Is the software that I need and use available for that platform? We use Visual Studio for most application development and Adobe's master collection for graphic design, multimedia and video as well as other software, some exclusively available for Windows.

Linus or Unix would be my next choices, but they don't fit my personal/business criteria...

Cheers,

Fausto

Ok, happy to hear your business are running fine!

Chuck
05-03-2011, 06:09 PM
so anybody want to drop it into the google translator? I for one won't touch it.

Which...one of the "chinese" files or my post? :devil:

Exception
05-03-2011, 07:53 PM
If you want to install it on another computer, simply copy it to the same location (e.g. the root of the c- drive as in or example) and install the dongle drivers. Done!

:thumbsup:

...and.. don't forget to make new shortcuts on the desktop with the -cPATH option on the new machine. Which is the most time consuming part of the transfer. 30 seconds... :)

Love it too!

Exception
05-03-2011, 08:01 PM
在LightWave的10.0版本进行了许多试验,并在我们的测试组和中坚测试数千多月,并有任何的远程 数据损坏,由于类似事件的LightWave 10个操作的报告。我们也没有经历,在我们的测试机构的工作人员等问题。从流行中列出的硬件制造商极有可能 在这样一个大的测试组被作为AS还正在使用中提到的软件。所以,如果这是一间LightWave的和特定的 硬件或软件配置的互动那就来在测试。我们可以得出结论,实在没有可能性的LightWave 10是问题的根源。

这可能是一个类似的症状如此,但也许比一个原因似乎合理鉴于事件的描述。还有一点:我记得从我的技术支持的 经验,它有时是相当困难的牵制一些问题源在寻找一个突出的共同点,以及它可能很容易错过一些其他可能也将在 一组共同事件。 LightWave的是容易注意到()等可以成为第一个想到的东西作为一个共同的元素。但它不是唯一的可能 是常见的元素。

LightWave的的多线程支持是建立在保证全职所有可用的CPU使用,这意味着您的处理器将推动最大电 压,并有可能你的内存子系统以及,特别是当你同时运行两个VPR和FPrime时间。如果电源被关闭,以限 制正常活动,将挂在以上这些类型的操作。

至于其他描述的情况,在系统电源似乎并没有在问题上,它像一种病毒,它的声音越来越靠近。如果感染是反复出 现,而不是重新安装的商业软件,它可能会在其他一些资源的用户访问,也许是值得信赖的在线网站,是感染,但 还没有发现问题。

请放心,不过,我们会密切留意我们的内部测试,并在任何任何麻烦可能是由于我们的LightWave类型的 标志试验组一睁一眼闭一眼。

That's Chuck's post in Chinese.

Liu Gengxue Tongrunzhongjiao s ᡇ quenching ꡹ Gang pulled Gang 䂔 Ying ꡹ Gang ྰ Qiongdongrantan Uunenuupu Gang ሺ Wang 퀁 Wang Ougangguaigang Jianggangshugang Taogangxungang Xiagangxiegang ხ quenching Gao Gangjue Gangyinguzhu

That's the error message Chinese text in English. Message? Um. No. :)

Exception
05-03-2011, 08:03 PM
And this is the Chinese translation of Chuck's post translated back to English.

Perhaps this is an improvement? :devil: :D

In the 10.0 version of LightWave a lot of tests, and in our test group and the backbone of testing thousands more than a month, and have any remote data corruption, because of similar incidents LightWave 10 operations is reported. We have not experienced in our testing agency staff and other issues. From popular hardware manufacturers are listed in most likely in such a large test group is used as the AS is also mentioned in the software. So, if this is a LightWave and specific hardware or software configuration of the interaction it to the test. We can conclude that there is no possibility of LightWave 10 is the root of the problem.

This may be a similar symptom of this, but perhaps one reason it seems reasonable in view than the description of the event. Another point: I remember from my experience in technical support, it is sometimes quite difficult to pin down some of the problems in finding a prominent source of common ground, and it may be easy to miss some of the other may also be a common event in a group. LightWave is easy to note () that can be the first thing thought of as a common element. But it is not the only possible is a common element.

LightWave's multi-threaded support is built in ensuring the full use of all available CPU, which means that your processor will drive the maximum voltage, and may your memory subsystem, and, especially when you run two VPR and FPrime Time. If the power is turned off to limit normal activities, will be hung in these types of operations.

As for the other cases described, the system power supply does not seem to question, it is like a virus, its voice is getting closer. If the infection is recurring, rather than re-install commercial software, it may in some other resources, user access, and perhaps a trusted online site of infection, but found no problems.

