PDA

View Full Version : which Maya functions are useful as a 'plug-in' for Lightwave?

3dWannabe
04-23-2011, 10:41 AM
I just dealt with moving a UV map from a low poly model to a high poly using Maya 2011's "Transfer Attributes".

I also used Lightwave as a "plug-in" to fix some ngon's from a 3D Coat retopology.

It's great how all these programs work together!

I don't know much about Maya, except it is very useful for painting weights in Lightwave models.

While I have a week or so left on my Digital Tutors subscription ... what other features of Maya can be used as 'plug-ins' for Lightwave - or ways it can enhance Lightwave's workflow?

I'd like to use Lightwave for what it is best at, and use other programs to augment the workflow.

I'm also interested in which features of Modo can be used as "plug-ins" for Lightwave.

And ... if anyone wants to add, which features of Lightwave totally 'kick butt' and leave Maya,Modo, etc. behind.

What are Lightwave's strongest features!

Cageman
04-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Maya has a superior approach to dealing with large scenes. I can't stress how nice Mayas grouping methods are and how easy it is to deal with structuring your scenecontent to make sense. Of course you can do this in LW as well, but it usually resorts to dealing with null-objects and drag/drop in Scene Editor. If you have scenes with lots of content, the management in LW can become timeconsuming and frustrating. On that note though, Svenart (http://www.svenart.de/lscripts.htm) has created a free tool called Creategroup which takes much of this philosophy found in Maya over to LW.

Maya also has nCloth which is a very good soft/cloth simulation system, and with some tricks, you can make it do hardbody as well. That said, if cloth is the only thing you would want to do, Marvelous Designer (http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/) is probably the way to go these days, no matter what software you are using as a base of operations.

So, I actually derailed this somewhat, but, from where I see it, the biggest thing that Maya has going for it is the rigging/skinning toolsets. Obviously, working with large datasets is something Maya can handle quite differently from LW, but usually in conjunction with external renderengines such as Renderman or vRay. But, for rigging/animation, Maya is a perfect plugin for LW.

Modo has a great modeler and preview system and a very good renderengine. It has advantages over LW, but LW also has advantages over Modo when it comes to rendering (mostly related to the shading side of things) while Modo is much more developed regarding how to work with displacements from ZBrush.

If Modo could be used for saving out an LWO-sequence where displacements etc are encoded into the mesh (yes... this would make for a large object sequence), one could bring that into LW for final light/shade and render.

In my opinion, LWs strongest featuers lies within the light/shade/render area and previz. I think that the idea in LW to allow for weightless rigging allows it to quickly replace objects and test things out without having to do a lot of work beforehand, which lends itself quite nicely to previz work. Looking at what Lino does with LW regarding this approach for rigging and animating, the results are clearly good enough for production as well. I also think that LWs displacements, especially the nodebased stuff, allows for things to be done quicker since you actually can see the result in the viewport right away. The only other app that I've seen doing a great job at this is XSI (Houdini might do it as well).

But, I strongly suggest that you invest time with Maya and get the grips with it regarding rigging and animation. It is a great companion for LW.

3dWannabe
04-23-2011, 02:52 PM
But, for rigging/animation, Maya is a perfect plugin for LW.

But, I strongly suggest that you invest time with Maya and get the grips with it regarding rigging and animation. It is a great companion for LW.

How would this work?

I'd take my Lightwave models, rig in Maya, and bring back the baked motion to be surface and rendered in Lightwave? Any tips on this workflow?

I suppose MotionBuilder fits well into that pipeline also?

What about rigging in 3ds with CAT? I've heard great things about it, but ... have no objective way to compare.

BTW - Digital Tutors seems a bit behind the curve on the latest tutorials (nothing on CAT for instance, or layers in MotionBuilder). What's the best source of Maya and other AD tutorials?

Thanks!

Cageman
04-23-2011, 03:06 PM
How would this work?

I'd take my Lightwave models, rig in Maya, and bring back the baked motion to be surface and rendered in Lightwave? Any tips on this workflow?

I suppose MotionBuilder fits well into that pipeline also?

Well, in the case of Motionbuilder, it would be a LW -> Maya -> Motionbuilder -> Maya -> LW pipeline, where LW is used for the modeling and Light/Shade/Render.

You either get a license of PointOven to bake .MDD files out of Maya, or you use Mayas GeoCache directly in LW.

What about rigging in 3ds with CAT? I've heard great things about it, but ... have no objective way to compare.

