PDA

View Full Version : LW10 on Linux/Wine

Oleeblood
04-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi Guys !

After hundred of bugs with W7SP1 (more than 350GB lost files), I decided to go back to Ubuntu and work LW10 with Wine. After 10 hours of debugging I was able to run Lightwave10 with dongle !!! :lwicon::jam:
(Thanks to Alexander Morozov's patch)

I will publish all files what you need on the next week... (I want to make some reinstall for testing.)

Details:
Wine: 1.3.18 custom build with Mozorov patch + custom wine config
Lightwave: v10 x32 build 2067
Performance: as Windows XP native :) (better than Win7!)

Bye,
Oleeblood
LikeUs!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oleeblood-Animation/102441302938?ref=ts

Elmar Moelzer
04-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Very cool!
Thanks for sharing!

allabulle
04-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Nice.

I wonder how can I work without the 64bit benefits... or is it working too? Maybe I should check the status of the WINE x64 development.

caesar
04-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Great!!!

parazis
04-29-2011, 02:44 AM
Very interesting, waiting for an update.

OnlineRender
04-29-2011, 03:30 AM
you running virtual box , or direct in linux ? either way nice work !

CaptainMarlowe
04-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Fantastic news ! Looking forward to reading how you did that.

Oleeblood
04-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks !

you running virtual box , or direct in linux ? either way nice work !

It runs directly in Ubuntu linux 10.10 x64 with custom builded wine 32bit version.

Nice.

I wonder how can I work without the 64bit benefits... or is it working too? Maybe I should check the status of the WINE x64 development.

The next step is wine x64, but actually wine x64 is a beta. I think wine 1.4 stable release will be able to run Lightwave 10 x64. But I will make wine 1.3 x64 custom build on the weekend... perhaps I will have lucky again :)

CaptainMarlowe
04-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I sure hope the technics will be transferable to fedora, as I intend to use Fedora instead of Ubuntu in the future...

Elmar Moelzer
04-29-2011, 03:47 PM
What is it you prefer about Fedora over Ubuntu?
I have used both in the past and Ubuntu seemed much more userfriendly and more stable too.

Tonttu
04-29-2011, 05:07 PM
While we are on the off-topic:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/from-ubuntu-to-fedora-landing-on-foreign-soil-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

CaptainMarlowe
04-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Well, it explains much better than I would have why I'd like to try Fedora...

Dracorat
04-29-2011, 10:20 PM
I would be interested in this as long as there's a concise step by step on how to accomplish it.

ianr
04-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Gotta be Good News for Pipelines

Well done,Newtek should give you

Medal! or atleast a sticky box on this forum

DBMiller
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
You got it to work? I tried and tried, with lots of help (there was a post on the Core forum), and still couldn't get it to see the dongle.
Please post your steps!

OnlineRender
04-30-2011, 11:28 AM
You got it to work? I tried and tried, with lots of help (there was a post on the Core forum), and still couldn't get it to see the dongle.
Please post your steps!

I don't know how it's done I seen a long time ago version 9 working but somewhat flaky , from what I gather its a custom wine hack , as for the dongle ,you could emulate it .

its all about the kernels baby !

DBMiller
05-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Hate to ask, but, how do I emulate the dongle?

allabulle
05-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Hate to ask, but, how do I emulate the dongle?

I was wondering that myself.

I couldn't make it work either, and I'd like to try the apparently new method. The emulation of the dongle could be interesting if it works flawlessly. Could you elaborate more on that, please?

OnlineRender
05-01-2011, 07:43 AM
just for reference I dont know how the thread owner has got the dongle to be active , it could be just a matter of running the sentinal drivers and decent usb config with wine .

but for dongle emulation : PS its technicaly ilegal .

http://www.woodmann.com/crackz/Dongles.htm "old article but still holds alot of decent content " even mentions LW

Oleeblood
05-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't know how it's done I seen a long time ago version 9 working but somewhat flaky , from what I gather its a custom wine hack , as for the dongle ,you could emulate it .

its all about the kernels baby !

LW9.6 works fine too without any dongle hack. I'm now working on Ubuntu 11.04 version...

