PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10 Book Shipped by Amazon

cgisoul
04-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Just though you would like to know, Amazon has started to ship Lightwave 10 Book. Mine is on the way :)

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-LightWave-v10-Dan-Ablan/dp/032176661X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303530189&sr=8-1

Pixelight
04-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Is this the best Lightwave book around?

IMI
04-23-2011, 04:36 AM
No way!
Dan had said he wasn't going to do any more Inside LW books, but only courseware videos from here on out.
That's odd, I get emails from 3D Garage all the time, but 90% of it has been about Modo for the last couple years and no mention of this book.
Well thanks for the info!

hrgiger
04-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Is this the best Lightwave book around?

Dan has been doing these books for years. I learned Lightwave from the inside Lightwave books. They provide a pretty good overview of all of the different aspects of Lightwave. Since I know you are fairly new to Lightwave, I would recommend any of the Inside Lightwave books. Dan does tend to cater more to newer users so you won't find anything too advanced in the tutorials. But like I said, if you want a good overview of Lightwave, then you can't go wrong here.

IMI
04-23-2011, 05:19 AM
I agree totally with HR above. Same here, I've bought all of Dan's LW books and they're all really good. Beginner-to-intermediate level, yeah, but great for learning the basics and for continuous reference.

By the way, I didn't mean "No way" above as an answer to Pixelight's question, just meant it as in I'm surprised. ;)

dablan
04-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey guys! I did say I wasn't going to write any.... unless the software really struck me! And it did. LW10 is great!

So, not only is my new Inside LightWave 10 out - here (http://tinyurl.com/3edm3jw) - I've got a full blown "LightWave Essential" training available now at www.Lynda.com

The last Inside book was maybe, 2007? or 2008? So, it's been a few years since we updated.

As for "Core" - this book was to have it included. But due to the delay, we went ahead with the book (and Lynda.com videos) without Core info. For the book, we're doing a free chapter coming later after core is released and as an owner of the book you'll be able to download the chapter (and a video or two) free. You'll need to book to get the freebies later this summer / early fall.

For Core at Lynda.com, we'll see how the producers there want to proceed when it's time. However, we're getting great feedback so it's very likely we'll just do a "LW Core" video series.

For 3DGarage.com - we still have LightWave training videos, lots of them for LW9. I might be doing spot specific LW10 videos that don't conflict with my Lynda agreements, this summer.

Thanks for the support!

Have a great weekend,
Dan

Pixelight
04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys. I may get the book then.

Dan, does your book address this little particular about Lightwave?

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1134266&postcount=2

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1134289&postcount=12

It's funny, in a said way, that I've been watching and reading tutorials for a while now and also checking the videos on NT's website and I haven't seen it mentioned so far. Do you mention this in your tutorial at Lynda?
I would think this being a very unusual thing for any other application and a basic thing to keep LW working it would be the first thing mentioned in a training course or tutorials. I lost a whole day in LW just because I didn't know about that peculiarity of Lightwave. Thanks to the forums I'm up and running again.

By the way, what's on the book's DVD? Do you have a content list for the DVD?
Thanks.

archijam
04-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Nice to hear dan :thumbsup:

dablan
04-23-2011, 09:12 PM

It's funny, in a said way, that I've been watching and reading tutorials for a while now and also checking the videos on NT's website and I haven't seen it mentioned so far. Do you mention this in your tutorial at Lynda?
I would think this being a very unusual thing for any other application and a basic thing to keep LW working it would be the first thing mentioned in a training course or tutorials. I lost a whole day in LW just because I didn't know about that peculiarity of Lightwave. Thanks to the forums I'm up and running again.

Thanks.

The book's DVD should be listed on Amazon. If not, I'll see about having them put it up. But basically there's quite a few video tutorials, all brand new, all created just for the book. They take each of the chapters a bit further.

Thanks,
Dan

dablan
04-23-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks.

Actually, this is something I do cover, and always have. I talk in both the videos and book about the HUB, and saving all objects to save surfaces. This is LW 101 that every user should know.

The book's DVD should be listed on Amazon. If not, I'll see about having them put it up. But basically there's quite a few video tutorials, all brand new, all created just for the book. They take each of the chapters a bit further.

