PDA

View Full Version : When will 9.6 Mac 64bit go to a release?

lwanmtr
04-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I am still using 9.6 on my Mac and am wondering when we will have permanant license numbers for it? I am really tired of having to call newtek every couple months to get a new one just so I can use 64bit..specially given the lack of any updates to 9.6.1 for a long time.

hdace
04-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Chuck posted twice in the last couple of days in the beta forum and refused to give any information. Version 10 has all the same bugs as 9.6.1, which indicates to me that they're only working on Core. I don't think they're doing any serious work on Layout/Modeler or the bugs would be evaporating.

I do lots of different types of work and I'm constantly switching between 6 different versions of Lightwave, PC/Mac, 9.6, 9.6.1, & 10, depending on which bug is hampering my efforts. I don't believe for one minute that 10.1 will be much better. Given the lack of progress on 10 compared to 9.6.1, 10.1 should really be called 9.7.1.

I'm worried this company is going to die. Have you ever heard the phrase, "All discounts are permanent"? NT will never be able to raise LW's price back up, all their development is on Core, and it'll never get finished because they're going to run out of money.

lwanmtr
04-25-2011, 02:58 PM
For the most part, 9.6.1 works for me..havent tried 10..but Im more interested in getting my permanant license, rather than the beta license every couple months

Iaian7
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
LWanmtr - It seems to me that Lightwave 10 is just as buggy as the old 9.6, just in different ways. Insanely frustrating, and there hasn't been an update in over 4 months now ("latest release" was back in December 2010). Oh, and the UI is unreadable in far too many cases. Granted, running in 64bit also lets you load up to 20 million polygons in a scene (given large amounts of RAM of course), which is great...but any more than 20 million, and it completely crashes again. So your mileage may vary; it's a small window of usability.

HDace - I tend to be pretty pessimistic, but my relationship with Lightwave has its good days as well as the bad. Unfortunately, today is bad. Very bad. I've been dealing with constant, pervasive, chronic bugs for...well...years, and given the recent limitations I'm beating my head against, I'm shopping for a new 3D solution. Yet again. Then I check prices, and discover Houdini Master (no other version even includes particles?!?) is $6,700 + $2,500 annual upgrades. Looks like right now is a very bad time to be an artist! :D Any ideas?