Well, PointOven supports 3DS Max, so whatever you do in 3DS Max can be baked out to .MDD, or I think that 3DS Max can output in GeoCache format as well. I have no experience regarding CAT in Max.

BTW - Digital Tutors seems a bit behind the curve on the latest tutorials (nothing on CAT for instance, or layers in MotionBuilder). What's the best source of Maya and other AD tutorials?

Thanks!

AD themselves has a great deal of tutorials. Gnomon has tons of tutorials as well. Not exactly sure how much of those are related to your specific questions here though.

3dWannabe
04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Well, in the case of Motionbuilder, it would be a LW -> Maya -> Motionbuilder -> Maya -> LW pipeline, where LW is used for the modeling and Light/Shade/Render.

So, there's an advantage to moving to Maya directly rather than to MotionBuilder?

You either get a license of PointOven to bake .MDD files out of Maya, or you use Mayas GeoCache directly in LW.

Do you get more ease-of-use with PointOven or some other advantage over the native GeoCache?

BTW - using RHiggit Pro's deformers and FBX rig would be of use in this pipeline?

Cageman
04-23-2011, 03:48 PM
So, there's an advantage to moving to Maya directly rather than to MotionBuilder?

It depens on what you want to do or achive and what tools you would want to use. If you feel that you can't stand LightWaves Vertex Paint, there is no reason not to use Maya instead. And if you set things up in Maya, it is better to move that data over to Motionbuilder to apply mocap and bring the data back to Maya and then export using .MDD or GeoCache.

Do you get more ease-of-use with PointOven or some other advantage over the native GeoCache?

PointOven can output an LWS from Maya where all MDDfiles are connected, so you just open the LWS in LW and your character is there doing whatever it did in Maya. Going for the GeoCache solution, you would have to manually attach each .mc file to the corresponding object. Of course, if you are handy with L-scripting, you should be able to automate this process.

BTW - using RHiggit Pro's deformers and FBX rig would be of use in this pipeline?

No, because this pipeline is designed to be used to take advantage of Mayas skinning/rigging/deformation toolset.

If you are using RHiggit Pro and you are happy with how things deform, there is no point in adding Maya into this pipeline. Motionbuilder makes sense though, since you want to apply mocap, or use Motionbuilders FK/IK rig for animation.

Greenlaw
04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
...I'm also interested in which features of Modo can be used as "plug-ins" for Lightwave.

...What are Lightwave's strongest features!
Cageman, as usual, covered all the bases perfectly but I will add my two-cents anyway. :)

I do most of my modeling with Modo these days. The workflow is elegant and fast, and there are a lot of things it can do that just can't be done with Modeler, at least not as easily. For example, need to delete an edge loop? Just click on an edge, press 'l', and then press backspace; loop is gone and geometry and UV does not explode. Try doing that in Modeler.

That said, Modo's workflow is a bit different from Modeler and it can take time and practice adjusting to it. I've been using Modo for a while now and sometimes I still get stuck on some stupid simple thing, and then I will fall back to Modeler just to get the task done. Also, once I get my object into a Lightwave scene, if I need to edit the object, then I will work mainly in Modeler so I won't have to mess with reapplying surfaces. Also, it's just more convenient if you're using the Hub.

So I'm not slamming Modeler; it's still very capable and a lot of people use it everyday (including myself.) But Modo is very good if you feel you need a bit more 'oomph!' to get things done quickly and are are willing to learn another workflow to get it.

Lightwave's key strength these days is probably its renderer. Layout makes it easy to get a great look with just a few basic settings, it's extremely versatile--go from toon, to photoreal, to hypereal, all in the same renderer. It's very fast if you understand how to optimize the settings, and it's one of the cheapest renderers you can buy: 999 renders nodes per license! All of the above are reasons why we still rely on it in the Box at R+H.

Not long ago, my complaints about Layout was lack of fluid dynamics and a modern hair and fur system that can can be animated reliably but these issues are being addressed in the third party TurbulenceFD and apparently in FiberFX for LW 10.1.

I've been playing with TurbulenceFD lately and it's pretty amazing. Using my own license I did a wonderful proof of concept animation for a whispy 'spooky creature' smoke effect. The test took me less than a day to set up and render, and that was without knowing anything about the tool. Now I'm hoping now that we can get a few licenses for work on our current job because, even as a beta product, TFD seems to give me Houdini and FumeFX quality for a fraction of the cost. Still more testing to do but it's very promsing.