Thanks,
Dan

cgisoul
04-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Pixellight,

Not to sound a fanboy, but Dan's book/dvd tutorials are excellent and the best out there for anyone first starting to learn an application, in this case LW.
You can't go wrong with Dan ways. Honest words.

archijam
04-24-2011, 08:15 AM
.. and if you're anyway saving the postage ...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0240809807/buythisbooks-20

;)

JeffrySG
04-24-2011, 09:31 AM
I'll jump in too and say that when I was starting LW I wasn't new to 3d but Dan's book (the v9 edition) and the dvd that it came with really helped me get up to speed pretty quickly with LW and how it's different than many other 3d apps. It was WELL worth the money.

jeric_synergy
04-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Another vote for Dan's books: always very VERY helpful, clear, well-presented and error-free.

If you simply work thru all his presentations, you WILL know Lightwave.

RTSchramm
04-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Hey Dan,

How about a Kindle version of your LW 10 book? I already have Inside Lightwave 9 on Kindle using my Ipad 2 and it is a great combination.

You come out with a kindle version and I'll buy it.

Also how different is your new book compared to to Inside LW 9?

Rich

cgisoul
04-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Hey Dan,

How about a Kindle version of your LW 10 book? I already have Inside Lightwave 9 on Kindle using my Ipad 2 and it is a great combination.

Rich

You can read the book in preview mode at http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/animation-and-3d/9780132656283/introduction/pref03#X2ludGVybmFsX0ZsYXNoUmVhZGVyP3htbGlkPTk3ODA xMzI2NTYyODMvdg==

Also a detailed TOC at http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/animation-and-3d/9780132656283

bpritchard
04-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Picked up the book today from NerdBooks on my way into work. Did a quick skim through it and it looks like it covers quite a bit. Really excited about getting knee deep in it tonight.

dablan
04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys!

dablan
04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey Dan,

Rich

Hey Rich,
I don't control any aspect of publishing. But, I know that Peachpit is on board with more e-book options. With tutorial books like this, I'm not sure how well it'll work, but we'll see how it goes. I think they have the LW9 book up there.

As for comparison, the LW10 book is similar, but we've retooled the projects, and have employed the LW10 features throughout. When Core comes out, we'll cover that and offer it as a download bonus.

Thanks

RTSchramm
04-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Dan,

I have your Inside Lightwave 9 on my IPad 2 and the diagrams are really easy to see. I also have kindle on my computer and the visuals look better.

Ebooks are the future.

Rich

dablan
04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Dan,

I have your Inside Lightwave 9 on my IPad 2 and the diagrams are really easy to see. I also have kindle on my computer and the visuals look better.

Ebooks are the future.

Rich

Yep - they are. But that's all up to the publisher. I did put full res color screenshots on the INLW10 book DVD too....

jeric_synergy
04-26-2011, 11:20 PM
What I would love is if the official manual were well formatted for iPad reading. Or any pad or tablet.

beverins
04-27-2011, 08:25 AM
My copy is on the way :-)

Can hardly wait!

scotthop
04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Mine too....plus the lynda.com training....I love it. I hope to see a lot more Lightwave on lynda!

dablan
04-30-2011, 01:47 PM
You know, we always do our best to make these books as complete as possible.
I do what I can within the guidelines of my publishing contract - such as less pages. We've also cropped images much tighter to keep page count and cost to users down.

But posting 1 and 2 star nasty reviews on Amazon because this book is thinner
than previous is absurd. The content is solid. The videos on the DVD are extending te book further - and we are going to release additional chapters free later this year to cover "core" when it's out. This is the main reason the book is thinner than past - core was pulled from the 10 release and as such from this book. Not because I was "lazy" as someone suggested publicly on Amazon.

Gee, and you wonder why I said in the past I didn't want to write another LightWave book.

jfrith
04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry Dan... I wouldn't want someone calling me lazy, even if true... So, I've updated my review and added a star.
But Dan, you had to know that fans of your books might be a little disappointed this time.
Please don't give up writing these Lightwave books... even a short one is better than none at all. :)

dablan
04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Well thanks. You have to understand that there are constraints from the publisher.
We've tightly cropped the images to save on costs. The original $60 price is now $35. So that's good for users. The text is solid and informative. The DVD has videos beyond the chapters, and like I said we are releasing the "core" chapters when core is out. These will bring the books pages up there.

So thanks. You don't realize how these low reviews hurt sales and in turn don't allow us to update or do more.

