PDA

View Full Version : LW 10 .obj UV problems

khan973
04-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi, Recently, I've been trying to export my objects in Mudbox with their UV.
I was using the native .obj exporter and FBX too.
Everytime, Mudbox would find incorrect things and I would either have to drop the UV and let Mudbox create it (bad one) or keep it but all destroyed...
I tried with even really simple objects (cube) and same problem. It has driven me crazy and wasted my time on a project.

Today I decided to give it a little try again. I took a obbj Exporter plugin (can't remember the creator) and it worked...

So LW10 is definitely exporting wrong UV's! at least corrupted ones.
A big problem to me.

I got the plug-in here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65100

I hope it helps. I don't know how to fogbug that cause it might work well in other softwares.

CaptainMarlowe
04-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Bug has been reported. What I do in the meanwhile is to model/texture in LW10, then export to OBJ and FBX through 9.6. Not ideal, but at least it works.

3dWannabe
04-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi, Recently, I've been trying to export my objects in Mudbox with their UV.
I was using the native .obj exporter and FBX too.
Everytime, Mudbox would find incorrect things and I would either have to drop the UV and let Mudbox create it (bad one) or keep it but all destroyed...
I tried with even really simple objects (cube) and same problem. It has driven me crazy and wasted my time on a project.

Today I decided to give it a little try again. I took a obbj Exporter plugin (can't remember the creator) and it worked...

So LW10 is definitely exporting wrong UV's! at least corrupted ones.
A big problem to me.

I got the plug-in here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65100

I hope it helps. I don't know how to fogbug that cause it might work well in other softwares.

BTW - If you ever need to change the sub-d level in Mudbox (which kills the UV), you can use Maya's 'transfer Attributes' to create a new high res UV from the old UV. Select the low res object with UV, shift select the new Mudbox object without UV, then Transfer Attributes. Works like a charm.

3dWannabe
04-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Actually, I think my advice may be wrong (foot in mouth again!!).

Re-create Level UVs from the Mudbox Mesh menu may provide better UVs.

Sensei
05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Confirmed. Made box, atlas uv map, assigned UV in Surface Editor, Export > Export OBJ.. then loaded object.. and UV viewport is looking completely different..

So my advice is to keep both LW v10.x and LW v9.6 installed, and use LW v9.6 while exporting OBJ.

khan973
05-04-2011, 04:34 AM
The plug-in works so why not use it? I can stay in LW10 then

craigerz
05-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Omg I want 2 days of my life back! Was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my uvs were all messed up with this obj export issue, doesnt help that Im new to uvs either. Baaad first experience.

I tried that obj exporter plugin you linked us to but am getting an error: "Line 119. illegal arithmetic operation on data type."

Unfortunately I dont have 9.6. Im to understand 10.1 is out now, no? Newbe question warning: Im not finding an UPDATE command in the menu, nor a dl section on Newtek website (other than just to re-dl 10.0 trial). How does one update from 10.0 to 10.1?!

3dWannabe
05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Omg I want 2 days of my life back! Was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my uvs were all messed up with this obj export issue, doesnt help that Im new to uvs either. Baaad first experience.

I tried that obj exporter plugin you linked us to but am getting an error: "Line 119. illegal arithmetic operation on data type."

Unfortunately I dont have 9.6. Im to understand 10.1 is out now, no? Newbe question warning: Im not finding an UPDATE command in the menu, nor a dl section on Newtek website (other than just to re-dl 10.0 trial). How does one update from 10.0 to 10.1?!

Yeah, amazing how many basic things just don't work properly.

If you own 10, then you have access to HARDCORE forums. If not, you're out of luck.

I haven't tried it with 10.1 (busy learning Maya, MB and 3ds, and now Point Oven which imports lwo's directly into Maya, 3ds, etc.), but may actually try to install it just to see if it fixes any of this.

Have you tried FBX instead? FBX seems to be getting more 'love' with interoperability than OBJ nowadays. I've been so busy, I've lost track of what works and what doesn' work.