PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX for Hair

cgisoul
04-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Hello there,

I am doing some research / learning at the same time, what is the best approach for a more realistic Hair in Lightwave. I've seen some really great FiberFX results in youtube and I would like to know what is your recommendation or if there are any other tools better for the job?

The purpose is for still images, so no animation here.

Approaches:
Polygon Hair?
Sasquatch?
FiberFX?
?

Please feel free to share your techniques or approaches as well.
Thank you for your opinion.

We-Co
04-24-2011, 10:47 PM
In my opinion I would go with Sasquatch... But since you just doing still images FiberFX should be fine. Problem i had is LightWave kept crashing every time I would use FiberFX. I don't know if they fix the problem in LW10.

geo_n
04-24-2011, 11:13 PM
I think poly hair would be good. If ever you would transfer the hair to another application it would be easier.
I did worked on sas for long hair but there's a lot of stuff to keep in mind when using it.
fiberfx will ge a fix for the next lw10 update so there's hope for using it now in real projects.

cgisoul
04-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I really like the FiberFX, it's very intuitive and easy to use, just with lots of settings and it gives you lots to choose from.
However.............. I just got a crash on this computer running 32 bits, 4 gb rams, Quadro FX 4600 card.

Doesn't the VPR "render" the FiberFX??? It's not showing in mine.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zg5bar.jpg

dee
04-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Turn on Volume Only in FFX.

hrgiger
04-25-2011, 04:47 AM
It looks like there are several fixes coming in Lightwave 10.1 for fiberfx so it may be a bit better. But personally I've always found Sasquatch easiest to use, it renders faster, and I think it looks more realistic. Unfortunately, it has the drawbacks of being a pixel filter, so it does not show in reflections. It also only renders shadows via shadow maps. Pros and cons you have to weigh.

cgisoul
04-25-2011, 04:47 AM
Turn on Volume Only in FFX.

Nothing happends. Still the same thing.
VPR doesn't show the fibers.

cgisoul
04-25-2011, 04:51 AM
It looks like there are several fixes coming in Lightwave 10.1 for fiberfx so it may be a bit better. But personally I've always found Sasquatch easiest to use, it renders faster, and I think it looks more realistic. Unfortunately, it has the drawbacks of being a pixel filter, so it does not show in reflections. It also only renders shadows via shadow maps. Pros and cons you have to weigh.

I guess I'll have to wait for the fix.
But I'm having lots of fun playing with it now, just with a sphere.

However, when i load the scene and add the fiberfx on the sphere, it all works fine, but then when I edit the fibers and set it global, press F9 and the fibers are not rendered. Just plain bald sphere.

geo_n
04-25-2011, 05:12 AM
I think ffx and hypervoxels only work on topleft viewport with vpr.

dee
04-25-2011, 05:20 AM
Nothing happends. Still the same thing.
VPR doesn't show the fibers.

Works here.

cgisoul
04-25-2011, 05:35 AM
Works here.

uhu?!

There's only one explanation to this. This computer sucks!!!
I will try that at home with my beast, then let you know the outcome.

cgisoul
04-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Quick Question, where do I find the FiberFX Strand Modeler in Layout? or is this a plugin?
Please

Greenlaw
04-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Strand Modeler is in Modeler.

If you need something right now, Sasquatch is the way to go. It looks good, is solid and reliable. The problem with Sas is that it's also based on dated LW architecture. When rendering, for example, you need to use Classic camera to get proper anti-aliasing, and getting proper cast shadow passes for compositing takes some creative hoop jumping. That said, it works.

I would recommend waiting though, especially if you're in HC. FiberFX has always had much potential but a few bugs have kept it from being ready for production use. If these fixes appear in 10.1, we may finally have a good alternative hair/fur system in Lightwave.

Some 'non-Lightwave' options for Lightwave are Messiah and Houdini but this means learning yet another workflow. There's also Modo hair and fur but I don't know much about that one.

G.

cgisoul
04-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Strand Modeler is in Modeler.