Facts at this moment:
- doesn't work with wine64 (you have to wait for wine 1.4 release :()
- doesn't work on Ubuntu 11.04 (currently under testing)

It only works with Ubuntu 10.10 x64 (x32 not tested) and wine 32bit version. (1.3.18). You can use dongle native... (without emulator, crack etc.) All things is legal !

Oleeblood
05-02-2011, 07:58 AM
LW9.6 works fine too without any dongle hack. I'm now working on Ubuntu 11.04 version...

Facts at this moment:
- doesn't work with wine64 (you have to wait for wine 1.4 release :()
- doesn't work on Ubuntu 11.04 (currently under testing)

It only works with Ubuntu 10.10 x64 (x32 not tested) and wine 32bit version. (1.3.18). You can use dongle native... (without emulator, crack etc.) All things is legal !

ok...... some updates:

1. It works with Ubuntu 11.04 too... :)
2. Works directly with linux sentinel keyserver (licenses are stored on the linux side permanently, so doesn't need install sentinel in wine, can reinstall wine without reregistering LW)
3. patch applied and tested on wine-1.3.19 (32bit)

I'm currently working on documentation and packages.

Bye,
Oleeblood

CaptainMarlowe
05-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Fantastic. I'm glad it runs under 10.10, because I prefer this distribution to 11.04, and it is most certainly the one I will install on my next laptop (if not Fedora). This said, installing LW 10 on it will be more for fun, as it will be a small netbook (with i3 processor, though), more likely to work with lighter apps such as Wings3D when on plane or in the train.

DBMiller
05-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Very, very nice! Thank you!

Oleeblood
05-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi!

You can find utilities & install instruction here: http://lwonlinux.oleeblood.com

Good Luck,
Oleeblood

Elmar Moelzer
05-04-2011, 05:02 PM
You can find utilities & install instruction here: http://lwonlinux.oleeblood.com

Very Cool!
Thanks for sharing!
Not a Linux user myself, but I know of a lot of people that will appreciate that!

BigHache
05-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Thank you! I haven't used Linux lately, but am interested in trying this out.

DBMiller
05-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Thank you! Will give it a try with the new build.

CaptainMarlowe
05-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll give a try this week-end on 10.10

walfridson
05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Awesome!!

DBMiller
05-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Just trying this out and got 2 errors so far. At the point in the instructions where it says:
#> rm ~/.wine ~/wine.bak (backup your previously wine dir)
#> wine regedit -s sentinel_wine32.reg (~/.wine dir generates automatically)
#> cp sntnlusb.sys ~/.wine/driver_c/windows/system32/drivers/,
I get this error:

[email protected]:~$ rm ~/.wine ~/wine.bak
rm: cannot remove `/home/donald/.wine': Is a directory
rm: cannot remove `/home/donald/wine.bak': No such file or directory
[email protected]:~$ wine regedit -s sentinel_wine32.reg
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"mountmgr.sys": libusb-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:winedevice:ServiceMain driver L"MountMgr" failed to load
regedit: File not found "sentinel_wine32.reg" (2)

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong to this point?
Thanks

Oleeblood
05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Just trying this out and got 2 errors so far. At the point in the instructions where it says:
#> rm ~/.wine ~/wine.bak (backup your previously wine dir)
#> wine regedit -s sentinel_wine32.reg (~/.wine dir generates automatically)
#> cp sntnlusb.sys ~/.wine/driver_c/windows/system32/drivers/,
I get this error:

[email protected]:~$ rm ~/.wine ~/wine.bak
rm: cannot remove `/home/donald/.wine': Is a directory
rm: cannot remove `/home/donald/wine.bak': No such file or directory
[email protected]:~$ wine regedit -s sentinel_wine32.reg
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"mountmgr.sys": libusb-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:winedevice:ServiceMain driver L"MountMgr" failed to load
regedit: File not found "sentinel_wine32.reg" (2)

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong to this point?
Thanks

Yep, thanks for feedback !

You don't need this step (sorry): rm -r ~/.wine ~/.wine.bak

You need install libusb-1.0.0 package too...

#> sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0.0

Thank you again, a will correct the how-to now.

DBMiller
05-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Cool, thank you.

AbstractTech3D
05-13-2011, 06:31 AM
What about plugins (esp DP Kit, DP Instance, Poms Nodes) etc…?

Can they be installed also?

Oleeblood
05-15-2011, 12:37 PM
What about plugins (esp DP Kit, DP Instance, Poms Nodes) etc…?

Can they be installed also?

Yes, plugins work fine too.

There is limit the memory. 32bit version can handle only 3,8 GB, but the performance is same as 64bit !

OnlineRender
05-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes, plugins work fine too.

There is limit the memory. 32bit version can handle only 3,8 GB, but the performance is same as 64bit !

Newtek this man deserves a medal for getting it onto Linux platform .

Elmar Moelzer
05-15-2011, 02:28 PM
There is limit the memory. 32bit version can handle only 3,8 GB
Still better than 32 Bit Windows Version, which can only do 2GB per process.

Oleeblood
05-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Hi !

Yes, yes, yes... !!
I have a great news: You can run Lightwave Win64 version with wine64 under Ubuntu Linux 64bit too (with original dongle) !!!! So, there aren't any limits... :)
I will publish the tutorial and packages on this week.

biliousfrog
05-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Still better than 32 Bit Windows Version, which can only do 2GB per process.

Actually, the 32bit version run under Windows 64bit OS can use 4gb.

I'm curious...

1) What were the problems with Win7 in the first place? It is by far the most stable version of Windows I've used even though XP64 was/is pretty solid

2) Why do you feel that XP64 is faster than Win7 64? The only times I've known of that to be the case is when people started fiddling with the memory management features to make it run in the same way as XP...the classic cries of, "Win7 is using all my RAM" spring to mind.

3) What benefits are to be expected over running Windows software via a Windows emulator on Linux rather than just running it through Windows?

I can see the benefit with regards to costs (ie. no MS licences) but not with regards to usability or performance. I am, however, not a Linux user so have no knowledge of how Wine works exactly but it seems like it's massively overcomplicating things just for the sake of it.

...native Linux LW for render nodes on the other hand....:hey:

Elmar Moelzer
05-26-2011, 04:29 AM
Actually, the 32bit version run under Windows 64bit OS can use 4gb.
Yes, I was talking about the 32 Bit Windows version (comparing 32 Bit OS to 32 Bit OS).
Windows 7 is driving me insane. The memory management sucks. We work with very large sets of monolithic data and Windows 7 is doing a good job at having us do workarrounds to make it work. You can not swap part of a 2.5GB dataset. If it does not fit into main memory completely, then we have a problem and catching that is really hard thanks to the memory management in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
The other stuff that is driving me insane are the security features of Windows Vista and 7, which effectively lock me out of my computer and prevent me from deleting data, even when I am a super administrator. Sorry, but it is my computer and I should be the boss and if I want to delete a file, no matter what file it is, I should be damn able to do that.
On Linux, I have a lot more low level access and control. I never thought that I would say that, but with Vista and Windows 7, Linux is starting to look really interesting.
I loved NT 4.0, 2000 and XP64, I hate Vista and Windows 7.

biliousfrog
05-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Yes, I was talking about the 32 Bit Windows version (comparing 32 Bit OS to 32 Bit OS).

Although Wine is 32bit it is being run on 64bit Linux, I'd guess that is why it can access 3.8gb. My understanding is that the 2gb limit is a restriction of 32bit operating systems as a whole so Wine must be somehow working in a similar way to Windows when running 32bit apps on Win64.

allabulle
05-26-2011, 05:06 AM
Hi !

Yes, yes, yes... !!
I have a great news: You can run Lightwave Win64 version with wine64 under Ubuntu Linux 64bit too (with original dongle) !!!! So, there aren't any limits... :)
I will publish the tutorial and packages on this week.

Please do so! I'm dying to try it.

Thanks so much in advance.

Oleeblood
05-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi !

You can find wine64 packages & How to here: htp://lwonlinux.oleeblood.com

Goog Luck,
Oleeblood

allabulle
05-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi !

Goog Luck,
Oleeblood

Thank you so much. Really. I'll try it this very afternoon.

Drocket
05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi !

Goog Luck,
Oleeblood

Thank you, just downloading ubuntu now to give it a go.

allabulle
05-27-2011, 04:11 PM
It works!

I'm using Xubuntu x64 (it's the regular Ubuntu 11.04 but using Xfce as the desktop environment.) I've only tried LightWave 10.1 64-bit build 2121.

It seems to work OK besides a few shortcuts that aren't working. I need to configure my system so it doesn't interfere with LightWave's. But VPR, HyperVoxels, rendering, switching from Layout to Modeler and back... everything fine. I tried to model something simple for a while and nothing went wrong. It saves objects and scenes well too.

So this weekend I'll try to spend some time with it to know if it's ready for production. But so far I'm impressed. Thanks!

Edit: By the way, there's a couple of confusing steps in the how-to pdf that would be useful to correct. I managed to get it right nonetheless but for someone else could make things unnecessarily hard. I'll try to post my suggestions before monday if it's OK.

CaptainMarlowe
05-28-2011, 08:47 AM
I didn't get it to work. I built from source and everything went well until trying to apply this command, and I always get "command not found" error :
sudo ../cp 81-persistent-sentinel.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

then the two next commands don't work either, of course.
I installed Lightwave and it launches well, except it doesn't recognize the dongle...
Very frustrating. I guess I have missed something, but what ?

Drocket
05-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I didn't get it to work. I built from source and everything went well until trying to apply this command, and I always get "command not found" error :

I installed Lightwave and it launches well, except it doesn't recognize the dongle...

I am just going through this myself now and had the same error, I got past it by doing the following:

sudo cp ../81-persistent-sentinel.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

I believe Oleeblood had the ../ in the wrong place and should be ../81 and not ../cp

CaptainMarlowe
05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I'll try that, thanks for the info

Oleeblood
05-28-2011, 01:17 PM

I am just going through this myself now and had the same error, I got past it by doing the following:

sudo cp ../81-persistent-sentinel.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

I believe Oleeblood had the ../ in the wrong place and should be ../81 and not ../cp

Yepp...

Thank you for correction...

The right command is: sudo cp ../81-persistent-sentinel.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

Oleeblood
05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
It works!

I'm using Xubuntu x64 (it's the regular Ubuntu 11.04 but using Xfce as the desktop environment.) I've only tried LightWave 10.1 64-bit build 2121.

It seems to work OK besides a few shortcuts that aren't working. I need to configure my system so it doesn't interfere with LightWave's. But VPR, HyperVoxels, rendering, switching from Layout to Modeler and back... everything fine. I tried to model something simple for a while and nothing went wrong. It saves objects and scenes well too.

So this weekend I'll try to spend some time with it to know if it's ready for production. But so far I'm impressed. Thanks!

Edit: By the way, there's a couple of confusing steps in the how-to pdf that would be useful to correct. I managed to get it right nonetheless but for someone else could make things unnecessarily hard. I'll try to post my suggestions before monday if it's OK.

That's fine. Thank you Allabulle !

CaptainMarlowe
05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Yepp...

Thank you for correction...

The right command is: sudo cp ../81-persistent-sentinel.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

OK, I'll give a shot tomorrow, no it's bed time.
Thanks again !

OnlineRender
06-06-2011, 06:53 AM
if you can get it working in linux , it means you can get it working on a ps3 :)

Cryonic
06-07-2011, 12:09 PM
PS3 is a different CPU architecture from an Intel/AMD computer. It can't run x86 code.

slackv
07-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Hello All, I followed the instructions and it runs great, LW10.0 x64 on Ubuntu 11.04 x64.

One bug though, the color picker dialogues won't display. I've tried resetting the color spaces between linear & rgb, switching between unity & xubuntu, and starting LW from the command line to see if any errors were generated when I click on the color square (to start the color picker).

There weren't any errors when I installed it and I don't have any other Wine apps at this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--D

AbstractTech3D
04-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Is it possible to get Windows versions of LW to run on OSX, using WINE? (for the sake of all those Windows only plugins)