PDA

View Full Version : Render artifact at objects border

madno
04-24-2011, 04:59 AM
I have a problem with a line appearing at the border where two objects are touching each other (see screenshot). The postions of the objects are set by entering values into the edit fields, so they should be exact. I am quite new to LW so there might something I am doing wrong. Does somebody have a tip how to avoid this line artifact?

Thanks in advance.

eagleeyed
04-24-2011, 06:35 AM
It may be because you have overlapping polygons, by saying 2 objects is it that you have put 2 different cubes/shapes right next to/on top of each other?

If that is the case, you will need to get rid of the duplicate geometry. If you are not planning on animating those two parts and want them to always stay that way, easiest way would be to select each overlapping point (so two points at a time) and then weld them together. This will make it so its all just one object, connecting them.

If there is a polygon(s) between both connecting edges of the objects delete them before you weld as they will not be needed.

If it isnt that (and I have my own doubts as to whether it could be that, I am rather new to LightWave myself) hopefully someone more informed will be able to give you a answer. :)

madno
04-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the answer.
Yes I have two cubes put next to each other. But the geometry does not overlap (see the point info in the screenshot). Problem is, I want the objects to be on their own, so I can't solve my problem by connection them to one object.

hunter
04-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Is it possible that there are some 2 point polys there?

Mr Rid
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah, looks like 2-point polys lurking. In Modeler, Polygons mode, click 'W', and see if '2 Vertices' is active. Or, disable 'Render Lines' in Layout render globals.

JonW
04-28-2011, 06:53 PM
If you have LWcad it has a great tool, Fix Polygons, I use it on everything even if it's a basic object, & have been surprised how many broken things & 1 & 2 point polys it picks up from my sloppy modelling work. Just this feature alone is worth the money in time saved.

It doesn't replace what has been suggested above, it just another level of fixing things up, a bit like a Preflight check on an object.

madno
04-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Dear all,
thank you for the help.
It was a poly inside the wall.

By the way, while making my first steps trough modelling I have one question after the other. A lot of them I can answer by my two LW books and video tutorials. But sometimes I even can't solve the most simple issues.
Do you think this LW forum is the right place to bother people with beginner stuff? Or do you know another forum etc. I should join?

JonW
04-29-2011, 12:31 AM
If we get irritated by pointless repetitive questions you will soon get the message, or rather, lack of messages!

LW is a huge beast to learn, & most of us are still learning. In the meantime look at as many videos as you can, even if you don't think you are going to require touching on that particular subject.

Make sure all your file names don't have spaces, use "_" or "-" this is going to be critical when you use more than 1 computer with LW & Screamernet. Nothing worse than learning this the hard way.

It's quite often the blindingly obvious things that can trip one up & most of us are more than happy to try & help where we can.

probiner
04-29-2011, 03:15 AM
Hi madno.
I also some times get this with 3,4,5 points polys because they are inner geometry or squashed.

Using the Statistics Panel in -Edge- mode will show them if you select the parameter ">2 Polygons". Meaning it will select edges that belong to 3 or more polygons, which normally represent issues.