PDA

View Full Version : ot news green lantern gets $9mill to fix up cg

cresshead
04-27-2011, 04:20 AM
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/green-lantern-gets-9-million-to-fix-special-effects

not going so well eh....

is this a sign of the cut throat pitching business having an effect on quality of cg?

Iain
04-27-2011, 04:28 AM
Hmm didn't this just always look sh!t?
The source (I can think of ten more appealing superheroes and I don't even go in for that genre), the art design, the concept, the trailer-all dull.

Thor looks interesting but this holds no promise for me.

safetyman
04-27-2011, 05:43 AM
I think eventually audiences are going to get tired of all the superhero films and stop going to see them. Then what will Hollywood do?

"Are you going to see Plastic Man?"
"Naw, probably not."
"What about Super Dog?"
"Naw, I'm waiting for Wonder Woman to come out on DVD"

cresshead
04-27-2011, 05:46 AM
i'm quite bored with the comic-to-film-o-matic releases of late...i'd like more new stuff not rehashes of comics or sequels of old films or 'reboots' of old 80's films...

you know...

'NEW'

Titus
04-27-2011, 07:02 AM
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/green-lantern-gets-9-million-to-fix-special-effects

not going so well eh....

is this a sign of the cut throat pitching business having an effect on quality of cg?

There's a saying in the CG biz: You never have time to do things right, but always have time to do it twice.

Portnoy
04-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Well, I do think Hollywood is starting to really overuse comic heros but then I think mainstream Hollywood has really lost it's originality with stories anyway. Hence you see remakes, old tv shows, CG saturated movies, sequels.

That's why I love the advent of Youtube, Vimeo and the like. It gives creative people that have new and original stories an opportunity of getting their work seen.

Dt

stiff paper
04-27-2011, 08:19 AM
It could well be... but, equally, it might have nothing to do with that. This kind of thing did used to happen before FX budgets were so squeezed, and I'd say the most surprising thing about this is that it's being covered in the film press... in the past studios would have wanted to keep this kind of thing completely secret because it would cause bad word of mouth. Of course, they might have announced this because the word of mouth about the film and the effects is already so terrible (I've no idea whether it is) that telling the fans they're fixing up the effects actually works like good press, as in "Look! All fixed! Not crap any more!"

Cryonic
04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Well, I do think Hollywood is starting to really overuse comic heros but then I think mainstream Hollywood has really lost it's originality with stories anyway. Hence you see remakes, old tv shows, CG saturated movies, sequels.

That's why I love the advent of Youtube, Vimeo and the like. It gives creative people that have new and original stories an opportunity of getting their work seen.

Dt

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc... are all Marvel productions now (they have their own movie studio). They are all part of a larger story arc leading to the Avengers movie(s).

Comics are always under a reboot. It's the only way to keep the characters current. If they didn't keep rebooting, then Batman would now be well into his 100s (since he first showed up in comics in the 30s). Superman wouldn't be much younger and most of the cast in the Marvel comics would be dead (for good).

The stuff sells, so they keep making it, heheh.

shrox
04-27-2011, 11:03 AM
...as in "Look! All fixed! Not crap any more!"

Most excellent....

safetyman
04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah, and if it doesn't do well (of even if it does), they just re-boot it again (Spiderman, batman, superman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc.). In a year or two we'll see a reboot of Iron Man probably.

meatycheesyboy
04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah, and if it doesn't do well (of even if it does), they just re-boot it again (Spiderman, batman, superman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc.). In a year or two we'll see a reboot of Iron Man probably.

It's like Cryonic said, comics have to reboot ever so often or else they couldn't keep their core characters and audiences. In movies this is doubly important because you are trying to attract non-comic fans as well. They have to keep Spiderman in his high school/college days for movies because that's what most non-comic fans know about the character. They can't move the character too far away or the audience would be confused.

I'd love to see a movie based on something like Red Son (a comic that envisions Superman as the champion of the Soviet Union in stead of the US) but audiences would be really confused by it because it strays too far away from what the commonly known mythology of the character is.

jeric_synergy
04-27-2011, 04:02 PM
LOVING how the commenters over there seem to think CGI is just a breeze to create. Bloated cheeto-dust covered yobs.

Yeah, like they could have made AVATAR. Like they could have even gotten work on AVATAR.

stiff paper
04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm going to speculate wildly and recklessly here, but I'd bet good money that every single company that worked on the effects for this movie was told that there wasn't a penny more available... really, no, absolutely no more money, that's it, you'll just have to do it for this little... the budget won't allow us to pay you any more. Honestly, would I lie to you? We've only got $25.17 to spend on the cg body replacement. $420,000? No, $25.17. That's it. All the money's gone. Take it or leave it. Well whether you say it can't be good for $25.17 or not doesn't matter. That's all there is. No use complaining.