If you need something right now, Sasquatch is the way to go. It looks good, is solid and reliable. The problem with Sas is that it's also based on dated LW architecture. When rendering, for example, you need to use Classic camera to get proper anti-aliasing, and getting proper cast shadow passes for compositing takes some creative hoop jumping. That said, it works.

I would recommend waiting though, especially if you're in HC. FiberFX has always had much potential but a few bugs have kept it from being ready for production use. If these fixes appear in 10.1, we may finally have a good alternative hair/fur system in Lightwave.

Some 'non-Lightwave' options for Lightwave are Messiah and Houdini but this means learning yet another workflow. There's also Modo hair and fur but I don't know much about that one.

G.

Hi Greenlaw,

I was a modo user before I joined LW arena.
For some modo hair might be good, but in my experience, without turning this thread as modo vs whatever, hair/fur in modo was very slow and buggy IMO. Guess that's the same as for Fiberfx. I can't say much about it as I'm new to fiberfx, but I'm having lots of fun working with it, buggy or not.

Thanks for the clear direction, will work on the strand modeler. I saw the previews of the hair in 10.1, that hairy four legs alien. It looked good. I can wait, meanwhile, let me have some fun :D

rednova
04-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi:

I had problems with using fiberFX (lw 9.x) during an animation.
However, when using still images, fiberFX was super and worked well.
If you need rendering a still image, and not animation, fiberFX might
be good enough, just try it.
Love !!!

Rednova

bpritchard
04-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I've actually had some pretty good results on a trailer we just submitted last week using FiberFX for all the hair. Granted it wasn't super long hard (the female did have a bit of a bob that went down below her neck line). The trick is to styling.. and imo its EASIEST to build some guides for your hair to get the control your going to need to anything beyond a dudes shorter haircut.

When i did the female i simply setup ALL the guilds manually, not using the included ffx modeler in modeler. Just created a bunch of 2 point poly changes and duplicated, shaped, duplicated, shaped until i got the overall look i wanted. Upswing to that approach is you can apply things like bones, ikb, dynamics to it easily and quickly.

Greenlaw
04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
...will work on the strand modeler.
FFX Strand Modeler in Modeler has been useful for me in setting up hairstyle guide chains for a character. I find it useful for creating short hairstyles quickly. I hope it gets an update though; it works well enough if you're careful to avoid a few bugs.

FFX Strand Modeler is harder to use for complicated women's hairstyles. For long 'fancy' hairstyles, I either break the hairstyle up into several FFX Strand Modeler hair pieces, or more likely I will use Stuart Aitken's method (http://worley.com/Tutorials/StuTut/index.htm) described at the Worley website and sculpt it using curves.

There is also FFX Strand Tool in Modeler, which would be a lot more useful if you could use a brush or comb tool on the strands. In the current version you can only affect a single strand at a time which has not been very practical for me.

G.

caesar
04-25-2011, 04:44 PM
uhu?!

There's only one explanation to this. This computer sucks!!!
I will try that at home with my beast, then let you know the outcome.

Your computer doesn't sucks...sometimes VPR don't refresh when you enable volumetrics, HV and FFX. Just choose another kind of view and VPR again.

cgisoul
04-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your tips and help.

This is a quick very rough test I did. I can't tell you how much fun this is playing with the Fiberfx.

http://i53.tinypic.com/331og0w.jpg

Your computer doesn't sucks...sometimes VPR don't refresh when you enable volumetrics, HV and FFX. Just choose another kind of view and VPR again.

Caesar,
I tried that and still the same thing. It doesn't show up in VPR.

http://i56.tinypic.com/vpk9ht.jpg

I haven't got the time to try it at home last night with my computer, using my office pc to test this: quadro fx 4600, 4 gb rams, win 32 bits only.

