PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave into VRay

rcallicotte
04-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Not to put down the rendering possibilities in CORE or even LW10, but I asked Chaos Group about a possible integration path for VRay with Lightwave. Here was the answer -

Hello Rob,

We are still investigating the possibility to integrate V-Ray into Lightwave but the final decision has not been taken yet, so your request is definitely good to know.
Let us know if you have any additional questions.
Best regards,
Zornitsa(Zori) Simeonova
Technical Support Representative
Technical Support

tel: +359 2 422 422 1
tel: +359 2 489 44 86
fax: +1 818 4751567
www.chaosgroup.com

geo_n
04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
They didn't do it for c4d so I doubt they would do it for lw.
I think kray would be a better choice for the price and maturity of the sotware integration with lw.
But its a shame, vray has fast and beautiful quality for both stills and animation.

archijam
04-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Dont hold your breath. I think this has become a standard reply. Most of the other apps that have vray were devrloped by a 3rd party, such as asgvis.

This has it's own problems, I use VRay for rhino, but it is not feature complete. No proxies (render instances) or per object/material gi switches...

Crashes on large scenes with trans mapped objects. So .. I bring my objects from rhino to lightwave ;) ..

There is, however a standalone VRay renderer, Its meant to have larger scene magement.. perhaps that would be 'easier' to connect to (when you hear about VRay for blender, this is actually using the standalone version.)

rcallicotte
04-26-2011, 09:49 AM
My hope is Chaos does something and makes Lightwave a whole target. We could use this without any doubt - VRay is the best renderer anywhere, I believe.

archijam
04-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Well, chaosgroup bought ASGVIS last month, so who knows, could mean new directions.

For us it more likely means VRay just got more expensive : /

(Lab license of VRay for Max is 50% More expensive that that for Rhino)

Netvudu
04-26-2011, 10:42 AM
We could use this without any doubt - VRay is the best renderer anywhere, I believe.

Thatīs so far from the truth I donīt know where to start. VRay is a nice render engine. It has some cool options and a nice output. It has some weaknesses as any other render engine.
Itīs cool for houses and cars...and some other stuff. Itīs not flexible. Itīs not production-friendly, excepting for stuff tat has been tried many times before.

Yup. Youīd guessed it. I donīt like it at all. I know thereīs some people around that likes it, such as Intuition. Iīm sure they have very good reasons for it. I donīt.

rcallicotte
04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks Net. I knew as soon as I said "the best" disagreement was an option. :D

But, all I'm going on is having looked at the results for a few years. I have not used it, but maybe there's a way it wouldn't be such a pain by the time Chaos set it up for Lightwave. I can hope.

Actually, i remember the days of yore when the Lightwave renders were (in my estimation) the best thing alive. LW still has a pretty good render engine. Maybe CORE will be improved and I won't need this wishlist of a third-party renderer.

Thatīs so far from the truth I donīt know where to start. VRay is a nice render engine. It has some cool options and a nice output. It has some weaknesses as any other render engine.
Itīs cool for houses and cars...and some other stuff. Itīs not flexible. Itīs not production-friendly, excepting for stuff tat has been tried many times before.

Yup. Youīd guessed it. I donīt like it at all. I know thereīs some people around that likes it, such as Intuition. Iīm sure they have very good reasons for it. I donīt.

Paul_Boland
04-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Caligari's TrueSpace got VRay shortly before the company was bought out by Microsoft. I was very impressed with its speed and quality so I'd like to see VRay come to Lightwave.

archijam
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Do you have KRay? It's a very strong engine. It's weak areas have become smaller and smaller with the last releases, and any small ones left are lightwaves, ie. micro displacement etc.

Don't just trust the gallery, there is of course not the userbase from which to select that vray has .. but do check out specific users, such as Paolo's work (all KRay).

http://www.engram.it/

geo_n
04-26-2011, 01:16 PM
"the best"

You're not mistaken, atleast in current times. Arnold could surpass it. But until I see other types of renders from Arnold we'll be using vray for npr, stylized, photoreal, etc. :thumbsup:

Just look at the quality, its on another level.

http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84197

http://www.pandm-studio.com/exteriors2.html
johnyquick pointed me to this site :D

http://www.motyw.info/en/pokaz/id/4

and digital domain uses it. :D

might be unknown to most.
This company is a heavy vray based studio. They are hiring.
http://www.shirogumi.com/game01

But this discussion has been done before and lw users will not accept it. They don't want vray for lw :D
The best option for lw users doing stills is kray. And kray is moving to other 3D platform btw possibly with kray 3.0. What you learn in kray lw will be useable in other kray versions :thumbsup:

rcallicotte
04-26-2011, 05:48 PM
@geo - I see the beauty. VRay seems more versatile than I thought and why I like it - the lighting so often looks real (beautiful).

@archijam - Funny you should mention not paying attention to the gallery for KRay. That is what I was basing my knowledge upon. So this other gallery you showed here is very nice. Thanks. Much different than I had seen.

silviotoledo
04-27-2011, 03:32 PM
the best is to wait for V ray stand alone, wich have been promissed but it seems never done. It will work like maxwell, octane and others. Working alone.

I doubt V Ray will be available for lightwave. I had hear a story where v ray was originary created for lightwave but NT refused to give attention, so it explains why V ray is available for all the others except lightwave.

