PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

mjroddy
10-03-2003, 11:59 PM
I use to be a decent animator, but I've never been accused of being a modeler - let alone a um... boner.
I've got a little character that is sort of my mascot. I was actually able to model the guy and am pretty happy with the results. Golly, if you take a look you'll have to be really, REALLY impressed (joke). Ok. It's a stick figure. But I'd really like to animate him. So I'm here to ask if anyone would be willing to properly bone him and create any IK necessary. He's a magician like a very dramatic David Coperfield or similar. His name is Sticky the Magician (TM). His girlfriend (yet to be modeled) is Tricky (TM).
I'm an extreme newbie, but need the bloke for a web site I'm creating. I've put up a very simple web page with two pics showing the 3D model in a neutral pose and the original pose (in 2D) that he'll end up in.
If anyone is interested in setting him up for me, I'd be thrilled and heap many good wishes on you! Please contact me privately at [email protected] and/or [email protected]
The web page is at
http://webpages.charter.net/matthewroddy/StickyTemplate.html
Thanks for all consideration! -mjr

toby
10-05-2003, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't bother with bones on a simple model like that, just apply IK to the legs - IK isn't normally used for the upper body anyway.

mjroddy
10-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Man!
The stuff I've forgotten about LW. Pitty. But now I'm back on the road to Understanding.
I guess what I don't understand is how one would animate him without bones. I'd like for him to walk and dance a bit as he performs. Moving the arms about and all that is a no brainer, but keeping all things attached (hands, etc) would be a trick of keyframing without bones, right?
Oops. I should call that a rig, these days, I think.
Anyway, I'd offer a small amount of money to someone who would properly rig him. "Small" being a relative term. Small to a pro, but a lot for a guy like me who's not likely to see a dime from animating him. Still, I'd like to bring him to life in a cool way.
Thanks for the advice. -mjr

toby
10-06-2003, 02:04 PM
you can animate any object, it doesn't have to be a bone, just parent the hand to the arm and the arm to the body, and keyframe the movements - the pivot points for the hand and arm need to be at their base -

toby
10-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Larry Schultz just posted some free rigs here:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/rigs.htm

should give you a great start! he's got tutorials too -

mjroddy
10-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks very much for the link.
Looks like I will, indeed, be on my own to rig the lad.
Thanks again for the reply. -mjr

MarkSr14
10-13-2003, 12:13 PM
You know, I've been working on boning models lately (unfortunately, it's only Lightwave related), and I would be willing to help you out. A rig for Sticky would be relatively easy (you could probably use the same rig for his girlfreind), and I would probably do it in trade for a lunch; although, I'm a little disappointed that you didn't call me on this before posting here. :)