Not sure if this is one of those bugs, but sometimes after saving the hair style/settings, when load the hair/settings nothing happens.............
Sometimes works.

cgisoul
04-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Does anyone know what is wrong with it?
I managed to "comb" the guides to make it "perfect", then when I exit Edit Guide, the hair turns into a mess. Then render and no hair.
I must be doing something very wrong here.

http://i51.tinypic.com/33kg8s0.jpg

ben martin
04-26-2011, 03:23 AM
Hi Greenlaw,
Thanks for the clear direction, will work on the strand modeler. I saw the previews of the hair in 10.1, that hairy four legs alien. It looked good. I can wait, meanwhile, let me have some fun :D

You should check video trainning at:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/training.php

or go straight to FiberFX block at:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/96training.php
Search the section "Added in LightWave v9.5"

It is free and you'll find a lot of videos about FiberFX here, very well explained by William.

Have fun.

cgisoul
04-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Obrigado Martin pelos videos.
Pelos vistos, uma vez tendo o Enable Radiosity enabled, o render engine nao mostra os cabelos.

Thank you Martin. I am watching those.
Very helpful. After some further testing, it looks like when you Check Enable Radiosity, the fibers are not rendered.

ben martin
04-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Hum... sabes mesmo Portugues ou usas um Tradutor?

About Radiosity... not necessary true.
I tested with LW10 and LW9.6 and even with Radiosity ON all rendered well.

You must have something wrong with LW installation or even the O.S.
I recommend you to review both.

Cheers.

Matt
04-26-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm hoping Lino and I can do some tutorials on FiberFX, as there are some cool things you can do with it.

FiberFX in 10.1 has also received much attention.

serge
04-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Well, he is from Macau, isn't he? :)

geo_n
04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
it looks like when you Check Enable Radiosity, the fibers are not rendered.

I posted the scene in hc forums somewhere for this render with gi. It works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iw0odanuG0

One thing they need to investigate is that ffx does not perform well with smaller characters. I don't know why I get better results from bigger characters (2m up). The wolf is not to scale if I remember correctly and so are my other ffx tests.

cgisoul
04-26-2011, 09:10 AM

About Radiosity... not necessary true.
I tested with LW10 and LW9.6 and even with Radiosity ON all rendered well.

You must have something wrong with LW installation or even the O.S.
I recommend you to review both.

Cheers.

Oi Martin,

Sou de Macau e sou Portugues (Macaense). A minha Mae e' de Santarem.
Claro que falo portuguese sem online tradutores pah! lol! :D

Mas hoje em dia e' muito raro falar portugues aqui nesta terra. A maior parte do pessoal com quem trabalho sao chineses e americanos, por isso, o cantonense e ingles sao as linguas que falo mais.

I just finished testing with my computer at home (specs on my signature) and still the same issue.

I made a quick video to show the issue at http://www.cgisoul.com/lw/issues/fiberfx/fiberfxvideo1.avi (16 MB)

It also shows that VPR doesn't render the fibers.

Sem duvidas! (Without a doubt) :)

I posted the scene in hc forums somewhere for this render with gi. It works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iw0odanuG0
One thing they need to investigate is that ffx does not perform well with smaller characters. I don't know why I get better results from bigger characters (2m up). The wolf is not to scale if I remember correctly and so are my other ffx tests.

Thanks for the link. That's a very good fur work m8.

I'm hoping Lino and I can do some tutorials on FiberFX, as there are some cool things you can do with it.

Thank you Matt. Your video was very useful too. It definitely helped a lot to understand more.

We definitely need some serious tutorials for the Fiberfx AND ALSO for the new upcoming SSS!

Meanwhile, I'm going to get myself more familiar with the fiberfx settings in Layout and come up with some crazy hair style.

By the way, this is my WIP thread for my female portrait: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118215

AND...

This is the hair style I'm hoping to achieve for the portrait. Purple-ish blue-ish gray-ish kind of color, with the same highlights (sort of).

http://www.hairdb.com/images/mediumhairstyle1/medium-hairstyle65.jpg

jasonwestmas
04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Do you have the camera icon highlighted in the VPR viewport? That icon means to turn on volumetrics and to activate animation previews.

cgisoul
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you have the camera icon highlighted in the VPR viewport? That icon means to turn on volumetrics and to activate animation previews.

