PDA

View Full Version : April LightWave Newsletter

04-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi all,

Here's the announcement for the April LightWave Newsletter: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118991

Discuss here.

wrench
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Nice job Vanita! Really liked the Pixomondo interview and glad that the PoTM got a mini-interview as well this time. In US English are you supposed to have the punctuation *inside* the quotes as shown here?

"Sucker Punch," "Green Hornet," "Iron Man 2," "Ninja Assassin," and currently, "Green Lantern," "Red Tails," and "The Invention of Hugo Cabret."

All the best,

B
PS. Got my CORE t-shirt and card, but still no LightWave 10... ;)

PPS. Link for the Polygon Pottery story is to "Story3", but it's actually "Story2"

Nicolas Jordan
04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the newsletter! I will have to read through it on the weekend.

caesar
04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
I enjoyed the Pixomondo article and the LW 10.1 car screenshot. I wanted more details about the Picture of the month, the new Skin shader and and....CORE......

realgray
04-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Really cool, loved the Pixomondo article. Car looked great.

GraphXs
04-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks Newtek!

Cageman
04-30-2011, 03:26 AM
Nice Newsletter... the Pixomondo article in particular.

Nemoid
04-30-2011, 03:31 AM
CORE ? What's CORE ? :D:D

littlewaves
04-30-2011, 04:55 AM

Bobby came out of the shower. It was all just a dream.

(a reference for our older viewers there)

Pavlov
04-30-2011, 07:50 AM
perplexed is all i can say.

RudySchneider
04-30-2011, 05:06 PM

WHOA! That is really reaching back!

cagey5
04-30-2011, 05:52 PM
...In US English are you supposed to have the punctuation *inside* the quotes as shown here?

Pedants kudos :thumbsup:

Cageman
04-30-2011, 05:54 PM
perplexed is all i can say.

Interresting reaction. Could you elaborate more? :)

Pavlov
04-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Honestly it's better if i dont, not before i have a clearer vision.
Rest assured you wont miss my post, in the case.

Paolo

-EsHrA-
05-01-2011, 04:12 AM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/profiles/imagesimage/newsletter/LightWave/2011-04-01/Pixo%201.JPG

what a cozy work environment....ehhrm..

TeZzy
05-01-2011, 04:50 AM
battery farming!!!!!

CORE can take it's time. We will be using other software to get the job done in the mean time....and if that's the case maybe CORE can take as long as it wants

cresshead
05-01-2011, 05:23 AM
ligthwave WITH core technology

akademus
05-01-2011, 05:46 AM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/profiles/imagesimage/newsletter/LightWave/2011-04-01/Pixo%201.JPG

Everyone has one screen only!? I can't imagine doing anything really serious without dual screens. Maybe its just me, but I don't find this room to be my dream job.

Nemoid
05-01-2011, 07:58 AM
ligthwave WITH core technology

LOL once it was CORE and some little Lw enhancement, now IMHO the situation seems to be totally reversed.
Also we know so little about development progress.
I'm not against CORE taking its time to develop well, as well as classic Lw being enhanced greatly, but sometimes chiming in and saying we're working on this, with some little vid can be enough for users and keep things alive..:)

Emmanuel
05-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Oh god. Was that before or after Miss Ellie quit the show ?

As for CORE: I do remember when NT was stating the decided to make a parallel crossover instead of reprogramming LW from scratch, because the latter would take MUCH LONGER.How long since they announced that ?

stevecullum
05-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Maybe its just me, but I don't find this room to be my dream job.

This is one of reasons I don't work for a studio. I find this kind of thing hampers any creativity in me (not that I got much anyway ;)).

Nicolas Jordan
05-01-2011, 06:49 PM

It definitely gives the impression of a fly by night operation even though it probably isn't.

Fulvio
05-02-2011, 02:56 AM

Blue or red pill ??

... this is you last chance ...
... after this there is no turning back !!