Please be assured, however, we will closely monitor our internal testing, and any trouble in any of our LightWave may be due to the type of sign test group eyes opened a closed one.

Ernest
05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
So let's not open the file in a text editor. Let's open in in a hex editor and let's see if the contents correspond to a fragment of a lightwave file (either scene or object).

That would still not tell us how it got there, but if the files were indeed partially overwritten by Lightwave data, then we'd know it's not a virus. It would have to be a defect in LW's custom IO routine or, (if, as I'd expect, LW doesn't use a custom IO routing but uses the OS's robust file-writing routines instead) a hardware/power supply failure that causes the hard drive to write to the wrong sector (probably caused by increased HW strain/power demand in LW 10 compared to previous versions).

If the hex data says something like "Madhaxxor was here," then mystery solved.

jaf
05-03-2011, 10:05 PM
System heat, under-powered or a defective (noisy) power supply, intermittent or loose cabling, intermittent or heat sensitive memory modules, malware, viruses, the list goes on-and-on.

It's tough sometimes, but usually, all you can really do is try to isolate the problem one change at a time. Sending a drive to an external testing source doesn't test the drive with your hardware.

Maybe you have a spare SATA cable, an external fan to lower the system temperature, or pull some of your memory, or run a good memory diagnostic.

There are plenty of applications that can really load down your system, like many of the distributed computing programs like SETI, etc.

It's very tedious trying to isolate problems one step at a time.

dualboot
05-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Here are the original and corrupted versions of .txt files I made. Maybe someone who knows can check them for corruption reason.

colkai
05-04-2011, 04:07 AM
System heat, under-powered or a defective (noisy) power supply, intermittent or loose cabling, intermittent or heat sensitive memory modules, malware, viruses, the list goes on-and-on.
Indeed!
As regards heat, that can be a sneaky killer, push comes to shove, grab a honkin' big room fan, open your case and aim that sucka at the case.
I did just that at one point, it dropped the temp a couple of degrees enough to prove heat was indeed the problem.
Though a good indicator is if things are ok to start with then slowly go South. Underclocking your PC could also sort out if heat is related.

Trouble is, if your problem is the HDD getting hot, or an intermittent fan problem, it's a mare to hunt down.

Plus of course, not everyone has a spare set of memory, hard drive, cables etc.. to isolate each part one at a time.

If it's something like a joint that has gone "dry" or a slow failure in a chip, then you are alas never going to find the problem. I recall the days of having multiple spare HDD controller cards for such tests, these days, if summat like that goes, it's a new Mobo.

Simple rule is, if everything works fine on another system, albeit it slowly or whatever, it's darned unlikely to be an issue driven by the software.

That said, it's darned unlikely to be the case regardless otherwise you'd have a screaming mass of folks in short order.

I envy you not one bit in having to try to hunt the problem down. :(

Amurrell
05-04-2011, 04:25 PM

It's not the LightWave, It's not the LIGHTWAVE!

Elmar Moelzer
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
So let's not open the file in a text editor. Let's open in in a hex editor and let's see if the contents correspond to a fragment of a lightwave file (either scene or object).
Well it for sure could not be the scene files. They are plain text.

tomjacobs
05-06-2011, 09:47 PM
The only way I see that it could be work with LW 9.6 and corrupts with LW10 is that LW 10 make more use of your video card. This will make the card pull more power and generate more heat in your case. I believe Jen and others are correct with needing to replace the PSU and / or improve air flow in the case.

btw: I have been using LW10 with Windows 7 64 bit on a dell 490 machine with a problem.

deemon
05-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Okay, it's official that this problem has nothing to do with LW, as expected; got my system corrupted again with the same symptoms and no LW10 was used.

Elmar Moelzer
05-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Okay, it's official that this problem has nothing to do with LW, as expected; got my system corrupted again with the same symptoms and no LW10 was used.

Ok, that is good to know! Thanks for the clarification.
I guess that everyone can take a deep breath now and go back to sleep ;)
For anybody else experiencing problems like that, it would be cool if you could post a follow up on the true nature of the problem... if you ever find out.

Red_Oddity
05-07-2011, 06:59 AM

Well, at least that's one little step closer to figuring out what is causing it.

Frustrating none the less, i know the feeling (it took us 2 years to figure out the nightly blue screens of death we where having on and off where a combination of Mental Ray for Maya batch rendering and the drivers of the USB network cards that where used as license dongles. Only occurred at night, while doing batch rendering, with the stick inserted.)

akademus
05-10-2011, 05:19 AM
It just happened again while working in LW 10. Slightly different as it garbaged whole program files directory.