On and Off, both ways. Nada! :(

http://i52.tinypic.com/rk1rgj.jpg

Wait a minute, is this just happening to me???? Man... I feel so out lol!

jasonwestmas
04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Probably the biggest issue I've seen with people using ffx is the scale of the model. It looks like you have peach fuzz on her head. Try to get the head/guides down to between 1-5 meters. You may have to apply the FFX filter again.

ben martin
04-26-2011, 03:47 PM

Touché :beerchug:

ben martin
04-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Oi Martin,

Sou de Macau e sou Portugues (Macaense). A minha Mae e' de Santarem.
Claro que falo portuguese sem online tradutores pah! lol! :D

Boa! É sempre fixe encontrar malta que fala Português neste Forum.
Olha se quiseres envia-me a cena em que estás a trabalhar que eu vejo o que se passa e ponho-te os cabelos a funcionar!

Nice! It's cool to find people that speak Portuguese on this forum.
If you wish, just send me the LW scene and I'll try to figure out what's missing and start FiberFX hair for you.

Cheers.

caesar
04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Boa! É sempre fixe encontrar malta que fala Português neste Forum.
Olha se quiseres envia-me a cena em que estás a trabalhar que eu vejo o que se passa e ponho-te os cabelos a funcionar!

Nice! It's cool to find people that speak Portuguese on this forum.
If you wish, just send me the LW scene and I'll try to figure out what's missing and start FiberFX hair for you.

Cheers.

Eu falo portugues do Brasil e não entendi nada da primeira frase LOL

I speak brazilian portuguese and didnt understand the 1st sentence at all LOL

caesar
04-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Nice to hear talented people like you both are doing new tutorials and that FiberFX had "received much attention".
:thumbsup:

ben martin
04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Eu falo portugues do Brasil e não entendi nada da primeira frase LOL

I speak brazilian portuguese and didnt understand the 1st sentence at all LOL

Pois, há algumas diferenças entre o português do Brasil e o nosso.
Provávelmente a palavre que te está a provocar problemas é "fixe".
"Fixe" é um termo muito usado desde os anos 80 em Portugal e que tem vários significados como: "bom", "fantástico", "maravilhoso" mas tem a força de todos estes termos juntos. Talvez a melhor forma de definir "fixe" seja a palavra Inglesa "COOL".
Oh sim, malta= pessoas!
-------------------------------

Well, there are some differences between the Portuguese of Brazil and ours.
Probably the word that is causing you problems is "fixe"
"Fixe" is a term widely used since the 80's in Portugal and has several meanings such as "good", "fantastic", "wonderful" but has the strength of all these terms together. Perhaps the best way to define "fixe" is the English word "COOL". :thumbsup:

OH yes! Malta= PEOPLE!

caesar
04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Pois, há algumas diferenças entre o português do Brasil e o nosso.
Provávelmente a palavre que te está a provocar problemas é "fixe".
"Fixe" é um termo muito usado desde os anos 80 em Portugal e que tem vários significados como: "bom", "fantástico", "maravilhoso" mas tem a força de todos estes termos juntos. Talvez a melhor forma de definir "fixe" seja a palavra Inglesa "COOL".
Oh sim, malta= pessoas!
-------------------------------

Well, there are some differences between the Portuguese of Brazil and ours.
Probably the word that is causing you problems is "fixe"
"Fixe" is a term widely used since the 80's in Portugal and has several meanings such as "good", "fantastic", "wonderful" but has the strength of all these terms together. Perhaps the best way to define "fixe" is the English word "COOL". :thumbsup:

OH yes! Malta= PEOPLE!

Lightwave é muito fixe!

Indeed those were the two words we don't use here.

Ernest
04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't get it. How can you get peach fuzz sized hair when you have created hair guides. I can sort of understand scale being crucial in the case of fur, when only the numeric parameters determine how the fur looks. But when we're talking about hair, with guides that you can clearly see are up to scale relative to the object, why does the actual size affect the result?

ben martin
04-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Lightwave é muito fixe!

Right on!
Lightwave is indeed very cool!

I don't get it. How can you get peach fuzz sized hair when you have created hair guides.

There are a lot of things about FFX that is not working as it should in his case. I do not notice any problem he mentioned, in my tests.
I also don't get it! 8~

cgisoul
04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Thank you Martin for offering to help out and look at my scene.