I haven't used the new FFX in 10.1 yet but if Newtek has really been able to fix the render consistency issues with animated fibers, shadows, and shadow passes, then we may finally get a system we can move forward with. At work we still primarily use Sasquatch but it definitely presents a few problems for us (like requiring Classic camera and not being able to easily make cast shadow passes,) and we've actually gone back to using shaded polygonal hair for certain types of character. We have been exploring using Houdini, but if FFX actually works now for animation, we may stick with Lightwave for hair and fur.

ClothFX still handles our hair animation but that system is definitely showing its age too. I hope we get an alternative soon, like maybe an implementation of Bullet in LW for cloth dynamics. For character clothing dynamics we've pretty much moved to Maya's system, since all our character animation is being done in that package these days.

I've been looking at Marvelous Designer 2 lately; it's a lot of fun to play with and I purchased a personal license (missed the recent $99 promo but $199 still seems like a good deal,) because they are supposed to introduce MDD import this month. (MD2 already has MDD export.) I'm looking forward to to using it on a project soon: if this system works well for me, I might be able to get us to use it at work for clothing and cloth animation. (And maybe for hair guides animation too. I don't know if it can actually deal with hair guides but I'll definitely look into this when the time comes.) My wife and I will very likely be using it for our next animated project after the Brudders film is done.

I finally got a license of RHiggit Pro today! We're not using it for 'Brudders' (we already have custom Motion Builder compatible rigs set up that work well for us,) but we'll probably try it out on the next (non-'Brudders') movie. I hope to make time to play with RHiggit in the near future but for now I have way too much other stuff to deal with first. :p

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post, but I hope it was a little helpful.

G.

3dWannabe
04-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Cageman and Greenlaw - thanks so much for your advice!

I'd already bought many of the tools you use, Turbulence, Modo, Janus, exrTrader, so I'm certainly committed to continuing to use Lightwave.

Marvelous Designer 2 sounds interesting.

In the spirit of Maya as a plug-in for Lightwave, what do you use at R+H for rigging/posing tools with Maya? I'm looking at The Setup Machine, Rapid Rig Advanced/Poser and AdvancedSkeleton.

Do you know of Maya plug-ins to replace the functionality of the TA plug-ins?

How are things with gimbal lock in Maya?

After bringing in motions with PointOven, how's the speed in Lightwave? Does this get around the multi-character slowdown issues in Lightwave?

I'm definitely considering using Maya for rigging/animation, and at this point I know almost NOTHING about it, so I don't want to make a misstep.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!.

Greenlaw
04-24-2011, 07:38 PM
In the spirit of Maya as a plug-in for Lightwave, what do you use at R+H for rigging/posing tools with Maya?
R+H actually uses a proprietary animation system they call Voodoo and they have an entire department dedicated to rigging. I got a small taste of this not long ago when I got to do a little animation with the studio software on a feature, and it's pretty cool. I know that's not what you're asking, but it was a very interesting experience for me. :)

Anyway, in the Box we use mostly 'off-the-shelf' software and we currently use Maya for CA. I do some some CA in Maya but rigging in Maya is beyond my current abilities. Another artist does most of our rigging and I think he does everything from scratch. I know there's been discussion about getting an auto-rigger system for Maya but I don't think they've decided on one yet.[/QUOTE]

After bringing in motions with PointOven, how's the speed in Lightwave? Does this get around the multi-character slowdown issues in Lightwave?
It's pretty fast most of the time. The advantage is that you're not making Lightwave do any bones or IK calculations; all MDD does is move points around based on a list of coordinates. Where you can see slow down is when your frame range is very long, like several hundreds of frames long. To get around this, you can trim the data to the actual frame range in your shot. Also, some MDD readers will load entire sequences to memory and some only load the current frame, so you can choose which is optimal to your workflow.

The density of your geometry can also affect MDD performance (as it would bones and IK,) but you can MDD subpatch objects to speed things up.

I'm definitely considering using Maya for rigging/animation, and at this point I know almost NOTHING about it, so I don't want to make a misstep.
Moving to Maya for rigging and animation can add a whole other layer of complexity to your projects, so be sure you understand what you're getting into. For me personally, I wish to stay with LW because it's what I'm most familiar with, and I am only using Maya where it speeds up my workflow (like painting weights for MB.) I don't know if it will always be this way but for now this workflow is working well for me.

G.

Cageman
04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
I have to agree with Greenlaw here...

