PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on a new video card?

virtualcomposer
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey everyone. I got the Mac Pro and it was messed up so I sent it back. I've decided to go with a 2.26 8-core Mac Pro from 2009. Anyway, it comes with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB GDDR3 memory but I've heard it's pretty cheap. I was wondering what you guys recommend for a good video card around $200 or so. Thanks.

Dexter2999
04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
for that price you are looking at a Geforce GTX465.
For another $50 ($250) you can get a GTX470.

virtualcomposer
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
for that price you are looking at a Geforce GTX465.
For another $50 ($250) you can get a GTX470.

what would be the difference in speed and quality?

Dexter2999
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Check out this thread, it has a link to a benchmark site.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118840

Also check out Tekzilla podcasts. They just recently (last month or so) went over this range of video cards.

virtualcomposer
04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
thanks for the thread. So, from my understanding on a Mac Pro 2.26 8-core 2009 machine, a GTX 560 Ti SOC would be a really good choice?
I definitely want a nice one for sure.

virtualcomposer
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Will this easily fit on a Mac Pro 2009 model? I've never replaced a video card in a Mac Pro.

Dexter2999
04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm no Mac guy, but the last time I looked Mac Pro was 100% PCIe slots (to my dismay). So as long as the card is PCIe you should have no issues. Probably want to ask a real Mac user though.

cgisoul
04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
thanks for the thread. So, from my understanding on a Mac Pro 2.26 8-core 2009 machine, a GTX 560 Ti SOC would be a really good choice?
I definitely want a nice one for sure.

I am not a Mac Man, so my comment will apply for a PC platform.
I am using one now and can't complaint at all. This card is the best you get for the price and power. It matches side by side with the GTX 570.
However, there are lots of brands out there and after 2 weeks of extensive search/research, GIGABYTE GTX 560 Ti SOC was the one I bought.
By the way, to save you all the research time (in which I did already before I got mine), GIGABYTE manufacturer is the best out there and their gtx 560 ti soc is the only one out from the box already soc without any further tweaking with the guru software that comes with it. Of course you can further tweak it, but that also means further power consumption and for the mere extra mhz is not worth the ahssle.
Make sure if you do get this card, do not get it from any other manufacturer. Get the one from GIGABYTE. No, I don't work for them in case you have any doubts.

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-01-26/197a.jpg

Among all manufacturers of gtx 560 Ti, Gigabyte is #1 for power, quality and price. Look around the internet and you will soon know that I'm right.

Above that, I would only go with the gtx 580 Palit 3 GB, but that's double price.
Look at my spec from my signature.

virtualcomposer
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I am not a Mac Man, so my comment will apply for a PC platform.
I am using one now and can't complaint at all. This card is the best you get for the price and power. It matches side by side with the GTX 570.
However, there are lots of brands out there and after 2 weeks of extensive search/research, GIGABYTE GTX 560 Ti SOC was the one I bought.
By the way, to save you all the research time (in which I did already before I got mine), GIGABYTE manufacturer is the best out there and their gtx 560 ti soc is the only one out from the box already soc without any further tweaking with the guru software that comes with it. Of course you can further tweak it, but that also means further power consumption and for the mere extra mhz is not worth the ahssle.
Make sure if you do get this card, do not get it from any other manufacturer. Get the one from GIGABYTE. No, I don't work for them in case you have any doubts.

Among all manufacturers of gtx 560 Ti, Gigabyte is #1 for power, quality and price. Look around the internet and you will soon know that I'm right.

Above that, I would only go with the gtx 580 Palit 3 GB, but that's double price.
Look at my spec from my signature.

I think you're right. The card that came with the Mac Pro in general really sucks. The Benchmark was at 300 something. I think i would have a hard time playing Mindsweeper with that NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 card trying to keep up. I'm getting the one you recommended for sure.

cgisoul
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I think you're right. The card that came with the Mac Pro in general really sucks. The Benchmark was at 300 something. I think i would have a hard time playing Mindsweeper with that NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 card trying to keep up. I'm getting the one you recommended for sure.

Don't let the design (looks) puts you off. Many have talked and compared about the look of this card. But ask yourself 1 question, are you buying a graphics card to showcase every visitor that comes to your house or you want it for work? :D

You really can't go wrong. However, if you can afford more, then gtx 580 is certainly the one to get, but is double the price. If you don't want to spend that much for the extra 500 MB, gigabyte is the ONLY 1 to get for power, quality and price.

Glad I can help m8.

virtualcomposer
04-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Don't let the design (looks) puts you off. Many have talked and compared about the look of this card. But ask yourself 1 question, are you buying a graphics card to showcase every visitor that comes to your house or you want it for work? :D

You really can't go wrong. However, if you can afford more, then gtx 580 is certainly the one to get, but is double the price. If you don't want to spend that much for the extra 500 MB, gigabyte is the ONLY 1 to get for power, quality and price.