Thinking about it, I am making my female model available here, so everyone can actually help out and have a go as well. The only 1 thing I ask, those who actually have a spin with my scene and create some hair styles, would / could share some of their insights as well among all of us. So, not only I learn, but everyone benefits from this thread as well.

http://cgisoul.com/wip/cgisoul_female_wip.rar

Maybe a contest of who can come up with the sexiest hair style?

The scene includes:
- Wall
- Head

Again, thank you Martin and everyone for helping out.

probiner
04-27-2011, 04:07 AM
Português ao ataque :D

Good news about FFX attention in 10.1

cgisoul
04-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Olha olha, este tambem! hehe fixe! It looks like that we have a great deal of Portuguese community here!
ATTACK!!! :D

dee
04-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Take this scene as a starting point for your tweaks. I scaled the head object down to real life measures in Modeler (your object was way to big), changed the camera to Perspective (Orthographic has problems with FFX) and changed some settings in FFX and the lights. The f9 render is with Volume Only off. Btw, I find VPR not very usefull for FFX, maybe 10.1 is better in this regard.

cgisoul
04-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Take this scene as a starting point for your tweaks. I scaled the head object down to real life measures in Modeler (your object was way to big), changed the camera to Perspective (Orthographic has problems with FFX) and changed some settings in FFX and the lights. The f9 render is with Volume Only off. Btw, I find VPR not very usefull for FFX, maybe 10.1 is better in this regard.

Hi dee,

Thank you for trying it out. I looked at your scene and thank you for the directions. I didn't know that orto camera wasn't good for FFX. Got to learn with the people who knows :)

I've been "chatting" backwards and forwards with the bug fix support Today and he has been saying there are lots of fixes and enhancements on the ffx side on 10.1.

So, I guess I'm holding on for now until I try the ffx again. No point in trying when there are bugs. I tested once again Today, trying to come up with a new hair style and the hair just simply exploded on side ways...

Hopefully 10.1 is the answer for my problem. Otherwise I might have to rely on Sasquatch most probably.

Matt
04-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Just a note about VPR and FiberFX.

FiberFX has two rendering modes: as a Pixel Filter and Volumetric.

Volumetric Fibers can be seen in VPR, and also reflections.

Pixel Filter FiberFX can't be seen in VPR because pixel filters are not currently supported.

Pixel Filter mode uses a totally different approach to rendering hair, and for my money looks much better than Volumetric mode.

So you need to pick which is important to you.

cgisoul
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Just a note about VPR and FiberFX.
FiberFX has two rendering modes: as a Pixel Filter and Volumetric.
Volumetric Fibers can be seen in VPR, and also reflections.
Pixel Filter FiberFX can't be seen in VPR because pixel filters are not currently supported.
Pixel Filter mode uses a totally different approach to rendering hair, and for my money looks much better than Volumetric mode.
So you need to pick which is important to you.

One renders with vpr and the other not. Hmmm... That's what I was told today as well.
I will need to actually see a side by side comparison to see.

Matt, any chance for NT to make some new tutorials on the new ffx?

Also, I'm finding very hard and lots of inconsistencies when i create some guides and the result is very different. For what I experienced so far, for short hairs, it works great, but not for long hair. Is where the problems starts.

I sent a screen shot to bug support an hour ago.

Hopefully 10.1 will fix this issue. Are we getting it soon?..... ;)

mythek1
04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
FiberFX is close to being a really good hair generator. Personally I prefer the look of FiberFX to Sasquatch.

FiberFX in its original form: 'FiberFactory IV' as a plugin, was less buggy and quicker to render before it was integrated into Lightwave. They have now however improved its speed and quality.

My main issues are:
That the fibers don't follow the guides that brilliantly.
The render times go too high when you dial up the 'Cluster' settings.
Occasional random swirly hairs not attached to the head.
Tricky to set up Hair dynamics with ClothFX.
Here are a couple of stills from my dynamic hair attempts:

Hair style presets or extra guide styling tools would be a bonus but I'm sure most people would be happy with stability improvements.

silviotoledo
04-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Hey, for all the portuguese language guys there's also a cool forum in portuguese www.wavers.com.br/forum. Hope find all the guys over there!

ben martin
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you Martin for offering to help out and look at my scene.
.... ....
Again, thank you Martin and everyone for helping out.