And then when it turns out to look like crap, suddenly the truth is there's a surprise $9 million available. I mean, where did it come from? Did they find it down the back of the sofa? I'm sure they wouldn't have lied about not having any money.

BlueApple
04-27-2011, 04:56 PM
It says the suit is entirely computer generated. I wonder if that approach made the most sense given what they were initially willing to spend.

Of course, they could simply omit the cg suit and leave the footage as-is, which presumably has him flying around nude on wires. That would likely draw an all-new demographic to the franchise and may turn a profit in the end.

silviotoledo
04-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Are these the same actor as green lantern???????
I can't recognize as the same in both different trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwk6QTpB_o

JeffrySG
04-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Are these the same actor as green lantern???????
I can't recognize as the same in both different trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwk6QTpB_o

That second trailer is an older fan-made trailer. They used the actor from Firefly.

silviotoledo
04-27-2011, 05:52 PM
and about the CG lantern characters? Too good for a fan made film!

Where they from a game or something similar?

Mr Rid
04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
http://www.migrantfilmworker.com/images/CUP_Cheaper-Faster-WMRK.jpg

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118035870

All of Hollywood seems to be still figuring this out, and as a result, the tentpole pattern is now well established:

• A movie demands you've-never-seen-this-before visual effects both for marketing and story;

•Ambitious plans and a short schedule leave little margin for error;

•Inevitable schedule problems trigger urgent meetings among studio execs, vendors and filmmakers to get the project back on track;

•"911" emergency calls go out to almost any vfx shop in the world that can take on some last-minute work;

•Everyone runs a harrowing race to deadline despite all the extra help.

Collapse, rest, repeat.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/harrison-ford-talks-cowboys-aliens
Harrison Ford, - "With the CGI, suddenly there's a thousand enemies instead of six — the army goes off into the horizon. You don't need that," the Cowboys & Aliens star said. "The audience loses its relationship with the threat on the screen. That's something that's consistently happening and it makes these movies like video games and that's a soulless enterprise. It's all kinetics without emotion. I don't have time for that."

Nemoid
04-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Actually i think Hollywood took a wrong path in recent years. Visual FX should serve a solid plot,with well thought characters and the most important thing is emotions that these characters evoke and final message, even hidden one, of the movie.

Visual FX should only help to tell the story better, but shouldn't be the most important thing, as it appears to be now.

Superheroes movies are fun, but even here, there's so much in comics related to characters feelings and mindset that things showed onto some of these movies. This is why some of them failed.
Also, comics actually are not only superheroes, there are graphic novels out there, and a whole load of european comics worth taking into consideration .

I won't say it's easy to transpose a comic into a movie,
because they simply are two different media. Comics make the reader work for the story, while movies imply a more passive attitude from the viewer.

Also, the process of making entire sets in CG and especially suits entirely in CG..... bah it ends to be all fake stuff at least for now and especially if the producers wants that made too fast, no time to make fx really believable in this way. Plus, usually they base vfx always onto similar things: explosions, buildings crash, vehicles chases with crash and explosions, time paced action ...too many times they fall in sterotypical things we've seen over and over and over. boring.

Finally: there aren't only fantastic movies out there, and hollywood should be a tad more anchored onto reality, Also,take inspiration not only from superhero comics if they want to make comic based movies. There's an entire world out there: mangas, manwas, european comics, showing off totally different stories, and , of course there are good screenplayers and novelist writing brand new stories to be adapted...:D

So what i wanna see more is story story story more interesting plots, more interesting characters. feelings. Not a whole load of explosions.

Iain
04-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Monsters is a good example of a character driven movie with VFX as a supplement rather than the main feature. Made on a shoestring too.

BigHache
04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Monsters is a good example of a character driven movie with VFX as a supplement rather than the main feature. Made on a shoestring too.

Thanks for the reminder. I watched the interview with that director on FXGuide and this movie is on my list.

Hominid 3D
04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I watched the interview with that director on FXGuide and this movie is on my list.

Certainly an interesting case study of low budget film making, but not a good movie by any means.

Iain
04-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Certainly an interesting case study of low budget film making, but not a good movie by any means.