... if you take the blue pill the story end,
... you wake up happy in your bed
and you beleive that core is still released !!

... if you take the red pill you can see that lw core is existed only in wonderland !!

Nemoid
05-02-2011, 03:02 AM
Blue or red pill ??

... this is you last chance ...
... after this there is no turning back !!

... if you take the blue pill the story end,
... you wake up happy in your bed
and you beleive that core is still released !!

... if you take the red pill you can see that lw core is existed only in wonderland !!

I love sci fi movies so......uhm...is there a third pill pls ? :D:D

stevecullum
05-02-2011, 06:52 AM
It definitely gives the impression of a fly by night operation even though it probably isn't.

It's the factory style setup that bothers me - far too 'churn it out'. But I guess thats what you need these days to remain competative.

wrench
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
It looks like a gold farmer operation! :D

B

lardbros
05-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Only just noticed there was a new newsletter... i was left off the mailing list this month... even my work email AND my other home email was missed off, as they are all signed up to get the newsletters. If I was missed off, and I WANT to read these things... then others who need convincing that Lightwave is cool, could have equally missed out. Just hope there is a known reason for this?!?

Great job on the newsletter though!! Really substantial, and very interesting. Those pottery images were actually stunning... never thought i'd find it quite so nice to look at.

Lewis
05-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Very good Newsletter and lot of info/screens, thanks for update Vanita.

Netvudu
05-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I just checked Pixomondo jobs offers just because Iīm a curious chap.

Although I will admit itīs great for Lightwave to have this kind of initiatives the whole Lightwave department has a "rushed" and "temporal" feeling to it that doesnīt look very appealing. For starters, there are like 40 job offers at their website all around the world and only one of them is for Lightwave users. AFAIK, this Lightwave position is the only one that specifically states that it wonīt accept rellocation, adding to the temporal/rushed feeling to it.
Also, thereīs a typo because in the second paragraph or so it says Maya generalist, while the title is a for a Lightwave generalist.
I canīt state how good or bad this position is, but it doesnīt look very erm...letīs say "glamorous".

The look of the place isnīt the best ever, but sincerely...Iīve worked in much worse places...I would never blame a company for trying to maximize their facilities as long as itīs not under unreasonable terms. They have the obligation to allow the artists access to the hardware and physical situation to fulfill their taks. Not every studio has to look like a fairy tale.
I do agree that the more comfy the artist feels the better the work atmosphere. Itīs been proven that in the medium/long term this does affect to the quality output of the workers.
Itīs also true a studio has to be given their chance to grow before demanding comodities.

Netvudu
05-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Although I will admit itīs great for Lightwave to have this kind of initiatives the whole Lightwave department has a "rushed" and "temporal" feeling to it that doesnīt look very appealing. For starters, there are like 40 job offers at their website all around the world and only one of them is for Lightwave users. AFAIK, this Lightwave position is the only one that specifically states that it wonīt accept rellocation, adding to the temporal/rushed feeling to it.
Also, thereīs a typo because in the second paragraph or so it says Maya generalist, while the title is a for a Lightwave generalist.
I canīt state how good or bad this position is, but it doesnīt look very erm...letīs say "glamorous".

The look of the place isnīt the best ever, but sincerely...Iīve worked in much worse places...I would never blame a company for trying to maximize their facilities as long as itīs not under unreasonable terms. They have the obligation to allow the artists access to the hardware and physical situation to fulfill their taks. Not every studio has to look like a fairy tale.
I do agree that the more comfy the artist feels the better the work atmosphere. Itīs been proven that in the medium/long term this does affect to the quality output of the workers.
Itīs also true a studio should be given their chance to grow before asking for comodities according to its size. I do not know how "big" Pixomondo is by now, specially their TV section.

Cageman
05-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Itīs also true a studio has to be given their chance to grow before demanding comodities.