On a HP Z800 workstation...

Does anyone have ANY information on what could be causing this as its very annoying and affects productivity big time...

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 05:34 AM
It just happened again while working in LW 10. Slightly different as it garbaged whole program files directory.

On a HP Z800 workstation...

Does anyone have ANY information on what could be causing this as its very annoying and affects productivity big time...

Its a mixed board , some people are saying its during running LW10 and some say Lightwave it has no infullence .

I cant see why or how Lw could cause files on your HD to be become garbled , but there is something going on! , I know LW only writes when saving so it could be auto save feature thats causing it to write elsewhere.

dont suppose you have been browsing Cgp lately ?

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 05:37 AM
text file corrupt:
8F‰‡xWXmits character mangling , its as if there is an encode problem somewhere which is generally caused by bug or virus ...

good luck , I had no problems with LW10 demo , so I have no idea speak with a dev

akademus
05-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Its a mixed board , some people are saying its during running LW10 and some say Lightwave it has no infullence .

I cant see why or how Lw could cause files on your HD to be become garbled , but there is something going on! , I know LW only writes when saving so it could be auto save feature thats causing it to write elsewhere.

dont suppose you have been browsing Cgp lately ?

I don't say is LW10, I just said I was working in LW10 while it happened.

What is Cgp?

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 06:26 AM
Dp

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 06:27 AM
I don't say is LW10, I just said I was working in LW10 while it happened.

What is Cgp?

if you don't know , you do not need too :) anyways back on track ....
how much data would you say is being corrupted ?

1% of the HD or the whole thing ?

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Data Corruption interesting reads:

High performance and relatively low cost of GPU-based platforms provide an attractive alternative for general purpose high performance computing (HPC). However, the emerging HPC applications have usually stricter output correctness requirements than typical GPU applications (i.e., 3D graphics). This paper first analyzes the error resiliency of GPGPU platforms using a fault injection tool we have developed for commodity GPU devices. On average, 16-33% of injected faults cause silent data corruption (SDC) errors in the HPC programs executing on GPU. This SDC ratio is significantly higher than that measured in CPU programs (<2.3%). In order to tolerate SDC errors, customized error detectors are strategically placed in the source code of target GPU programs so as to minimize performance impact and error propagation and maximize recoverability. The presented Hauberk technique is deployed in seven HPC benchmark programs and evaluated using a fault injection. The results show a high average error detection coverage (~87%) with a small performance overhead (~15%). This is a practice talk of our IPDPS 2011 paper.

----------------------------------------------------
If the nForce 4 DMA logic is sufficiently stressed, data corruption will happen.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8171

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.raidinc.com/assets/documents/Whitepaper-Silent-Data-Corruption.pdf

there could be numberless entries why this could happen , back up back up

best idea I can suggest is to boot linux direct from the CD , it will highlight any HD corruptions or faults straight away , windows LIES

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 06:43 AM
do you get hit with a BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH ? technically it would class as hardware failure , so your machine will do one of two things , Switch Off "which is not nice " or BSOD ?>?

akademus
05-10-2011, 06:46 AM
No, I haven't seen blue screen since windows 95 (luckily) :)

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 06:54 AM
so your machine stays active and working,ok,hangs even ? how do know when it corrupts the files ?

sorry everyone is spitting out ideas and workarounds , but I dont recall anyone asking what exactly happened , baby steps people .

akademus
05-10-2011, 07:00 AM
so your machine stays active and working,ok,hangs even ? how do know when it corrupts the files ?

sorry everyone is spitting out ideas and workarounds , but I dont recall anyone asking what exactly happened , baby steps people .

Well all of a sudden I start a LW plugin for example and got the message it can't start.

Then it seems to hang slightly probable due to writing or whatever.

Now, while this seems not to be LW related it looks like it happens while I'm running LW, 9 or 10 or more often Modeler. Although I'm running LW, especially Modeler most of the time during work day.

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 07:04 AM
I gather you have Nvidia graphics card in that beast of a workstation ?

reason I ask it could be linked to latest drivers there is a patch , supposedly its causing data corruption.

but for now , so it hangs , but you can still function , ie shut Lightwave down , navigate in your OS "which will be win7"?

but again how do you know when it corrupts are you searching for these files , or is it soooo obv IE whole directories .