IMI
04-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey Dan I'm gonna buy your book as soon as I have the time to also download and try out the LW 10 demo. Mostly since your stuff has always been real cool and interesting and I love your teaching method.
I've bought all your Inside books, by the way, as well as your first Modo book and the Modo 2 and LW 9 Courseware DVDs.
I've noticed you've branched out into Photoshop and Cinema 4D, so I'm hoping you'll do a Softimage course one of these days. ;)

Edit:
Your stuff is still great for reference, man, not just beginners. I watch the vids every now and then just to refresh myself, and the books are always within reach too.

cgisoul
05-01-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm sorry Dan... I wouldn't want someone calling me lazy, even if true... So, I've updated my review and added a star.
But Dan, you had to know that fans of your books might be a little disappointed this time.
Please don't give up writing these Lightwave books... even a short one is better than none at all. :)

Quoted from amazon:
4.0 out of 5 stars One Word: PITHY, April 29, 2011
By
J. Frith (Auburn, WA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Inside LightWave 3D v10 (Paperback)

I've owned every book in this series, and Dan has never disappointed me until now.
This book focuses on the intricacies of LW10 Modeler and Layout, including chapters on texture creation, lighting, cameras, animation, particles, hard and soft-body dynamics, rigging, rendering, plug-ins, and of course, modeling a fruit bowl.
If you were expecting a phone book, you might be pleasantly surprised by its pithy 386 pages, but it's safe to say the rest of us were expecting a bit more depth.
Since CORE hasn't officially been released yet, I can't fault Dan for shortchanging us a couple of hundred pages... but at only 386 pages, less than a third of Inside LW7... are you kidding me???
Inside LW7 = 1166 pages, LW8 = 948 pages, LW9 = 722 pages, LW10 = 386 pages.
Are you noticing a trend here? Is it possible that Lightwave has been dumbed down with each successive release?

UPDATED: Ok, Dan thought my review was overly harsh, and he's probably right. My review was based on my initial reaction, and I was feeling somewhat cheated. It's true that the included DVD does add value and once CORE is released, Dan will post additional chapters online (hopefully to be included in a second printing). So I've added one star and changed lazy to PITHY.

UPDATE #2: Dan seems like a nice enough guy and he mentioned that early reviews can really affect overall sales. Some things were beyond his control, such as publishing constraints and the state of flux that LW10 is in. Therefore, I've decided to add a second star to my initial two star review. After all, this is still the best LightWave 10 book currently available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally would simply erase the entire comment you made in Amazon. You contradict yourself and leads to confusion to new users buyers.
Editing your comments, but still referring to your previous one is IMO ridiculous. Specially after Dan has explain the reasons why and you quote in there.

I have no intentions in further discuss about your comment you made, but comments like the ones you made, as stated by the Author can hurt sales and future publishing or new releases.

If you are such a fan of Dan as you mentioned already, then maybe you should re-consider to write a new comment to help out, specially after the Author himself have explained already the reasons why.

Erase that crap and write a more convincing review.

First you kiss then you kick?? Or the other way around? Either way, that doesn't help much.

dablan
05-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Hey Dan I'm gonna buy your book as soon as I have the time to also download and try out the LW 10 demo. Mostly since your stuff has always been real cool and interesting and I love your teaching method.
I've bought all your Inside books, by the way, as well as your first Modo book and the Modo 2 and LW 9 Courseware DVDs.
I've noticed you've branched out into Photoshop and Cinema 4D, so I'm hoping you'll do a Softimage course one of these days. ;)

Edit:
Your stuff is still great for reference, man, not just beginners. I watch the vids every now and then just to refresh myself, and the books are always within reach too.

Thanks very much. My point here is to not to have people sugar coat anything, but like today, again, another nasty review because of the book's size. It's kind of ridiculous that people are so quick to get the book, look at it, not read it or use the tutorials, but just post a non-relevant review. This last one even insulted the cover, something my friends at NewTek put together for us. Not quite sure what's wrong with the cover... but to each his own. I liked it, so thanks to Leigh for the image and Michael K. at NewTek for putting it together.

It's been such a fun week.

jfrith
05-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Erase that crap and write a more convincing review.

Yes, I can see how some might be confused by my four star rating and negative review, but that's why I added the notes; I bumped the rating because some things were beyond Dan's control, but I stand by my review and have no plans to rewrite it.

The truth is, the book should've been delayed until LW10 with CORE ships later this year. As it stands now, when compared to previous editions, this book is a huge disappointment.

BTW, Miguel, where's your review?

cgisoul
05-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes, I can see how some might be confused by my four star rating and negative review, but that's why I added the notes; I bumped the rating because some things were beyond Dan's control, but I stand by my review and have no plans to rewrite it.

The truth is, the book should've been delayed until LW10 with CORE ships later this year. As it stands now, when compared to previous editions, this book is a huge disappointment.

BTW, Miguel, where's your review?