You mean this site?

http://www.pixomondo.com/web/hiring/index.htm

As far as I can tell, the only position that lists LightWave Generalist, is related to Television, and clicking on that link, I did not find any typos whatsoever.

EDIT: I see what you mean now. :) They copy/pasted the Maya Generalist text, replaced with LW, but forgot to remove Maya. :D Well, to be totally honest here... if the demand for LW artists is that big so that they have to rush the jobposting out... I can only see that as a good sign.. ;)

lardbros
05-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Same here. No newsletter email.

Hmmmm, hope they do sort this. I'm not bothered about reading it myself, as I'll always find it eventually, I spend half of my life in here... just that people who don't hang out here shouldn't be getting missed off the mailing lists. Like all the Siggraph people who swipe their attendance cards... if Newtek are missing potential customers out it's a problem. Imagine if there was a guy who was wondering how to model up his ancient broken pots, and gets the last newsletter through to his email... he would be stupid not to buy a copy!

Also, how on earth did all 3 of my signed up email addresses miss out on this one? Anyone from Newtek? :D

colkai
05-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Sorry, but that pottery site referenced in the newsletter is awful, each time a page loads I flinch.
Also, way too many "this is a great site..." comments, a shame when the article itself looks better than the site is it showcasing.

lardbros
05-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Have to wholeheartedly agree with you Colkai on the pottery wesbite... it's quite an abomination. I was thinking/nightmaring about it this morning, it would be MUCH better if it was just a basic HTML page, rather than all this "won't work in anything apart from IE" stuff. A shame as there is clearly a huuuge amount of work that has gone into it, and the renders are nice.

colkai
05-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Yep, that's what makes it all the more sad. Huge red letters "ain't this great!!!" etc..
Let's down what could be a nice site and sadly makes it feel it was put together by a "rather young person" shall we say.
Let those pots speak for themselves, they are worthy of it.

Iain
05-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Nice job Vanita! Really liked the Pixomondo interview and glad that the PoTM got a mini-interview as well this time. In US English are you supposed to have the punctuation *inside* the quotes as shown here?

From Webster's Third New International Dictionary:

13.1 Direct quotations: "When I am dead," said one of the keenest minds, "lay a sword on my coffin."

13.2 In long quotations, left-hand marks are placed at the beginning of every paragraph, as well as at the end of the selection.

13.3 Quotation marks are usually not used when the quoted matter is set in smaller type or in paragraphs indented on both sides.

13.4 Single quotation marks enclose a quotation within a quotation. The witness said, "I heard him say, 'Don't be late'; then I heard the door close."

13.5 Quotation marks enclose titles of short poems, paintings, lectures, articles, and parts or chapters of books. (Titles of whole books, periodicals, and newspapers are usually italicized in context.)

13.5.1 In American usage printers usually place a period or comma inside closing quotation marks whether it belongs logically to the quoted matter or to the whole sentence or context.... But when a logical or exact distinction is desired in specialized work in which clarity is more important than usual (as in this dictionary), a period or comma can be placed outside quotation marks when it belongs not in the quoted matter but to a larger unit containing the quoted matter. The package is labeled "Handle with Care".

13.5.2 Only one other mark accompanies closing quotation marks, whether the quotation and the whole sentence or context call for the same mark or for different marks. We shouted, "Where do you think you're going?" Why did you bellow, "Get out of here!"

13.5.3 A colon or semicolon is usually placed outside of quotation marks. "Fame is proof that people are gullible"; with this quotation, he retired in silence.

13.5.4 A colon or semicolon is sometimes placed inside the quotation marks when it belongs inseparably to the quotation. However, a terminal colon or semicolon of quoted matter incorporated in a sentence usually gives place to appropriate end punctuation. "Sirs:" is a salutation....

13.5.5 A question mark or exclamation point is usually placed inside or outside the quotation marks according to whether it belongs to the quoted matter or to the whole sentence or clause that includes the quotation. Can you forget his angry exit after he shouted "Include me out"? "And what do you think of this new novel?" his friend asked.

