PDA

View Full Version : Future edits in other countries

macahuna
04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I've got a really nice animation project on the line, but my client has problems that I can't answer. For the sake of brevity, let's say that I have to show arrows flowing through an air conditioner, and the arrows change colors as the temperature changes in the A/C unit. Okay, so I model and animate everything, now what? She's afraid that it has to go online at some point. We're talking about 30-seconds to a minute's worth of animation. I did a quick 10-second test and it weighed in at 220Mb. Her first fear is that it will be too large for the Web. The worst fear is that of the dozens of companies that will be viewing the video, someone will want to edit the damned thing... there. In their country. Naturally, I'd like to do the changes, but evidently some of these people want to have total control. Considering that they might not have LightWave, is there any way they can jump into my LW file and change the color of the arrows, make something disappear, add a trinket? What's the secret to allowing Web access to big video files? Can they be placed in PowerPoint?

(To her credit, everything she's had done in the past has been through Illustrator or Flash, so she's looking at that kind of accessibility.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

That's a lot of questions, but I just don't have a clue how to nail this job down.

jeric_synergy
04-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Anything YouTube can put up, is already ON the web. So I don't think an industrial animation is much of a challenge.

Do you WANT to allow others to edit your stuff, or are you trying to prevent them from editing it?

This is super basic stuff: you might want to get some training materials.

Builtdown
04-30-2011, 10:41 AM
If the animation is done in LW I donīt think itīs possible to alter the animation in any other package.

I hope you get to do the updates (more money for you!) :)

- B

Dexter2999
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
If you create your graphic as an element, then create any text elements as separate pieces with transparency. You can take the finished products and assemble them as Flash animations.
She could make the file available on request where the end country could strip out the text and replace it if they wished.
They will only be able to shorten whatever you give them for the graphic though.

And this is true for sure, if you give them the option of editing it the likelihood of them doing it goes up. In other words more people might try to do it if they think it is an option. So, giving them the option isn't necessarily something I would want to do.

macahuna
04-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the replies! I certainly DON'T want anyone else working on the project, and the client doesn't either. She works for a monster international company with many divisions, though, and I guess everyone gets a say-so.

I guess I'll just have to stick to my guns and tell her that if she wants edits, I can do edits...

The other dilemma about getting things to the end-user is my main concern. I can't do anything about someone wanting to edit the work, but if I can't get the job online or into PowerPoint, I'm hosed. I don't have any good experiences with PP - I'm on a Mac, (with Office 2008) and 80% of the time that I run PP, I end up with a system crash, so I basically ignore the program.

Her company must be run by some really militant IT people - no one will go online to a link from an email, they won't open a CD-ROM, they're not allowed to download FlashPlayer. The way I see it, they might as well use their computers as GameBoys or something!

She's just afraid that if something goes wrong, she's the one holding the skimpy umbrella.

Thanks again for the support.

jeric_synergy
04-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Obviously, anyone who can get hold of the video can edit it. And if it's online, they can get hold of it if they're willing to jump thru enough hoops.

That's the facts of life. OTOH, it's very unlikely anyone will do that, and copyrighted material gives you the option of suing the sh!t out of them.

I think your client is worrying about stuff that's 1) unlikely and 2) not your problem. Supply her with a video, the rest is her problem. Oh, and Powerpoint is a stupid distribution medium. Sell her on something else.

macahuna
05-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Boy, Jeric, I couldn't agree with you more. I just hope I can convince her of the same logic.

Thanks again!