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Read this : http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/Quadro_Certified/270.71/270.71-WinXP-Quadro-Release-Notes.pdf

akademus
05-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Its Quadro FX3600. But I'm using older Maya signed drivers...

Beast is fairly outdated but quite fast :)

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
as for dualboot issue , it sounds very similar he mentions he has 2 cards , but he also mentioned icon corruption which is linked to Nvidia cards which again makes me think the graphics card is calling something from LW which triggers the corruption , but I also think dualboot you need bigger power pack it could be linked to the graphics cards not pulling enough power and the machine tripping .

Im not saying this is the solution or cause , but it sounds fishy and ironic ,which is why you should send bug reports away asap , it could be a function in lw that pushes the drivers to go funky .......then again several other users are running it fine ,compare notes .

posted on May 3rd BTW http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/Quadro_Certified/270.71/270.71-WinXP-Quadro-Release-Notes.pdf XP I gather there will be win Win7 fix somewhere ?

are you backwards drivers ? Ie not written for win7

as for the comment but it was tested by several hundred users in the core forums , that maybe true , but you can test the same app 1million times and still not pull the same error .

akademus
05-10-2011, 07:21 AM
as for dualboot issue , it sounds very similar he mentions he has 2 cards , but he also mentioned icon corruption which is linked to Nvidia cards which again make me think the graphics card is calling something from LW which triggers the corruption , but I also think dualboot you need bigger power pack it could be linked to the graphics cards not pulling enough power and the machine tripping .

Im not saying this is the solution or cause , but it sounds fishy and ironic ,which is why you should send bug reports away asap , it could be a function in lw that pushes the drivers to go funky .......then again several other users are running it fine ,compare notes .

posted on May 3rd BTW http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/Quadro_Certified/270.71/270.71-WinXP-Quadro-Release-Notes.pdf XP I gather there will be win Win7 fix somewhere ?

are you backwards drivers ? Ie not written for win7

I'm really reluctant to blame hardware as it happened to me on 3 different computers so far, in video cards thats Quadro 3600, Quadro 1700 and nVidia mobile 320.

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 07:28 AM
notice a pattern again all nVidia cards , but only hardware can write ! Lw is not writing its pulling ,so it could be influenced by the cards drivers going WTF !

warrenwc
05-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Same problem on different hardware HAS to be a bug or virus.
Anything running in the background on all 3 rigs?
Haven't read the Whole thread & don't really believe it's LW, but are you running the HUB & have you tried without it?
Shot in the dark, but are you running Itunes? I've heard numerous horror stories about it corrupting Windows.

akademus
05-10-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm also thinking virus...

No iTunes...

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 07:39 AM
ha got a ps3 :)

OnlineRender
05-10-2011, 07:41 AM
http://gsa.ca.com/vulninfo/vuln.aspx?id=39123

http://www.eset.com/beta

dualboot
05-11-2011, 01:43 AM
It isn't hardware for me with 99.9% of certainty. I'm running two different configurations, one with nvidia and one with ATi card, one with p5q asus board and one with p5k Asus Board one with XP x64 and one with Windows 7 x64. Both of these machines suffer only when Lightwave 10 is active. Last time it happened Hub was off, so that excludes it from my suspect list. Since I went back to 9.6 completely, no corruptions at all for several days until I finished the project. For me it happens exclusively with Lightwave 10 active.

Whatever this is, it corrupts every file not in use, and when I talked about desktop Icon corruption, it wasn't due to video corruption but due to missing shortcut targets which were destroyed.

If it is a virus/malware it is something that Eset, Kaspersky, F-prot, Avast and AVG do not detect which is a slim chance.

akademus
05-11-2011, 01:58 AM
edit: -----

danielkaiser
05-11-2011, 03:34 AM
Has anyone tried looking at the event viewer?

http://www.superantispyware.com

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

warrenwc
05-11-2011, 09:42 AM
If it is a virus/malware it is something that Eset, Kaspersky, F-prot, Avast and AVG do not detect which is a slim chance.

Viruses (viri?) are written to disable the popular antivirus programs all the time.
It's beginning to look like a rootkit, which can be extremely nasty & hard to find & get rid of.
Time to do some research.(I've never had to deal with one of these personally but rootkit revealer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445
Is a good place to start.)

xemka
05-23-2011, 03:23 AM
I had the problem with lightwave 9.6 just after installing Window 7 64bit Sp1 !!!
The good news: this is definitly not Lightwave 10's fault
The bad news: acording to me, Win 7 Sp1 is the problem.

beverins
05-23-2011, 08:52 AM
It isn't hardware for me with 99.9% of certainty. I'm running two different configurations, one with nvidia and one with ATi card, one with p5q asus board and one with p5k Asus Board one with XP x64 and one with Windows 7 x64. Both of these machines suffer only when Lightwave 10 is active.