It really boils down to what you need to achive. If you can stay in LW, it should always be the prefered way, especially if you are new to Maya. Make the switch gradual. Once you have mastered Maya, but also keep learning about LW, you will notice that the grass isn't allways that much greener on the other side of the fence, no matter which side you are standing on.

Devicing and making good use of a pipeline that we use at work, requires alot of knowledge from the apps involved, even if it in most cases is quite simple.

3dWannabe
04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Cageman & Greenlaw - at the moment, the only 'animating' I've done is using JimmyRig, so I'm going to have to learn rigging and animation almost from scratch anyway.

Do you think it would take much longer to learn Maya?

I've been watching some tutorials and they seem to make sense to me.

But, I understand that I may be trading one set of problems for another set.

With hopefully most of my 'animation' coming from motion capture, the one-click transfers between MotionBuilder and Maya (and other AD tools) certainly are compelling - and it looks like they seem to be standardizing the interfaces in many cases (maybe just with 2012)?

Of course, I see all these posts about Maya's new releases (as in 2010, 2011) being very buggy - and people using previous releases instead, and I don't know what to make of that.

But, I see some of those type of posts for Lightwave too. It's so hard to judge and make the right decisions?

funk
04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
For example, need to delete an edge loop? Just click on an edge, press 'l', and then press backspace; loop is gone and geometry and UV does not explode. Try doing that in Modeler.

Greenlaw, you probably already know this but here is what I do:
1. Assign "Select Loop" to the "Shift+Ctrl+L" key
2. Assign "Remove" to the "Delete" key

Then you can select any edge, "ctrl+shift+l" to select the loop, then "delete" to remove the edge loop :) Just like your description of modo.

"Remove" works the same as lightwave's "Delete" except it works on edges. I have no idea why Newtek don't assign it to the delete key by default.

Danner
04-25-2011, 02:31 AM
I use "Dissolve" to remove edge loops in LW

erikals
04-25-2011, 03:22 AM
which features of Lightwave totally 'kick butt'?

endomorphs ꞉]

Greenlaw
04-25-2011, 07:43 AM
"Remove" works the same as lightwave's "Delete" except it works on edges. I have no idea why Newtek don't assign it to the delete key by default.
Really? I did not know that. It sounds like the difference between Backspace and Delete in Modo. Thanks for the tip; I'll have to try that out this afternoon.

Endomorphs. Yeah! :)

3dWannabe
04-26-2011, 11:42 PM
I gather that I take my objects into Maya from Lightwave, animate both the objects and cameras in Maya, export to LW using PointOven for surfacing and rendering.

1. Are there scaling issues between Maya and LW?

2. If I bring in mdd's for both the character animation and facial morphs into Lightwave, will that work?

3. If I have facial morph, and also use a jaw bone, is that possible, or would moving the jaw cause all sorts of issues with the morphs?

4. Do I export my character to Maya as the separately layered LW character, or do I need to combine the layers for any reason?

5. I'd also animate the cameras in Maya? I've been watching a Digital Tutors video on camera animation, and camera animation seems very powerful, but ... there is a rather steep learning curve.

---
The more I think about it, the more Newtek should push for Lightwave/Maya integration! I bet that I evangelize a few Maya users into using Lightwave as a rendering engine for very cost effective render farms. When combined with Janus and exrTrader, ... AD just can't compete with Newtek!

BTW - at the moment, knowing next to nothing, I'm leaning toward 'AdvancedSkeleton' for auto-rigging in Maya.

It has controls to get out of gimbal lock, creates a low poly model to animate with for speed, has a system to apply weights that seems very flexible (but weights can also be painted), characters with multiple heads, etc.

It's free, so if it doesn't work out, I'm not out of much but my time.

http://www.animationstudios.com.au/AdvancedSkeleton/helpfiles/Libary.html
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/c/advancedskeleton
http://www.youtube.com/user/AdvancedSkeleton#p/u

BTW - if anyone wants to see PointOven mdd displayed in Lightwave, Cageman created a cool video in this thread http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83693&highlight=mdd

Greenlaw
05-01-2011, 02:38 PM
It works! Thanks for the tip. :)

I was working in Modeler today and needed to do this but I could not find the Remove command, and discovered that the command isn't assigned to any menu buttons or keys; I guess this was why I didn't know it even existed.

