PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Camera problem

MaureenD
04-28-2011, 09:20 AM
I have a scene where I am using the advanced camera to set an object as a camera. The object is set to follow a motion path (curve) for 160 frames.

All looks great in the camera view window. But when I go to render - even just one frame - it renders as if the camera is set at the 0,0 origin does not show anything like what the Layout camera view shows.

I must have overlooked some setting somewhere... but I've looked through every property.

Help!

Sensei
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Object as camera? With geometry?
Rays from camera are probably hitting your object surface, especially if it's double sided..
Try making this object Unseen by Camera and Unseen by Rays in Object Properties, and try again.
Otherwise show us screen-shots, and/or attach scene with objects.

MaureenD
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Ok I got it. The object I was using as the camera was a null - so there was no geometry. Still, I would think this should work.

In any case, I just changed the advanced camera to a perspective one, parented it to the null, and had the null as its target item.

Also in the motion properties for the null I added the "leadthefollower" modifier, and for the camera I added the "following" modifier.

I don't know whether that last step was necessary but I got it working so don't want to mess with it.

The scene is a cityscape and I wanted the camera to fly through between the buildings, so I created a spline path for this in modeler .

It just seemed like it would have been a lot simpler just to make the null be the camera, but whatever.

Cageman
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Well, the concept behind using an object through Advanced camera is to shoot rays from the geometry and a Null is just a single point in space. :)

But happy to hear that you solved the problem. :)