The moment I finish reading the book, I will sure write my own review.
However, it will certainly be based on the QUALITY of the content, NOT on the number of pages as some so call reviewers have wrote.
If you are a serious reviewer and have really finished reading the book, maybe you could have said e.g. "Thought the book is not as tick as the previous ones, I would have preferred the author have expanded the chapters more."
That sounds so much better and mature.
Rather than crying out loud with "book 1 was a thousand pages, book 2 was 500 pages, book 3 oh gosh..... you see the trend? you see? you see? you see??"

If the quality of its content does not meet my standards, I will not hesitate to give 1 star, but until I finish it, I will reserve my comments till the end.
So, stay tune for my final review and thank you for your interest.

jasonwestmas
05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
LW10 might be a little disappointing to long time lw9 users but the Color Space features and VPR's abilities are really nice. I'm sure Dan has also found quite a few bonuses about LW10 that I haven't found out yet. New users will be blown away for what they get without having to buy any additional plugins imo. LW10.1 should be right around the corner too but nothing official on that yet.

wesleycorgi
05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I received my book last week and I have to admit that being surprised about the book being smaller than previous editions. However, it's still all good stuff Dan is able to get you up to speed quickly in a lot a different areas.

I would have to say 50% of what I know about LW is from Dan's books going back to Inside LW 5.5. I still find myself thumbing through all the Inside LW books for reference. I would actually recommend picking up some of the previous books in tangent with Inside LW10.

I haven't popped open the DVD yet, but I look forward to viewing these.

dablan
05-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks all -
One thing I was surprised about was the size as well, when they arrived at my office. But I do know that I had to go back to every chapter and re-crop images to save on page count. And the layout is very tight, much less white space that previous books. In today's economy, I'm surprised that we got a new LightWave book published, and with a DVD. But I do understand print costs and the publisher doing what they can to keep down costs. And the free chapters on Core are coming later this year. Owners of the book already have the password, which we'll tell you when the time is right to download the new additional stuff.

dablan
05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I should also point out that a constructive and concise review is always helpful. While a measly 400 pages doesn't seem like much, a lot of time, money, and work went into this by many people. A simple click of the mouse can do more harm than you realize, not only killing sales of this book, but effectively killing any chance of future revisions, or advanced book topics. Just something to keep in mind.

jasonwestmas
05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I just started using Project Messiah with LW, man I wish someone would write a book on that. Just a really nice character plugin/application to use closely with LW, I was really surprised how smooth the workflow was. Then add core to the mix later, I'm really looking forward to whatever happens in the next couple of years.

Obviously I'm all for mixing applications. I think there should be more information out there based on that philosophy.

dablan
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Yes, I just got the upgrade too and it's pretty damn slick.
I'm thinking about videos for it. Might be hard to sell the publisher on a book on this, but videos could work. I got on board with messiah years ago, and like so much software we all use, sometimes an app or two doesn't get used much. Messiah was that for me, but I'm hoping to get into it more again this year.

GandB
05-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Just to add that Dan's been very helpful in the past, and his tutorials and books are top notch!

jfrith
05-01-2011, 10:31 PM
The moment I finish reading the book, I will sure write my own review.

So, you haven't read the book but you were trashing my review?
When you finish it, you might find yourself agreeing with me more than you're willing to admit. In any case, we all look forward to reading your review.

cgisoul
05-01-2011, 10:50 PM
So, you haven't read the book but you were trashing my review?
When you finish it, you might find yourself agreeing with me more than you're willing to admit. In any case, we all look forward to reading your review.

Is there anywhere I wrote saying "I haven't read" ??? What I said was: "when I finish reaDING the book."

"Haven't read" and "I'm reading" are two very distinctive situations.

Or are you trying to twist my comment? Either way, it's not important.

cgisoul
05-01-2011, 11:15 PM
jfrith,

Bottom line, there are better and more constructive ways to give a review, rather crying out loud. Well, that just my review on your comments and the way you wrote it. Don't get me wrong, you are absolutely entitled to your own opinion, just your approach was absurd. And as a serious learner, I don't pay much of attention to your review. Not everyone sees it that way.

The only reason I'm defending the Author here is due to the lack of attention in your description of the book and the impression you gave for having just flipped on some pages and jump right into wrong conclusions.

Since you mentioned that the book covers so much topics and believing that you read the whole book (and not just the TOC), why don't you write a better review? When I say better, I don't mean to sugar coat the author or the book, but write something that can help a new buyer to understand where the book is lacking. I would love to read that from you.

And to be honest, I don't think the Author needs your "PITHY" sorry asx when you give 4 stars but smash his face with a review like that.
You either give 4 stars because you love the content of the book, or less because you don't like the content, OR, don't write at all.