Glad I can help m8.

I agree. It's my business I'm running and if this card is going to make a difference in everything I do, the I'm getting it. I think $240 is in my budget. I was wondering, when you said buy from the manufacture, did you mean I'm best buying it retail from their site or could I purchase it anywhere as long as it was the gigabyte brand?

cgisoul
04-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Sorry what I meant was to buy the gigabyte brand manufacturer. As long any computer shop sells it, grab it! :)

virtualcomposer
04-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Sorry what I meant was to buy the gigabyte brand manufacturer. As long any computer shop sells it, grab it! :)

oh ok. That's good. I wouldn't want to buy retail for certain. :thumbsup:

cgisoul
04-27-2011, 01:33 AM
Whatever you see this big box at any computer shop, grab it with your life! hehe

MentalFish
04-27-2011, 06:27 AM
You can't plonk any regular gfx card into a Mac, as there are no drivers for them. If you are tech savvy you might be able to do some "flashing" of this and that to make it work.
http://www.mactalk.com.au/10/74719-flashing-pc-graphics-cards-mac-pro.html
...and even then, it needs to be a "Mac Compatible" version of a PC card, as in a card that has the same GPU that has been used in a similar Mac card and as such has been made a driver for.

This is the main sucky part of using a Mac Pro (unless you just run Windows on it via bootcamp).

Only safe bet is to choose from these:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays?n=graphic_cards&mco=MTM3ODkxMDQ&s=topSellers

I recently got the Radeon 5770 for my 2008 Mac Pro and it was quite a good upgrade from the Nvidia 8800GT card it came with. I don't think there are many apps that utilize the benefits of a Quadro card, so I steered clear of it.

Elmar Moelzer
04-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Avoid the 465! It is slower than a 460, much hotter, much louder and takes more power. Rather try to get a 560, if you can get one for the money, you are looking to spend.
You can get a 560 for 190 Euros here. That means you should be able to get it for roughly the same in USD over there, maybe add 10 USD, or so.

The 460 is a good deal though, in any case.
Generally the 460 and the 560 are the best cards in terms of price/performance right now. They are also not very hot and use less power than the higher end cards. This means less issues with power supplies, fans, etc. Generally they make for a more stable system config.

If you plan on using some CUDA software like Octane, then rather invest money into more on board RAM than the next higher class of GPU. There are good offers for that.
The on board RAM will limit you more than those 20% GPU- performance (unless you go for the very high end cards like the 480 and 580).
A dual 460 system is probably also more useful for Octane than a single 480.

MentalFish
04-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Avoid the 465! It is slower than a 460, much hotter, much louder and takes more power. Rather try to get a 560, if you can get one for the money, you are looking to spend.

Still, if it is to be used in OSX then its a no go. Booting into Windows instead it should be fine.

Markc
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Hey everyone. I got the Mac Pro and it was messed up so I sent it back. I've decided to go with a 2.26 8-core Mac Pro from 2009. Anyway, it comes with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB GDDR3 memory but I've heard it's pretty cheap. I was wondering what you guys recommend for a good video card around $200 or so. Thanks.
What exactly do you mean, when you say it was messed up?
Had it been tossed around by the mail man?

Pixelight
04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Interesting thread, because I was thinking about starting a thread about graphics cards since a search on the forums didn't turn up anything about my particular card. I have a geforce gt430 installed on my AMD 6 core machine. Is this card considered a good performer for LW and 3D work?
I ask because sometimes I have the impression it's kinda slow for somethings.

virtualcomposer
04-27-2011, 03:57 PM
What exactly do you mean, when you say it was messed up?
Had it been tossed around by the mail man?

no, it would turn off as though I had shut it down but I didn't. Either I have a ghost in the house or something was wrong with it. Ended up sending it back to Apple to be "re-refurbished". LOL

virtualcomposer
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
You can't plonk any regular gfx card into a Mac, as there are no drivers for them. If you are tech savvy you might be able to do some "flashing" of this and that to make it work.
...and even then, it needs to be a "Mac Compatible" version of a PC card, as in a card that has the same GPU that has been used in a similar Mac card and as such has been made a driver for.

This is the main sucky part of using a Mac Pro (unless you just run Windows on it via bootcamp).

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays?n=graphic_cards&mco=MTM3ODkxMDQ&s=topSellers

I recently got the Radeon 5770 for my 2008 Mac Pro and it was quite a good upgrade from the Nvidia 8800GT card it came with. I don't think there are many apps that utilize the benefits of a Quadro card, so I steered clear of it.

So you're saying the GTX 570 is not Mac compatible?

virtualcomposer
04-27-2011, 04:02 PM

but the 5770 rates only half the speed as the GTX 570 and it's the same price as the GTX 570 as well. What I would really like to do is get the GTX 570 if it's Mac compatible.

