PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #118 Nautical Bathroom.

XswampyX
04-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #118 Nautical Bathroom.
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This weeks topic is: Nautical Bathroom!

We've done the kitchen, been through the living room and even glanced into the garage so this week, let's have a look in the bathroom. So it's anything you find in the bathroom, but you get extra points for a nautical themed item. :goodluck:

Time Limit - 60 minutes.
Deadline - Wednesday 4th March 2011, 2200 GMT.

Iain
04-28-2011, 06:12 AM
A bad case of subsidence on a seaside property...........

art
04-28-2011, 06:26 AM
I was hoping to see a pirate (with an eye patch) at a urinal :)

ch.schrul
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi all!

First thing that popped into my mind after reading this weeks topic: a mini aquarium... :D

Modelling: around 60 min
Texturing: 30 min
Rendering: around 6 hours (in fryrender v1.5)

Cheers,
Chris

Rabbitpenny
04-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Simplicity is luxury.
Model 66min
Texture 20min
No time to model the Charmin.

Iain
04-30-2011, 08:58 AM

Cheers,
Chris

Looks nice Chris. I think LW could have reduced your render time by around 5 hours 45 minutes though :D

XswampyX
04-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Looking good so far... Love the fish in the glass. I'm always amazed to see what people come up with.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/SoapChest.jpg

XswampyX
05-01-2011, 07:12 AM
I don't think Captain Hook will be using this.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CutThroatRender2Wired.jpg

XswampyX
05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
And the render....

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CutThroatRender4.jpg

OnlineRender
05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi all!

First thing that popped into my mind after reading this weeks topic: a mini aquarium... :D

Cheers,
Chris

thats sweet ! nice image

RudySchneider
05-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Ahhh...
Complete with a sailor's scrimshaw! VERY NICE, XswampyX!

chco2
05-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Sorry I wasn't able to join in this week again guys, been pretty busy. Now I'm leaving for a ten day trip to Gran Canaria. Promise I will participate when I get back!

Great entries btw! :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
05-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry too, I started with a toilet, but couldn't finish due to too much work on my hands. Hopefully I'll find more time next week.

Nice entries!

ch.schrul
05-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you, Iain! Yepp, I have to agree with you about the rendertimes... I think it's because of the heavy dof. Edit: I had to re-render it: this time it took around 12 minutes in arion and I did the dof in ps (with z-depth).

XswampyX, thank you too! I love your renders! Especially the Captain Hook knife... great work!

Thank you, OnlineRender! :)

MDSPECIFIC
05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Nice work guys!
I come from a short journey today, so this is my last minutes entry. :D

Modeling 45min, texturing/lightning 1hour.

ch.schrul
05-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Nice work guys!
I come from a short journey today, so this is my last minutes entry. :D

Modeling 45min, texturing/lightning 1hour.

Really great work, MDSPECIFIC! Very clean mesh. :thumbsup:

MDSPECIFIC
05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
^ Thanks!
Your fishy glass is good and very amusing. :D

COBRASoft
05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
MDSPECIFIC: nice entry!

ch.schrul
05-04-2011, 04:41 PM
^ Thanks!
Your fishy glass is good and very amusing. :D

Thank you too! :)
I don't think it's very amusing for himself in such a small glass... :D
First I wanted to put the fish in a toilett - but I think he likes the glass more... :D

XswampyX
05-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Well, another week, another challenge gone.

Some nice entries as usual, pity some of the more regular posters couldn't participate, but hey. life (& holidays) are more important.

So....

Iain - Shark attack. So simple yet so good, love the caustics in the render. Were they faked?

ch.schrul - Aquarium. I loved this one! great modeling of the little fish, he looks resigned to his fate.

RabbitPenny - Pot to Pi$$ in. Simple models, but executed perfectly. Not my ideal bathroom, having to wash you face in the same bucket, and I would like a bit more air flow, for certain occasions. :)

MDSPECIFIC - Bow 'n' stern taps. What a great idea, you should sell them on piratebay! Nice clean modeling, and they work as well.

Well on to the winner.....

This week it goes to MDSPECIFIC for the great taps, a great Idea, a great modeling job. It's just great!

Well done everyone. Sorry to ch.schrul you were winning right until the very last minute.

COBRASoft
05-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Congrats MDSPECIFIC, well deserved!

Iain
05-05-2011, 01:07 AM
WEll done MDSPECIFIC!
Terrific entry :thumbsup:

ch.schrul
05-05-2011, 02:51 AM
Great recap, XswampyX! Well done!

Congrats, MDSPECIFIC! I can learn a lot from your efficient modelling skills!

Chris

MDSPECIFIC
05-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Thank you my friends!!!
I didn't expected.

I could done it even better, specially texturing, but I haven't got the time and I wanted to participate!

@XwampyX: Do you prepare another interesting challenge? :D

@Ch.schrul: I'm glad if you can find anything helpful in my work. When I have something curly/organic/twisted to model I always start with disc (8-12 point), then select points>extend>move points>scale points>rotate points>connect points and make 4sided polys. Hit TAB and turn them into subpatches, hit TAB again to return and then repeat all mentioned until I get the shape of my imagined object. Just points, extruding and playing with. :thumbsup:

BigHache
05-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Grats, nice work!

I should have time to participate in the next too. Can't wait!