PDA

View Full Version : New user seeks tips on capturing 15 hours of vid.

svbell
10-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey folks!
Just got my first Toaster, what a fabulous toy! The only thing I regret about the Toaster is... I should have bought it long ago. Hehe.

I need a tip here. I have shot some 15 hours of video last week end, and I need to make a final edit out of it. Instead of pressing on the MiniDV deck play - stop - rewind - play - rewind - stop - play, over and over (that ain't a good idea for the deck's video heads), I was thinking of digitizing like an hour of footage (a whole MiniDV tape) in a single clip, and from there extract only what I will need using the render/convert panel in the Capture module, and throw away the original 60 minutes clip.

I have some 136GB of storage available, and the DV quality is more than enough, no need the full uncompressed feature of the VT native format.

Let me know if this is a good idea, if there's something easier, or a tool I don't know that can handle that, whatever.

Thanks chaps!!
-sv

prospector
10-04-2003, 02:34 AM
well ya could just hit the pause button in the VT interface when ya get to video ya don't want, but ya gotta know ahead of time, maby take timecode numbers then watch when they come up.

but ya can do it the 1 hour at a time trick too.

Jim Capillo
10-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Uhhhh..... that's kinda what the batch capture function is for. Just press play, click on your in's and out's as you go along. When you're ready to digitize, just press the batch capture button and you can go get coffee.

svbell
10-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Oh-hoo... The batch capture sounds like an avenue... I had it with my previous hardware, but never got to use it. But I think grabbing the whole thing may be more convenient, as I guess I will take the whole 60 minutes clip and dump it on a DVD-R for backup / archiving. 60 minutes DV format should fit on a 4.7GB.

Thanks ever for the tips, folks!!!
-sv

mgrusin
10-04-2003, 10:28 AM
You can definitely do what you're talking about. Capture your hour of video, edit it in VT-Edit to contain just the shots you think you'll need, render that to a new clip (be sure to render to an actual physical clip, not the "avi wrapper"), and delete the original. Easy.

Also remember that your drives will hold about 13 hours or so of DV (though you'll want to keep some space free for scratch and speed), so you don't have to go too nuts trimming down every shot. (PS: an hour of DV is ca. 12GB, so it won't fit on a DVD-R. Rule #1: video is big.)

However, do give the batch capture a try, since it's built for this sort of thing, and let us know how it goes (I don't currently have a computer-controllable deck in-house (literally :D ), so I haven't had the pleasure).

Have fun! -MG

prospector
10-04-2003, 06:04 PM
me neither, (poor folks) so that's why I said remember.

RomainR
10-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Svbell,

60 minutes of DV takes up about 13gigs, so if you're looking to put that on DVD as data it won't fit but if you burn it as video it will definitely fit.

VDI-Angus
10-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Definitely time for some selective capture - you can't fit 15 hours of DV on 136 GB of disk space - that's just a little over 10 hours.

svbell
10-06-2003, 11:16 AM
I definitely have no plan to stuff 15 hours, but I would go with 60 minutes crunches at a time...
Right now I am editing the trailer of the film, just to put the VT at testing. Nice toy!

sv