Elmar Moelzer
04-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Is this card considered a good performer for LW and 3D work?
It is about the same level as Geforce 9600 is, performance wise, but it does support DirectX11. I would not call it a good performer for todays standards, but the laptop I am working on right now has about the same performance, while not supporting DirectX11.
If you have the budget upgrade to a 460.

virtualcomposer
04-27-2011, 05:35 PM
It is about the same level as Geforce 9600 is, performance wise, but it does support DirectX11. I would not call it a good performer for todays standards, but the laptop I am working on right now has about the same performance, while not supporting DirectX11.
If you have the budget upgrade to a 460.

so I can't get the gtx560 which is what I want. This won't work?

Elmar Moelzer
04-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Of course you can ;) The 460 is just the cheapest option that it makes sense to update to. Anything less wont gain you much for the hassle.

MentalFish
04-28-2011, 01:19 AM
but the 5770 rates only half the speed as the GTX 570 and it's the same price as the GTX 570 as well. What I would really like to do is get the GTX 570 if it's Mac compatible.

Check out this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9054

virtualcomposer
04-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Check out this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9054

Well that's a bit on the downer side. Ok, has anyone had a great video card that works with a 2009 or 2010 PCIe input? Like knows it works? I'm even open to something less expensive. Anything is better then the standard 120 that's in there.

MentalFish
04-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Lots of people flashing regular PC 5770 and 5870 cards to use on Mac, but based on the feedback it seems like more trouble than fun: http://netkas.org/?p=503

The only safe bet is to go for what Apple offers http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays?n=graphic_cards&mco=MTM3ODkxMDQ&s=topSellers , or choose to run Windows on your Mac Pro and run any graphics card you want (but don't take my word for it, I have never tried).

cgisoul
04-28-2011, 03:41 AM
virtualcomposer,

Do yourself a favor. Dish your Mac and get a PC. Problem solved! :D :)

MentalFish
04-28-2011, 04:22 AM
In terms of bang for the buck, most often the Mac Pro can't be beaten apart from the annoying limitation in graphics card choice. Check out this similar configured Dell, 2.66 GHz 12 core base config similar to the base 12 core Mac Pro (http://store.apple.com/us/configure/Z0M4?mco=MTg2OTQ5OTk), ends up about 650$ more expensive than the Mac. Even my anti Mac friend who is using Softimage and Houdini in a Windows + Linux environment finds the Mac Pro to be such a good deal that it is his main workstation. No need to ditch the Mac yet :thumbsup: unless games are more important than work :D

virtualcomposer
04-28-2011, 05:01 AM
virtualcomposer,

Do yourself a favor. Dish your Mac and get a PC. Problem solved! :D :)

not in a million years!!:D

virtualcomposer
04-28-2011, 05:04 AM
In terms of bang for the buck, most often the Mac Pro can't be beaten apart from the annoying limitation in graphics card choice. Check out this similar configured Dell, 2.66 GHz 12 core base config similar to the base 12 core Mac Pro (http://store.apple.com/us/configure/Z0M4?mco=MTg2OTQ5OTk), ends up about 650$ more expensive than the Mac. Even my anti Mac friend who is using Softimage and Houdini in a Windows + Linux environment finds the Mac Pro to be such a good deal that it is his main workstation. No need to ditch the Mac yet :thumbsup: unless games are more important than work :D

I would never go to PC. For one thing, all of my software is based on Mac and I just plain can't stand working on a PC. :cursin:

MentalFish
04-28-2011, 05:09 AM
I would never go to PC. For one thing, all of my software is based on Mac and I just plain can't stand working on a PC. :cursin:

If that's the case, then I suggest you either buy one of the cards from the Apple store, or you wait and see what comes out at next Mac Pro update. You wont experience that much of a difference in LightWave anyway with a new graphics card.

I got the ATI 5770 as an upgrade form Nv8800GT and in some aspects it was faster by 2-3 times, in other places it was slower and in LightWave I couldn't detect much of a difference when rotating meshes in Modeler or flying around in Layout.

cgisoul
04-28-2011, 05:16 AM
You only want to get a very good GPU card if you work with heavy meshes in viewports. Otherwise, it makes no sense to cash heavy money into an high end card like Quadros.
I would take MentalFish advise and wait for the Mac Pro if time is not an issue.

virtualcomposer
05-07-2011, 02:48 AM
I've got the ATI Radeon HD 5770. Would you say that's pretty good?

MentalFish
05-07-2011, 04:48 AM
I've got the ATI Radeon HD 5770. Would you say that's pretty good?

Compared to my Nvidia 8800GT it was a good improvement, not sure how much it improved the OpenGL performance in LW though. StarCraft 2 is running much better :)

Serling
05-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm a Quadro FX guy myself...I use the Quadro FX 1800 and have no complaints with it. Not a gamer card, but handles large models and other graphics-intensive applications very well.