I'm not so sure.

1) Please download and run CoreTemp. Let's see what your CPU temps are when under a full render.

2) download and run SpeedFan. It can reveal voltage levels.

3) go here and truthfully input what you have running. http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
- note the answer..

4) next go to this calculator - http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp Note the answer.

If both answers are over 650 watts, your PSU is absolutely to blame, no questions about it. If the number is over 650 you MUST BUY A MORE POWERFUL SUPPLY.

Note: do NOT buy ANY powersupply that is under $100. That's my rule of thumb. Another telltale sign is if the supply is LIGHTWEIGHT (though some manufacturers put in lead weights). Read reviews.

How do I know? I have a 750 Watt. I kept getting a blue screen. The calculators said I needed a 751 watt power supply. Hmm.. So I unplugged ONE hard drive (these take a lot of power, you know!) - blue screens stopped entirely.

Something else to know - the Nvidia FERMI series cards (460, 560, quadro 2000, quadro 4000, etc) are extremely PICKY, PICKY, PICKY about voltages. They want perfect, clean, absolute power. Seriously. Not a single momentary fluctuation of any degree of undervoltage or overvoltage. If they get any variance in the amount of voltage received, they WILL blue screen the computer. If Windows happens to be writing something to disk... blam -

But we aren't done yet.

5) take the computer apart and RESEAT every cable, card, board and connector aside from the CPU itself. Any dust? Computers are awesome vacuum cleaners. Compressed air! FWOOSH! Don't forget to blow out the actual slots because dust can settle into a slot even if the card is inserted! :devil:

6) If the CPU is overheating (by reading CoreTemp) you might benefit from reapplying thermal paste of a high quality and/or considering a far beefier heatsink. I'm talking Thermaltake V8 type monster or BETTER, like water cooling. Problem with water cooling is that you then still have to put in a few fans to keep the rest of the components cool. Computers, despite what you may think, like to BREATHE and have access to FLOWING AIR.

7) now go get a copy of SPINRITE 6.0. Burn a Disc, boot the computer and have it RIGOROUSLY check your drives. This WILL TAKE at least ONE DAY if not more. Plan on not using your computer for at least a day. Once done, then download and install updated virus and malware checking utilities. Run them.

One thing is for sure. I can guarantee you with all certainty that Lightwave is absolutely not to blame. :thumbsup: If you were to run ANY other 3D application the SAME thing would happen. If you were to download and run Crysis or Crysis 2 on "everything turned on" settings, your computer would do the SAME thing. Don't believe me? Try it. Get 30 day trials of 3ds max, Mudbox and zbrush. Run 'em ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Get the demo of crysis. Run that while rendering. I'll make you a bet your computer will BARF and corrupt!

I notice you are being a mite defensive because you are convinced it is Lightwave. It is not. It is your computer. It needs you to tend to its needs, it is letting you know that it is not in top shape.

beverins
05-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Another silm possibility is that the LW 10 exe has been compromised with a virus that is not being detected.

Another possibility is that it is Windows 7 SP1. Disconnect from the internet and try a fresh install of Windows 7 build 2600 with NO PATCHES. None, zero, straight from the original Win7 CD and that's IT. Latest drivers. Get a SOLID install. Once done, use IMAGING SOFTWARE to clone this.

Now install Lightwave 10 and your other software. Run them hard. Does the problem remanifest?

Keep in mind I still want you to test that PSU and hardware. You HAVE to complete that stage first. It isn't the quality of your hardware that is at issue here, it is the fact that it might be DAMAGED from problems such as overheating, loose cables / intermittent connections or undervoltage conditions.

3dWannabe
05-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Here's a bit of advice.

1. Don't run anti-virus on your main box. Given enough time, an antivirus program will decide to eat important system software or your important programs.

Use a 2nd box to run anti-virus on, and any files you bring in, check them on that machine.

2. Be religious about updating Flash and get rid of Acrobat (use http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ instead). Flash and Acrobat are the vectors used to get into your machine now-a-days by the bad guys.

3. Read http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.html and turn flash off when there is an un-patched vulnerability (about every few weeks).

4. If you really want to get uptight, read this on the current zero day issues:
http://www.eeye.com/Resources/Security-Center/Research/Zero-Day-Tracker

5. Use Firefox or Googe's Chrome. IE is evil. With Firefox, be SURE to install NoScript http://noscript.net/ - and keep scripting OFF for most sites.