This isn't the first time this has happened. There are a few useful native Lightwave Modeler commands that are 'hidden' from the preset menus, and you wouldn't know they were there unless you go through the entire plug-in list and stumble on it, or another user just happens to tell you about it.

For the next update, it would be great if the Default and Studio Production Style Menus got an update to include all of the available tools. (I like to use Studio Production Style with a few custom branches added.)

G.

erikals
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Studio Production Style +1 http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/rock.gif

Greenlaw
05-01-2011, 03:38 PM
are uv's preserved?
Good question. I haven't UV'd the object yet. I can try a quick test in a minute though.

Celshader
05-01-2011, 05:07 PM
While I have a week or so left on my Digital Tutors subscription ... what other features of Maya can be used as 'plug-ins' for Lightwave - or ways it can enhance Lightwave's workflow?

Greetings,

Use whatever works best for what you need. On the project I'm working on at my current workplace, Maya is used purely for character rigging/animation and LightWave is used for almost everything else (from rendering the Maya animation to 100%-LightWave shots).

If your schedule permits, I also encourage you to learn the free Python scripting language (http://python.org). Python is wonderful for gluing multiple packages together. :D

:)

nickdigital
05-01-2011, 06:03 PM
If your schedule permits, I also encourage you to learn the free Python scripting language (http://python.org). Python is wonderful for gluing multiple packages together. :D

Can you share an example of how Python is used in a CG pipeline?

Celshader
05-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Can you share an example of how Python is used in a CG pipeline?

Sure. Here's a few examples of Python in production...

"Open Render Folder" - a right-click action for *.LWS files that would open the scene file's render folder.
For a massive RealFlow project, the user right-clicked on a *.bin particle sequence from RealFlow to launch a Python script. The script would convert the particles into a *.lwo partigon sequence, build a *.lws file and render folder based on the sequence/shot information contained in the *.bin file's folder path, create a render folder and aim the *.lws file at it. The user could then open the *.lws file to spot-check the lighting before submitting the *.lws file to the farm. It was the best way to deal with hundreds of RealFlow assets.
The following script requires specific rigging on the Maya end, but it's worth it. In the Maya rig, all meshes must sit at the origin in world-coordinate space. Only their points may be moved off the origin using bones/dynamics/deformers. This turns Maya's local-coordinate-space geocaches into MDD world-coordinate equivalents, and you only need the XML data to export the character out of Maya. The character animator hides all low-res/med-res geometry layers and leaves only the desired geometry visible. The animator then clicks a button that launches a PyMEL script that deselects everything and then selects only those meshes that are visible, in a visible layer, with a skin cluster applied. After selecting these meshes, it exports their geocaches to a specific folder. After doing this, it scans through the folder and builds new LightWave scene files from *.lws templates associated with these XML files. It places the folders in the LightWave content directory where the artists can easily find it and load it into their scenes. At this point the only thing that needs to be manually FBX-exported out of Maya is the camera. In this way the characters and their associated XML files only need to be manually applied once (for the *.lws template files), and Python does all the work from then-on.
A right-click action for LightWave scene files to check for missing frames. If missing frames are found, it gives the user options to write a text report, resubmit just the missing frames to the render farm or render them locally using LWSN.exe.
A right-click action to backup a LWS file and update its Maya XML references with the latest XMLs, if applicable.
A script to look through the entire project:messiah project directory and (through use of fuzzy matching) find the messiah scenes most likely repsonsible for generating a specific *.MDD file.
A script to crawl through the entire LightWave content folder (after backing everything up just in case) and strip out all expressions from all of the scene files. For this specific instance, a set of unused expressions had gotten out of hand after a few load-from-scenes and resulted in 40,000+ expressions for some of the scenes, causing slow load times. No other Graph Editor expressions were being used in the show, so the decision was made to just strip out all expressions as a quick fix instead of manually stripping them out one scene at a time.
A right-click action for a *.LWS file called "Render Locally." After entering the frame range and frame step, it launches LWSN.exe to render the scene.

Python's terrific for cutting down on the amount of foul language uttered during a production. :boogiedow

Sensei
05-01-2011, 06:57 PM
The workflow is elegant and fast, and there are a lot of things it can do that just can't be done with Modeler, at least not as easily. For example, need to delete an edge loop? Just click on an edge, press 'l', and then press backspace; loop is gone and geometry and UV does not explode. Try doing that in Modeler.

You have TrueArt's Modeling Pack.. !!