13.6 Quotation marks, often single quotation marks, sometimes enclose technical terms unfamiliar to the reader; words used in an unusual sense; and coined word, trade or shop jargon, or slang for which the writer implies a slight apology. An "em" is a unit of measure used in printing. He is "goofy" according to their lingo. 'Strangeness' is a property of elementary particles.

adamredwoods
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
So I see that Lightwave is at 10.1 now, but I see nothing about CORE or any improvements to the modeler (and still no native instancing after years...).

OnlineRender
05-11-2011, 02:32 PM
So I see that Lightwave is at 10.1 now, but I see nothing about CORE or any improvements to the modeler (and still no native instancing after years...).

leave poor Core alone , its sleeping

OnlineRender
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
From Webster's Third New International Dictionary:

13.1 Direct quotations: "When I am dead," said one of the keenest minds, "lay a sword on my coffin."

13.2 In long quotations, left-hand marks are placed at the beginning of every paragraph, as well as at the end of the selection.

13.3 Quotation marks are usually not used when the quoted matter is set in smaller type or in paragraphs indented on both sides.

13.4 Single quotation marks enclose a quotation within a quotation. The witness said, "I heard him say, 'Don't be late'; then I heard the door close."

13.5 Quotation marks enclose titles of short poems, paintings, lectures, articles, and parts or chapters of books. (Titles of whole books, periodicals, and newspapers are usually italicized in context.)

13.5.1 In American usage printers usually place a period or comma inside closing quotation marks whether it belongs logically to the quoted matter or to the whole sentence or context.... But when a logical or exact distinction is desired in specialized work in which clarity is more important than usual (as in this dictionary), a period or comma can be placed outside quotation marks when it belongs not in the quoted matter but to a larger unit containing the quoted matter. The package is labeled "Handle with Care".

13.5.2 Only one other mark accompanies closing quotation marks, whether the quotation and the whole sentence or context call for the same mark or for different marks. We shouted, "Where do you think you're going?" Why did you bellow, "Get out of here!"

13.5.3 A colon or semicolon is usually placed outside of quotation marks. "Fame is proof that people are gullible"; with this quotation, he retired in silence.

13.5.4 A colon or semicolon is sometimes placed inside the quotation marks when it belongs inseparably to the quotation. However, a terminal colon or semicolon of quoted matter incorporated in a sentence usually gives place to appropriate end punctuation. "Sirs:" is a salutation....

13.5.5 A question mark or exclamation point is usually placed inside or outside the quotation marks according to whether it belongs to the quoted matter or to the whole sentence or clause that includes the quotation. Can you forget his angry exit after he shouted "Include me out"? "And what do you think of this new novel?" his friend asked.

13.6 Quotation marks, often single quotation marks, sometimes enclose technical terms unfamiliar to the reader; words used in an unusual sense; and coined word, trade or shop jargon, or slang for which the writer implies a slight apology. An "em" is a unit of measure used in printing. He is "goofy" according to their lingo. 'Strangeness' is a property of elementary particles.

PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO -entering self destruct "mode" :P

OnlineRender
05-11-2011, 02:42 PM
if things are quiet on our end , they are probably hectic on there's

wrench
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks Iain, I don't think that in this case, which is most similar to 13.5, they should be present inside the quote, rather outside of it.

Your resident grammar nazi,

B

OnlineRender
05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks Iain, I don't think that in this case, which is most similar to 13.5, they should be present inside the quote, rather outside of it.