Sorry, I have been very busy today.
Only now I could find some time to check your progresses.
I'll try to do something with your scene.

ben martin
04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
OK...
You have a big problem with your model.
FFX takes into account actual scales.
Your head is 18 feet what is unreal.
Change your model for scale (head - between 25 to 35 cm).
You will see that the scales and values ​​of FFX will behave more realistically.

jasonwestmas
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
18 feet mmm yeah, like I said that doesn't work for a head, it should be real world scale or in that range.

ben martin
04-27-2011, 06:40 PM
After rescalling your model, I came up with this.
I can not devote much time to this exercise.
In attach you'll find the updated scene and LWO.
I guess from here, is just a question of shaping/modeling the guides to get the correct hair style.

Good luck!

Portnoy
04-27-2011, 09:21 PM
@CGISoul, I don't know if you ever got your original issue solved with viewing the fiberfx in VPR. I was having the same issue as you, it wasn't showing up in VPR. Ended up stumbling across something that may help, it helped me. Included a screenshot.

Found out that I needed to have the little camera icon selected in the upper right of the tool bar BEFORE I changed my viewport to VPR then it showed up. Doesn't work if you already have the viewport set to viper, not sure if it's a bug with VPR or what. You also need to have Volume Only selected as well for it to show.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

cgisoul
04-28-2011, 12:21 AM
FiberFX is close to being a really good hair generator. Personally I prefer the look of FiberFX to Sasquatch.

FiberFX in its original form: 'FiberFactory IV' as a plugin, was less buggy and quicker to render before it was integrated into Lightwave. They have now however improved its speed and quality.

My main issues are:
That the fibers don't follow the guides that brilliantly.
The render times go too high when you dial up the 'Cluster' settings.
Occasional random swirly hairs not attached to the head.
Tricky to set up Hair dynamics with ClothFX.
Here are a couple of stills from my dynamic hair attempts:

Hair style presets or extra guide styling tools would be a bonus but I'm sure most people would be happy with stability improvements.

These pretty much resumes of what I think of ffx. Besides, nice model you have there m8.

Hey, for all the portuguese language guys there's also a cool forum in portuguese www.wavers.com.br/forum. Hope find all the guys over there!

Thank you silviotoledo :)

After rescalling your model, I came up with this.
I can not devote much time to this exercise.
In attach you'll find the updated scene and LWO.
I guess from here, is just a question of shaping/modeling the guides to get the correct hair style.

Good luck!

Hi Martin,

No worries here and I understand. Saw your website and pretty impressive work you have there.
Thank you so much for taking your time to look at it. I will re-size it accordingly based on your scene and study it further.

Let me just finish a project I have in hand now and I will post some of my results.

18 feet mmm yeah, like I said that doesn't work for a head, it should be real world scale or in that range.

Thanks m8. :)

@CGISoul, I don't know if you ever got your original issue solved with viewing the fiberfx in VPR. I was having the same issue as you, it wasn't showing up in VPR. Ended up stumbling across something that may help, it helped me. Included a screenshot.

Found out that I needed to have the little camera icon selected in the upper right of the tool bar BEFORE I changed my viewport to VPR then it showed up. Doesn't work if you already have the viewport set to viper, not sure if it's a bug with VPR or what. You also need to have Volume Only selected as well for it to show.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Hi Portnoy,

Yiap, I have that on and Volume Only on. Having that said, when I create a sphere only, it all works well. But when it comes to my female mesh, there's problems.
I am not sure if that's the size issue, but I will resize the mesh as recommended and work again on the guides/fibers.

archijam
04-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Also check the experiments of safari fx:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?23638-Fiber-fx-(funny-examples-inside)

Portnoy
04-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Quote from cgisoul:
Hi Portnoy,

Yiap, I have that on and Volume Only on. Having that said, when I create a sphere only, it all works well. But when it comes to my female mesh, there's problems.
I am not sure if that's the size issue, but I will resize the mesh as recommended and work again on the guides/fibers.

cgisoul, I'll have to try it on a more complex object I basically used simple shapes. If you don't mind posting your object I can try it.

ben martin
04-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Hi Martin,

No worries here and I understand. Saw your website and pretty impressive work you have there.
Thank you so much for taking your time to look at it. I will re-size it accordingly based on your scene and study it further.