By any means? It was well written, acted and photographed. I suppose that's an individual opinion but a lot of people would disagree with yours (including Empire magazine and most other reviewers I read.)

JeffrySG
04-29-2011, 02:45 PM

I'll have to check it out. Netflix has it on instant watch too for anyone that has Netflix....

Titus
04-29-2011, 06:41 PM
By any means? It was well written, acted and photographed. I suppose that's an individual opinion but a lot of people would disagree with yours (including Empire magazine and most other reviewers I read.)

A quick poll here in the office throws a split opinion about Monsters.

oliversimonnet
04-29-2011, 07:27 PM
$9Mill!!! woah. does that mean the artists working on it get a load more money? hehe

Wow, that "porter" dude in the comments is a bit of a moron.
Give him a free trial of LightWave and see what he can do

This looks terrible...as did Avatar (which was). Awfulness didn't stop it making a buck or two and greenlighting 2 bloody sequels. Cinema-going folk can get over p**s poor SFX (come on, you know I'm right. Blue-frickin'-cat-thingys? My kid could doodle that in her potty and it'd look more realistic) if the story's good enough. Hang on. Scratch that. Avatar's plot sucked my plums too. So...terrible SFX, rotten storyline...Green's the new Blue. Gonna make a fortune! If nothing else, it gives us all something to moan about for the rest of the year....

realgray
04-29-2011, 08:04 PM
@MrRid Great quote by Harrison Ford. Thanks for that.

COBRASoft
04-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Dragonball Z, now that was a disaster movie IMO!

I kinda like the Marvel comics to cinema conversion. But I wouldn't mind if it would be completely CG. Most actors don't have a good feeling with their characters anymore, they just 'play' the next role in another movie... We miss good character actors like Jack Nicholson.

Traveler
04-30-2011, 07:20 AM
@MrRid Great quote by Harrison Ford. Thanks for that.

Agreed. And same for Titus' quote on p1.

Iain
04-30-2011, 08:56 AM
A quick poll here in the office throws a split opinion about Monsters.

I think that might be different from stating that it is not good by any means, no?
Also, CG artists are probably more critical of a project like this. The layman would never know any difference and I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle. I could never think "Transformers was bad but the CG saved it". It just sucked.

jeric_synergy
04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
I think that might be different from stating that it is not good by any means, no?
Dude, it's totally subjective, allright?

Wow, that "porter" dude in the comments is a bit of a moron.
Give him a free trial of LightWave and see what he can do
His photo is next to the entry for 'wanker' in the dictionary.

ChrisBasken
04-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Green Lantern hasn't come and gone already? I swear I've been seeing ads for this movie for a year now.

BigHache
04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Green Lantern hasn't come and gone already? I swear I've been seeing ads for this movie for a year now.

Marvel released an animated Green Lantern movie last year? Maybe you caught some of that marketing. I actually enjoyed the animated version and can do without the live action.

Iain
05-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Dude, it's totally subjective, allright?

No, dude, not totally.
A 'quick poll throwing up a split opinion' could be taken as subjective but stating in response to a positive endorsement that something is "not good by any means," without mentioning or even inferring that this is a subjective opinion or including any reasoning behind the statement of fact, is surely completely different.

(You'll note the surely which is included to give my post a subjective bias.:hey:)

jeric_synergy
05-01-2011, 10:56 AM
::yawn::

Hominid 3D
05-01-2011, 02:49 PM
No, dude, not totally.
A 'quick poll throwing up a split opinion' could be taken as subjective but stating in response to a positive endorsement that something is "not good by any means," without mentioning or even inferring that this is a subjective opinion or including any reasoning behind the statement of fact, is surely completely different.

(You'll note the surely which is included to give my post a subjective bias.:hey:)

Ok, I forgot to add "IMHO" at the end. Better now?

:D

Iain
05-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Ok, I forgot to add "IMHO" at the end. Better now?

:D

Yep, thanks :thumbsup:

silviotoledo
05-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I think the cloth is not convincing because it looks like from another planet and also looks like it was done in CG :).

So, just get 9 millions and do the old rubber cloth again :) it looks more real and people will like more :).

We want a good story, not too much visual effects with what we don't get identified.

Silvio Toledo

Mr Rid
05-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Personally, I could care less about the quality of the FX in a popcorn movie as long as it is imaginative and fun. Flawlessly convincing FX are meaningless in themselves. As Mr Ford observed, in striving to constantly dazzle and outdo, pixels are too often used to contrive and exaggerate to a degree that is too removed from relatable human experience to engage viewers at a meaningful, emotional level. Less is more.