Your resident grammar nazi,

B

Pourriez-vous repeter s'il vous plait? :rock: technically wrong :) but I DONT CARE I AM FREE LOVING

kopperdrake
05-11-2011, 05:38 PM

"It's really rather clever, you see", said the boss man, "in Hangar 5, the pizzas are dropped through the vents above the flock's head, on to their desks, at regular intervals. The solitary skylight gives them just enough sunlight to prevent the development of rickets, but will not prevent them from seeing their screens due to glare. Placing it high allows the light to enter in, but not the view - the view will only cause unnecessary distraction. By judicial use of space, we have found that the heat from the computers is enough to keep the room at a comfortable temperature, but occasionally we need to fire up the heat lamp on the right."

Living the dream!

kopperdrake
05-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Yep, that's what makes it all the more sad. Huge red letters "ain't this great!!!" etc..

Yep - a pretty bad site with some great content. A 12Mb+ connection recommended, when the UK average broadband speed is only 6.2Mb - images saved at maximum jpg quality. Very painful.

OnlineRender
05-11-2011, 06:06 PM

Living the dream!

works work, but I would rather cut my wrists , how can this be creative ? reminds of the matrix battery farm

SBowie
05-12-2011, 05:08 AM
My understanding is that comma placement rules developed not so much from grammar, but rather typesetting:

The practice of where to place a comma or period relative to a quotation mark is rooted in the traditions of typesetting with movable metal type. In the early years of movable metal type presses, the small "sorts" used to make commas and periods were among the most problematic. These thin pieces of metal could easily become dislodged in the forme (the assembled arrangement of metal type from which a page was printed). Printers discovered through trial and error that commas and periods could be more reliably printed if they were routinely placed inside of quotation marks.

It seems as though such conventions could properly now be abandoned in favour of either a more logical or, sometimes, a more casual approach.

daforum
05-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Just a quick question about the April newsletter.

I didn't receive it and I have my "receive newsletter" box ticked on my profile. I did contact Newtek but didn't get a reply.

I'm using LW9.6 as I haven't upgraded to 10 yet, so should this affect if I receive the newsletter each month?

lardbros
05-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Just a quick question about the April newsletter.

I didn't receive it and I have my "receive newsletter" box ticked on my profile. I did contact Newtek but didn't get a reply.

I'm using LW9.6 as I haven't upgraded to 10 yet, so should this affect if I receive the newsletter each month?

I didn't get it either!! I've upgraded to 10, and didn't get it, so it won't be that. They'd be soooo stupid to miss off the people who haven't upgraded... they would be better missing off the people who have upgraded, it's the ones who don't own lightwave who need targeting with the Newsletters.

It was clearly a little mistake, but it annoys me a bit... hope they get this sorted for next month. I just imagine all the people like my boss, who laughs at Lightwave, that need telling how good it can be, but aren't getting the latest news... it's a massive missed opportunity!

Anyway, I've already ranted about this here before, and got no response from Newtek, so won't expect it again!! Ben Vost used to do the letters, and i didn't get them once, and he sorted it out the next month. Maybe there was an unknown techy issue? Would be nice to know what went wrong though!?

daforum
05-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info lardbros. I got a bit worried I'd been left out
(so in an odd way I'm pleased to hear it wasn't just me....sort of!)

I absolutely agree about targeting those who haven't got LightWave, it is great and yet people still laugh at it.... they have no idea the good stuff they're missing.

Yeah, I hope I get the May edition then I will put it down to an April problem.

I won't hold my breath for a response from Newtek about why I didn't get it, so thanks again :)

lardbros
06-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Have I been left off the May newsletter too? Or hasn't there been one this month?

colkai
06-02-2011, 04:35 AM
My notifications are sporadic, but so far, I've not heard anything, could be they is nothing to report. The downside of "regular" newsletters, when there is no news, do you fill it with "bumf" or just not issue one?

SBowie
06-02-2011, 05:20 AM
I have no specific knowledge on the newsletter issue, and for all I know one could arrive at any moment. On the other hand, I do know that the entire marketing dept., en masse, is just now settling into new quarters. After years of working in the same nooks and crannies, this is not a trivial exercise. It wouldn't surprise me personally if an issue slipped in the process.