PDA

View Full Version : New series of Doctor Who

wrench
04-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi all,

Did you all watch Doctor Who tonight? Did you spot Mark Sheppard who played Badger in Firefly? I wonder if his name "Canton" was a nod back to that series? I guess "Badger Everett Delaware III" wouldn't really be plausible... ;)

B

adrian
04-26-2011, 04:48 AM
Didn't see it myself because I didn't know it was on. Any feedback? Must see if I can watch it online...

Still not sure I like the new doctor yet, and very sad news last week of Elizabeth Sladen passing away.

wrench
04-26-2011, 04:55 AM
I really like him, and it's certainly true that David Tennant was a hard act to follow, but Matt Smith has made his own, different doctor, which is as it should be. He's also benefited from some of the best writing to date (I'm particularly thinking of the Van Gogh episode).

The Impossible Astronaut was good, not excellent. It had too much concentration on the fact they were actually filming in the real US, not just a quarry in Wales with a Coca-Cola sign, for me.

B

rdrdrd23
04-26-2011, 06:04 AM
You know, prior to Smitt, Dr.Who had been guff. Really.
But while I originally let my two boys watch it because they said they liked it, I've really enjoyed Smith and Gillian. Effects are always a bit low-budget looking, but the stories are good, and the writing is always enjoyable for adults and youngsters to watch and enjoy on different levels.
Top stuff!

04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I love this new series. Have to say it would not be Doctor Who if they made the effects any better.

:)

digitaldoc
04-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Having seen all of the Doctors over the years, Matt Smith does a pretty good job.

Best special effect OF ALL TIME : Death by plastic chair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXrAK6sUZ_0

:D

Paul_Boland
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes, I saw it, great to have it back, I love the series. When Matt Smith took over the role of the Doctor I was very unsure at first about him but by the time his very first episode ended I liked him. His whole opening season was great stuff with the rip in space following him everywhere.

With Stargate Universe after being cancelled, Doctor Who is the only sci-fi show on now where people in ships go and explore the universe. It's a real shame because SGU is a fantastic series!