6. Listen to this security podcast religiously. http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm Skype was mentioned recently with a bug that allows the bad guys to take over your machine - that remained unpatched for a while. There are archives that go back to the beginning, which would be useful if you want to understand security.

7. Be afraid, be very afraid.

dualboot
05-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I have been around computers for a very long time, I know perfectly well what are possible problems with under powered PSU, and systematic destruction of all data hooked to computer is not possible that way. I went and checked recommended Wattage for my Box, it is 478 Watts under full(100%) CPU, and GPU(100%) utilization if that will ease Your mind, remove 20% from 650 Watt PSU and it is still 40 Watts above clearance. Of course, Lightwave never uses both CPU and GPU to the max at the same time...it is either GPU or CPU.

I did scan my computer from fully updated Rescue Disks made by F-Prot nad Kaspersky, this means nothing could disable them since everything is done from Boot Linux System and nothing has been found.

I checked my Drives with a utility similar to Spinrite called HDD Regenerator. Everything was in perfect order.

I have played Crysis 2 on Full in 1920x1200 for ~2 weeks, nothing happened, no crash, no BSOD and no Data corruption.

I do not use IE, just Opera with built in noscript like functionality.

I'm running 9.6 for a while now on the same box and have no problems.

If this was Windows 7 x64 SP1 or Windows Xp x64 problem, be certain that Microsoft would be on this with speed of lightning...to avoid probable millions of dollars lawsuits from corporate world, and yet no one mentions anything about such bugs existing in Windows 7 SP1 and Xp x64 SP2.

If this is not Lightwave I am lost to what it is, since no one knows anything about it...

...even Internet has no recollection that this happened to anyone, anywhere, anytime...apart form here happening to at least 4 people.

NanoGator
05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/05/20/2334259/New-Malware-Simulates-Hard-Drive-Failure

^^ Is it related to this?

xemka
05-24-2011, 01:50 AM
One guy decided to avoid the problem by using lightwave on Ubuntu.

go read: http://blog.oleeblood.com/

marchermitte
06-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Hello there!
You're not alone, I'm suffering the same problem, see my post:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1152414#post1152414

Missing icones, missing licenses, desktop image gone (reset to win drfault) and everything without even restarting. Its seems to me that It happens after a LW 10 crash. (happened 4-5 times till now!)
Only on my Win 7 64 bit machine. Lw 9.6 runs fine and never gave me any problem. I just restored my system from a previous backup and don't use LW 10 anymore for now. As soon as I re-install It, the problem re-appears. I'm sure It's connected to LW 10. It might be a combination of things that LW 10 triggers, I don't know how deep LW 10 is implicated.... hum!

Cryonic
06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Check the max power consumption of your system vs the max possible output of your Power Supply. It is possible that LW10 is causing your GPU and CPU to eat more power than LW9.6 does and revealing a possible flaw in your Power Supply.

Elmar Moelzer
06-17-2011, 09:40 AM
To me it looks exactly like the thing Nanogator posted!

3dWannabe
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Try these free tools from Microsoft: The first is very new and I doubt very many people know about it.

http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

marchermitte
07-03-2011, 03:44 PM
BTW, I just noticed that both documents hard drives (2T docs + 3T backup) are in fact corrupted, all the files in there are messed up. Hard to swallow!!! I don't get It how in just a minute everything in that computer can get corrupted! I can restore the c drive because of Win 7 back up system but the rest is gone for good.

nacho75
12-30-2011, 05:59 PM
I have been experiencing this issue. Yesterday I was working with Lightwave 10.1 on windows 7 x64, (layout - texture baking) and suddenly desktop and taskbar icons gone, all links are broken. I rebooted windows and the problem was still there. Today all images on my computer are corrupted, I have just tried to upload a jpg to a linux box via lan but ubuntu cannot open it (header error 0x2 or something like that). I'm going to format windows, I know it's quite impossible but I suspect Lightwave is guilty in some way.

Paul_Boland
12-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I have been experiencing this issue. Yesterday I was working with Lightwave 10.1 on windows 7 x64, (layout - texture baking) and suddenly desktop and taskbar icons gone, all links are broken. I rebooted windows and the problem was still there. Today all images on my computer are corrupted, I have just tried to upload a jpg to a linux box via lan but ubuntu cannot open it (header error 0x2 or something like that). I'm going to format windows, I know it's quite impossible but I suspect Lightwave is guilty in some way.