Why don't you use SwiftEdgeLoop v2.0 - click right mouse button while holding control on edge and whole edge loop will be gone..
click right mouse button on edge, and new edge loop will be made..
or click left mouse and move mouse, and edge loop will be slided.
Select polygons to restrict edge loop to shorter.

nickdigital
05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Sure. Here's a few examples of Python in production...

Thx!

Greenlaw
05-01-2011, 09:29 PM
You have TrueArt's Modeling Pack.. !!

Why don't you use SwiftEdgeLoop v2.0 - click right mouse button while holding control on edge and whole edge loop will be gone..
click right mouse button on edge, and new edge loop will be made..
or click left mouse and move mouse, and edge loop will be slided.
Select polygons to restrict edge loop to shorter.
Yes, I know! I just got it, it's awesome, but I'm not used to using it yet. I guess tonight will be a good time to get used to using it. (Thanks for the reminder.) :p

In any case, my original point was that Modeler does not do this natively.

G.

Greenlaw
05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
I've been looking at Marvelous Designer 2 lately...they are supposed to introduce MDD import this month.
Marvelous Designer Beta 3.0 came out about two days ago. I haven't tried the new .mdd import feature yet but another Lightwave user did a quick test with it today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbjeu9MrXw&feature=uploademail

This is such a short clip that it's hard to tell exactly what MD did here but notice the convincing wrinkles on the front of the shirt...now that's marvelous. :)

I'm pretty excited about this feature and I can't wait to test it myself. I'm not only interested in using Marvelous Designer for clothing, but I think I can use it to animate cages for hair guides. I normally use FX Metalink-ed cages and ClothFX to animate hair guides in Lightwave with very good results but I think Marvelous Designer, with its full .mdd support, might be able to do this faster and more predictably. I'll let you know how it goes.

G.

Greenlaw
05-11-2011, 02:52 PM
...There are a few useful native Lightwave Modeler commands that are 'hidden' from the preset menus, and you wouldn't know they were there unless you go through the entire plug-in list and stumble on it, or another user just happens to tell you about it.

For the next update, it would be great if the Default and Studio Production Style Menus got an update to include all of the available tools. (I like to use Studio Production Style with a few custom branches added.)

G.
Another useful tool that doesn't appear in a menu by default is Bone Type (in Layout.)

jeric_synergy
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
G.
IMO updating the menus is just a band-aid: a better way to find un-assigned tools than rifling thru the Menu Editor would be more desirable. Something conspicuous.

jeric_synergy
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Use whatever works best for what you need. On the project I'm working on at my current workplace, Maya is used purely for character rigging/animation and LightWave is used for almost everything else (from rendering the Maya animation to 100%-LightWave shots).
You can bet when they write it up in CGW LightWave will mysteriously vanish from your pipeline. :devil:

Greenlaw
05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
IMO updating the menus is just a band-aid: a better way to find un-assigned tools than rifling thru the Menu Editor would be more desirable. Something conspicuous.
Yes, maybe color or different value highlights for the text to indicate status of an item. (i.e., red/light gray text = unassigned, green/black text = assigned, or whatever.)

jeric_synergy
05-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Yes, maybe color or different value highlights for the text to indicate status of an item. (i.e., red/light gray text = unassigned, green/black text = assigned, or whatever.)
Well, to be fair, we DO have that for stuff that gets loaded. TMK, though, if you are missing a plugin that's assigned a button, and LW doesn't find it, IIRC it just removes the button, rather than putting it in there ghosted, or better, RED. Or notifying the user. I'm pretty sure there's several tools I've lost/forgotten that way.

Heck, I forget them if they're buried in the UI -- if they're not even there I'll never remember them.

Greenlaw
05-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Found another one today: Bone Connect (BT_Bone_Connector). It shows up in Additional of course but doesn't show up under Bone Tools where you might expect to find it when using the default Studio Production Style menus.

Maybe I'll go through the list of default plug-ins when I get a chance and post an updated Studio Production Style default config. (Might be a while since we're in crunch time for the next few weeks.)

Edit: Hmm. Bone Breaker is also missing from the Bone Tools menu when using the SPS default.

The Wizzard
05-23-2014, 11:23 AM
It's quite Maya but should work the same...

"Lightwave to MotionBuilder and Back again "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eju1edD7k0A

I hope it helps some of you :)

The Wizzard
05-25-2014, 04:49 PM
I've uploaded the next tutorial...
"Lightwave to MotionBuilder to ENDORPHIN and Back again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkDM-l38hM

Enjoy :)