PDA

View Full Version : Trying to read an Excel Spreadsheet through a network with Data link LT2.0

BELLE1RaceComm
04-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi all.. Im using 2 computers for our scoring setup which is networked via a network switch to our TCXD850. PC1 has LT2.0 and PC2 is computing the scores via an excel spreadsheet. I cant seem to figure out how to get PC2's scores into my LT2.0 graphics.. I know about fileobserver but that only works from the same PC that Livetext is loaded on. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Daryl

brians0105
04-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Hi Daryl,

We do something similar. It should be as simple as sharing your Text Input folder on PC1 over the network. On PC2, map that shared folder to a network drive. Have your Excel sheet export text files to that shared folder and your data should be available in LiveText2.

Brian

BELLE1RaceComm
04-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks Brian.. I was able to do that... but i still cant get the fileobserver or datalink to read those text files. I think I'm missing a step somewhere. We have scores that we save as a text which datalink should be able to read through the fileobserver..

Daryl

SBowie
04-29-2011, 03:47 AM
How are your exported files formatted?

joseburgos
04-29-2011, 04:51 AM
And you are overwriting the watch text file, right? As the others have said, this does work so there must be something else missing for it not too.
I'm sure it is something simple and you can get it sorted out quickly.

Take care,

BELLE1RaceComm
04-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi Steve, The files are exported as texttab. I just cant find the link between the both computers. Where should those files be placed..I'm one step away..i know it! : )

Daryl

BELLE1RaceComm
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Wow..I just called Newtek and they say it cant be done?! I was told you have to use the same computer that the LT2.0 is loaded on for it to work..

Jose.. Not sure about that process.. can you elaborate? Thanks for all your help

Daryl

SBowie
04-29-2011, 12:44 PM
The files are exported as texttab. I just cant find the link between the both computers. Where should those files be placed..I'm one step away..i know it!Maybe two steps, Daryl, sorry.

The easier question is, where should the text files go. The answer is pretty simple. There's a folder named TextInput inside the LiveText program folder, specifically at LiveText\Stats Plugin\Text Input. (There is a link to this folder in the LiveText group in the Windows Start menu).

The rest of the matter is that the text file must be formatted like the example file which in that folder - a simple ASCII text file with "key = value" entries on each line, as below:

city = San Antonio
temperature = 98

Nothing more, nothing less. A simple tab delimited export will not work. You will likely need some sort of macro to create this file for you.

Dexter2999
04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/concatenate-HP005209020.aspx

brians0105
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I talked to Daryl today and it sounds like he is doing everything correctly -- but he is having User Access Control issues on his Windows 7 machine that is running LiveText2. He is trying to share the Text Input folder over the network so PC2 can save the text file to that mapped drive. But there is some UAC issue and it is hard to solve without seeing the computer myself. He is already an Administrator on that machine.

Brian

Dexter2999
04-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Wow, Win7 UAC issues with sharing? Shocked...not so much.

Hate, hate, hate Windows 7. Actually, hate pretty much everything Microsoft has done in the last 5-7 years (possibly with the exception of the XBox-360)

akscooter
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I use an excel macro to write a specific set of cells to file every time the workbook changes. That file is written across the network via a share directly to the observer folder.

In Win 7, simply disable the UAC because it's useless. Then activate advanced sharing, and you should be good to go.

Good Luck and take a look at the spreadsheet I posted, it might help out a little.

Thanks,
Jon

cameraman91569
06-02-2011, 07:24 AM
I use an excel macro to write a specific set of cells to file every time the workbook changes. That file is written across the network via a share directly to the observer folder.

In Win 7, simply disable the UAC because it's useless. Then activate advanced sharing, and you should be good to go.

Good Luck and take a look at the spreadsheet I posted, it might help out a little.

Thanks,
Jon

Hey Jon...where did you post a speadsheet to look at???