Aw man, I thought this nightmare was passed. Not happy to see it resurface again. I thought it was clarified that Lightwave was not at fault here? If this topic is going to come back, can we get some clarification on this as I don't want my system being taken down!!

prometheus
12-31-2011, 05:44 AM
nacho75..that sounds more like a virus infection or windows registry corruption.

I had something like this a time ago, but not something related to lightwave as what I could see then, canīt remember exactly what it was thou, but most certainly an infection.

Michael

probiner
12-31-2011, 05:59 AM
had this issue on a hard drive. Basicly every file was "replaced" with another one with same size but corrupted. Lost alot :S Best wishes. Not LW related here I think. Both drives affected belong to the same physical drive and LW wasn't installed on them.

nacho75
01-02-2012, 01:40 AM
had this issue on a hard drive. Basicly every file was "replaced" with another one with same size but corrupted. Lost alot :S Best wishes. Not LW related here I think. Both drives affected belong to the same physical drive and LW wasn't installed on them.

:agree: probably it was an infection, anyway I was working on a clean install of windows. I was lucky: I was on holiday and I had to finish a little work with a laptop so I lost a backup copy. I'm repeating the situation to carry out an investigation into the murder, but nothing to report until now. Probably my laptop was victim of the virus number 393290322133097437932793239732979 in the history of windows.

Little_donkey
01-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Got the same problem on my pc.
I reinstalled windows, after a week same problem, text files corrupted(chinese text) and several programs not working (icons missing). Yesterday again the same problem.
And I'm also using Lightwave 10.1
I did a lot of research, found nothing on my problem, no one having this problem.
The only people having this problem are in this forum, so it can be Lightwave.

I did a scan with TDSSKiller by kaspersky and it did find a rootkit.
You can donwload here and try
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

Let me know if it did find something.

Cryonic
01-30-2012, 06:00 PM
If you're finding a rootkit, then that is probably the real issue. You are bringing a computer online that is in need of updates and is exposed to the Net without protection would be my bet (i.e. no router and/or firewall between the computer and the rest of the Net).

A good test. Install the system, install LW, don't ever plug it into the network (yes, it means you'll be without updates and have to sneaker-net the installers to the computer) and see if the problems persist. I bet they won't. Also, as others have suggested, find out the power consumption of the computer components vs the actual power the power supply can deliver.

Paul_Boland
01-30-2012, 06:45 PM
I have a question. Sorry if that has already been asked and answered but how would an insufficient power supply unit lead to chinese text overwriting english text files?

Cryonic
01-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Random characters being interpreted by a program as chinese. Or just someone thinking it looks like a bunch of weird characters and calling it Chinese. Like when you open a binary file in notepad.

prometheus
01-31-2012, 12:37 AM
most likely some sort of virus or maybe insufficient power supply that led to corrupted windows registry, I had similar issue too once, all files corrupted and some replaced with chinese text.

But that was some time ago and I havenīt experienced any more of that
even thou lightwave has been installed from 9.6 to lightwave 11 on work and at home.

make sure you have the firewall working correctly and at least avast, as antivirus or better.

do not lurk around on suspicious sites either, do not open email and links unless absolutly sure from whom and what it is about.

Michael

johnliebler
06-12-2013, 07:46 AM
I know that this is an old thread, but this happened to me just this past weekend. Files on two one terabyte drives rendered useless. AVG reported "Virus identified Exploit.RAR" on a couple of the corrupted files. I don't think Lightwave had anything to do with this, but I'm posting here to ask anyone who had this happen if they were able to recover any of the lost files, and if so, how? I've lost a lot of work. When my main client drive started to show something was wrong, I assumed the drive was dying, and hooked up my backup drive to rescue my work. Then the virus spread to my backup drive and took it down as well...

jwiede
06-12-2013, 07:13 PM
When my main client drive started to show something was wrong, I assumed the drive was dying, and hooked up my backup drive to rescue my work.
Weren't you running anti-malware software? Or was that the indication you took as meaning the hard drive was dying?

Once infected, if you anti-malware software cannot remove the infection without destroying the files, it will usually clearly state it cannot. If it can't you're likely out of luck.

jboudreau
06-12-2013, 07:48 PM
It isn't hardware for me with 99.9% of certainty. I'm running two different configurations, one with nvidia and one with ATi card, one with p5q asus board and one with p5k Asus Board one with XP x64 and one with Windows 7 x64. Both of these machines suffer only when Lightwave 10 is active. Last time it happened Hub was off, so that excludes it from my suspect list. Since I went back to 9.6 completely, no corruptions at all for several days until I finished the project. For me it happens exclusively with Lightwave 10 active.