Let me just finish a project I have in hand now and I will post some of my results.

No problem, budy!
Essentialy, what you need is to understand the concepts behind FFX.
From there, is always going up!

If I can be of more assistance, just drop me a line. :phone_cal
Thanks for your comments about my (very old site and) work. :beerchug:

mythek1
04-28-2011, 12:15 PM
These pretty much resumes of what I think of ffx. Besides, nice model you have there m8.

Thanks:) It just takes a lot of practise but when the improvements to FFX come through I'm sure you will achieve great results.

cgisoul
04-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks:) It just takes a lot of practise but when the improvements to FFX come through I'm sure you will achieve great results.

I hope I will. Lately I haven't much time to work on it (since yesterday :) ), as some projects came in and been busy these two days. Maybe in a second I will try again.

A quick question, is the eye lashes from your model done as a polygon hair or you model the hair stripe by stripe? I tried to apply some transparency on a simple plane with alpha and I couldn't get rid of the edges. I'll see if I can illustrate something later.

cgisoul, I'll have to try it on a more complex object I basically used simple shapes. If you don't mind posting your object I can try it.

Hi Portnoy,

I posted my model in my post #39:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1135517&postcount=39

Have a go and share your findings ;)

No problem, budy!
Essentialy, what you need is to understand the concepts behind FFX.
From there, is always going up!

If I can be of more assistance, just drop me a line. :phone_cal
Thanks for your comments about my (very old site and) work. :beerchug:

I've been reading the fiberfx manual :D and hmmm...hmmm... I need more time to try things out. Again man, thank you.

Greenlaw
04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Yes, I'm looking forward to the fixes too. I've always loved the look of FFX in still renders and have wanted to use it in production at the Box and at home for years now.

But in my tests FFX tends to break when rendering animated layers for compositing, specifically cast shadows. Basically, when rendering shadow passes, the shadows will appear and disappear from frame to frame, or FFX would somehow get confused about what it was trying to render and render the wrong element. (This issue has already been fogbugzed here: Corrupted Shadow Pass (https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?30619_ep6dfg7h). Short version: All frames in a render should look like C, but instead the current version of FFX randomly renders C, D, E, and F.) Getting this right is very important for characters with long hair and dynamics (as in the test images presented in this thread.)

When 10.1 comes out, the content in the Fogbugz report is the first thing I'm going to try. If this is fixed (plus the stuff others have fogbugzed of course.), that would be a key incentive for the Box to stick with Lightwave for hair and fur rendering.

Sending good luck vibes to Newtek now. :)

G.

ben martin
04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
... FFX tends to break when rendering animated layers for compositing, specifically cast shadows. Basically, when rendering shadow passes, the shadows will appear and disappear from frame to frame,
G.

Indeed!
Finally, I hope they can solve the problem so I can start rendering "War Legacy" takes! :)

Cheers.

mythek1
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
I hope I will. Lately I haven't much time to work on it (since yesterday :) ), as some projects came in and been busy these two days. Maybe in a second I will try again.

A quick question, is the eye lashes from your model done as a polygon hair or you model the hair stripe by stripe? I tried to apply some transparency on a simple plane with alpha and I couldn't get rid of the edges. I'll see if I can illustrate something later.

They are polygon and a bit fiddly especially if you decide you need to adjust the eyelids.

cgisoul
04-30-2011, 02:49 AM
They are polygon and a bit fiddly especially if you decide you need to adjust the eyelids.

Hi mythek,

Thanks for showing me this. That's what I though at first that yours was polygons. Guess I will have to work on it pretty soon.

Cheers!