But once lightwave is coming back to the game, the marketing depart from V ray did not " decided " yet. Maybe they're looking for lightwave sales grown 1st.

On the other hand we have K ray for lightwave wich is sometimes so good as V ray, sometimes better, but V ray is more robust.

It seems NT doesn't look with love to K Ray too and K ray will be ported to other softwares soon, I guess, but K ray is so more realistic than native lw rendering, specially for interiors and a good decision woul be to include it on LW 10.X.

www.kraytracing.com

archijam
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
the best is to wait for V ray stand alone, wich have been promissed but it seems never done. It will work like maxwell, octane and others. Working alone.

It does exist, but only for those who have a dongle (so you need a vray license). This is realistic for a medium sized company, with several apps, but otherwise we will indeed have to wait.

http://shop.vray.info/rendering-engines/v-ray-standalone.html

Edit:

What I find quite sarcastic from ChaosGroup, is that the blender solution exists and works, but they have simply not released it.

This page has been up for some time:

http://www.vray.com/vray_for_blender/

Waiting for enough interested people to sign up? maybe. But the work is already done (for free, by blender community members) .. They probably realise that typical blender users will not pay 1000 USD for a plugin for 0 USD software.

And they're probably right ;)

BERSEKAEL
02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
We need VRay for LW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........

moussepipi2000
02-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Im sure theguy of this link

http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84197

can make the same with kray or maybe modo.

Lightwave weakness is the Gi. its difficult to eliminate splotch with correct render time.

But the guy know how to model / texture. Its not a simple Vray shader that will make a render like that. All is UVmap with imperfections. dust etc etc. Its Big work. not the Vray work.

Netvudu
02-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Iīm testing LW 11 and the new sampling does improve a lot GI. I tried a sequence with animated objects with uncached GI and I couldnīt see splotches at all...big time!

The Dommo
02-17-2012, 10:49 AM
@Netvudu - that's great news!

rcallicotte
02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Great news, Netvudu. I'm interested in trying it myself.

Netvudu
02-17-2012, 01:02 PM
I have to test more. I hope it wasnīt me just being lucky, but I would swear the same scene had moving splotches around in LW10

abdelkarim
02-17-2012, 05:22 PM
and i think its pretty fast then lw 9.6 uncached Gi also in 10.1 . 11 nice and Great.

For me Kray Still Best Then Vray. we havnt materiel like vray ex.. we have our eyes to do each surface u like it and all best for nt to creat lightwave with simple and easy surface editor . i hope Kray 3 stay only For Lw . :D . if mindberries went to creat it like standalone its Good .But not good as lw . with Lw will be awesome KRay 3. Hope G. T . do Update To 3.0 in this month plz :D .

Matt
02-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Wonder how much effort it would be to just do this ourselves like the C4D and Blender folks did, I mean the LW Community, not NewTek.

Matt
02-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Oh and Netvudu is right, Unified Sampling in LW11 has make GI flickering much less apparent, it also now uses a fixed GI pattern between frames, which also helps.

Some of the Bullet tests we were doing were Interpolated GI, no caching, and there was little or no flickering. Of course, this will be scene dependent, I'm not saying it's 100% zero flicker all the time! But much better than previous versions.

moussepipi2000
02-18-2012, 07:43 AM
good to know matt. i thought unified sampling was only aa related.

Surrealist.
02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Has anyone tested this on deformed objects? Would be a nice plus if it can be used for characters.

Andy Meyer
02-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Wonder how much effort it would be to just do this ourselves like the C4D and Blender folks did, I mean the LW Community, not NewTek.

+1
vRay is an important selling point imho. C4D gains market share for archviz in europe since there is vRay for C4D. NT should be really interested in a vRay plugin, side by side with their own great render engine!

lardbros
02-19-2012, 09:03 AM

There are loads of great programmers in this community!! (obviously I'm not included in that list) I'm sure it'd be a great project for them! :D It would be a great asset to bring VRay the users!! No chance of Newtek having a little peek? :D

Pavlov
02-19-2012, 02:40 PM
A (good) coder said he wrote ChaosGroup but they answered they are not nterested in allowing 3rd part developers to port Vray to Lw.
This could mean they are doing it, they are not interested at all, or Autodesk is paying them to avoid this since Lw+Vray would be a serious contender for Max in viz arena.
If someone can learn more writing them, please do - personally, after such an arrogant and unfriendly answer, i'd just mail bomb them ;)

Paolo

lardbros
02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Hmmmm, sounds like they unfortunately have similar opinions of Lightwave as a lot of other people. I could be wrong though.

Even if they aren't interested, it surely doesn't mean that they won't let someone have the SDK etc in order to make it possible?!

Pavlov
02-19-2012, 03:51 PM
It's same thing i wonder. Or maybe SDK is not public ? Who knows. The only thing i know is that this issue is several years old and absolutely nothing happened, but the brave and isolated inquiries of some.

Paolo

lardbros
02-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Oh, that's a shame... maybe it'll be worth pestering the VRay guys again? Maybe I'll have a chat at Siggraph and see what they say? They've always been really friendly in the past. (Not surprising really, at a sales type venue... but nice to chat to friendly people) :)