Whatever this is, it corrupts every file not in use, and when I talked about desktop Icon corruption, it wasn't due to video corruption but due to missing shortcut targets which were destroyed.

Hi

I noticed earlier you said that you had CS5 installed on the machine when this happend to you. Do you always have CS5 installed on your machine when this happens.

I'm asking this because a few weeks ago the shortcut icons for my cs5.5 and cs6 installation went missing the shortcuts were destroyed and I had to manually fix them this happened to me 3 or 4 times. It seemed to happen after installing quite a few nvidia quadro drivers. I was doing some tests on which drivers worked best for my system

Not sure if this helps any but when you said the shortcuts disappeared I remembered this happened to me as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with nvidia drivers since you probably have to install new drivers everytime you re-install and start all over again

If this is the case have you tried doing a complete re-install but only use the default drivers that come when you install the os and see if the problem happens again. Also you could try running lightwave in safe mode and see if the problem exists then. Another great program you could try is sand boxie run lightwave through sandboxie that way nothing can be written to the hard-drive unless you let it. This way if your computer corrupts you definitely know that lightwave 10 was not the cause

Thanks,
Jason

omichon
06-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks John for digging out this thread, since I didn't noticed it until now.
I also have experienced the same kind of massive data corruption described in this thread, but haven't suspected any relationship with LW.
That was before I noticed some suspicious HD activity while Modeler was using a full CPU thread with no apparent reason. After starting a process monitoring, I could see Modeler accessing a huge number of files. All those files became suddenly corrupted. All that craziness stopped as soon as I killed Modeler.exe in the task manager.
Needless to say that nothing suspicious was detected by several tools like Nod32, Kaspersky or Malwarebytes. Hardware is out of suspicion too since I experienced this on two different computers (Dell Precision T5500 and T5600).
I know LightWave is not supposed to corrupt terabytes of data like that, but I am not sure anymore it isn't part of the issue. Maybe it happens in some rare scenario, but when it strikes, it's like having Attila at home.

Sanchon
06-15-2013, 09:23 AM
I had the same issue last year. I lost terabyte of data, corrupted shortcuts and system files in user data directory. I tried all antivirus software and reinstalling Windows 7 system without luck. Usually this happen when Lightwave was active but I'm not sure that it was related to make data corruption. This issue was gone when I moved to Windows 8. Hardware was the same. I had this issue in two computers with Windows 7, Photoshop CS5 and Lightwave installed.

Shell1850
06-15-2013, 02:27 PM
I service PC's. Keep your cpu fan clean and test the memory. I use a memory test program found at major geek dot com. I have fixed problems by cleaning memory contacts.

johnliebler
06-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Update:
I have been digging into this problem for a couple weeks now, and have not been able to get my files decrypted. It looks to be most likely a variant of a russian ransomeware. There are decoders for older versions of this, but not for the one I've got yet. If any of you who've gotten hit by this in the past still have some of the encrypted files, you might be able to get them back with a utility called RectorDecryptor, which is available free on Kaspersky's website. The version of the virus that I had can't be decoded yet, but they update the decryptor regularly, so there's still hope. The only good news I have personally, is that it only encrypts the beginnings of files, and I've been able to repair some quicktime mp4s of my rendered comps, with minimal loss. It looks like between ten and fifteen frames are missing, but I can rebuild a lot of my edits around them. If I need to go back and change things, I'll need to start from scratch though.

A question I have for the others who think they have had this virus, is do you use any plug-ins from Evasion3d (meshpaint, xdof, etc)? I ask because on the day that this happened, I had visited Evasion's website while troubleshooting a plugin conflict. They are a Russian company, and most references to this virus online are Russian. It's possible that their site was compromised. It is one of only about ten websites I visited with this machine on that day. I do most of my websurfing on another machine (trying to avoid incidents like this). I'm not suggesting that Evasion3D have any responsibility here, only that if they were compromised, it is a possible vector that could link Lightwave users and this particular virus.

Finally, for those who've mentioned it, yes I was running both antivirus (AVG) and antimalware (Malwarebytes) and both were updated. I also run Noscript in Firefox when browsing, but frequently need to allow scripts when actually trying to view a site. I can't remember if I manually allowed scripts to run on Evasion3D, but it's likely that I would have. I'm curious to find out if there is a way to check out a website, without leaving myself open to re-infection.