I don't criticize Chris Todd for giving it 1 star based on his comment. He was direct and was based on the quality of the content. It was too basic, fair enough. In another perspective, he also refer to quantity as it wasn't deep enough. But never the less, his comments are more inline of a proper Reviewer. But even that, he fails to explain why the book is not enough.

I explain.

If you are a professional looking to deeper your knowledge on a certain subject and grab a total beginner's book, you can be sure that you will get comments like ones made by Chris Todd and give 1 star. However, what many people / Reviewers fail to understand is the position they put themselves in. The mentality they put themselves in when reviewing a book. If you buy a beginners book, you should review it as a beginner point of view.
If you are an advanced user of X application, you should review the book based on the level of which the book was written for.
AND if you are a professional user of X application, you should review the book based on the level of which the book was written for.

The book was written for beginners/ new comers in mind, therefore, the book should be reviewed by someone new to the program. And those experienced with the application and who own the book wishes to review it, should keep that in mind and review the book on that level. An experienced power user will never find a beginner's book enough.

For professionals alike who wish to deeper their knowledge, they should get books that are directed to their level.

jasonwestmas
05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes, I just got the upgrade too and it's pretty damn slick.
I'm thinking about videos for it. Might be hard to sell the publisher on a book on this, but videos could work. I got on board with messiah years ago, and like so much software we all use, sometimes an app or two doesn't get used much. Messiah was that for me, but I'm hoping to get into it more again this year.

yeah, I find messiah to be one of those specialty apps that just doesn't get the right kind of support. I think it's greatest strengths are the fact that is works well with other apps. and that it specializes in characters so it can really focus in on workflow if the user takes advantage of that. Messiah's animation workflow isn't limited to 3rd party LW plugin constraints so that's another advantage. And from what I can tell LW puts up zero road blocks or rough terrain in order to work well with Messiah.

I still think there really needs to be some step by step instruction that we can all find in a book for Messiah and how it can work in a creative way that helps Lightwave users save time and explore better looking options, not just a technical explanation. Videos definitely compliment that, so it's not that one instructional medium is totally more effective than the other, I just find books tend to have more detail in them where as the transfer/ absorption of information and expression is faster with a video.

jfrith
05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Bottom line, there are better and more constructive ways to give a review

Was my review a constructive in-depth masterpiece? No, of course not.
Did my review convey my disappointment due to lack of depth? Yes.
Should you get back to reading the book rather than these forum posts? Absolutely!

Dexter2999
05-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey Rich,
I don't control any aspect of publishing. But, I know that Peachpit is on board with more e-book options. With tutorial books like this, I'm not sure how well it'll work, but we'll see how it goes. I think they have the LW9 book up there.

As for comparison, the LW10 book is similar, but we've retooled the projects, and have employed the LW10 features throughout. When Core comes out, we'll cover that and offer it as a download bonus.

Thanks

Kindle version is on the Amazon page now.

rwhunt99
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
haven't read the book --yet; but I would think that there weren't that many changes in LW10 to make it another thousand page book, and I highly recommend reading his earlier inside books because he has a knack of explaining things that (at least for me) gives me a good understanding of the thing I was trying to learn. He and others like Tim Albee are the kind of authors that inspire me to go out and do it! :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
05-02-2011, 02:42 PM
haven't read the book --yet; but I would think that there weren't that many changes in LW10 to make it another thousand page book, and I highly recommend reading his earlier inside books because he has a knack of explaining things that (at least for me) gives me a good understanding of the thing I was trying to learn. He and others like Tim Albee are the kind of authors that inspire me to go out and do it! :thumbsup:

I would imagine inside LW 9 and 10 would be an excellent and pretty complete combo.

slackv
05-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Kindle version is on the Amazon page now.

Do you know if they provide access to the DVD content with the Kindle version?

I purchased the "Inside Lightwave v9" book by Dan in the Kindle edition, but there's no resource to get the CD that was included with it. So I'm going with the physical copy of Inside LW 10 just to be sure to get the DVD.

I've loved the 3dGarage.com trainings that Dan has done and am looking forward to the book (which should arrive today!).

lardbros
05-03-2011, 06:12 AM
All of Dan's books have been great in the past... got loads of the Inside ones... and will probably buy this latest one too. If it's all new material, then it'll be great. I think it is unfair giving a poor review based on pages, especially in comparison to the LW 6 and LW 7... that wasn't even a book, more of a Tome!! It was HUUUUGE!

Anyway... don't get disheartened Dan... please carry on doing what you're doing! Great for beginners and for the advanced to keep lying around.

dablan
05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
All of Dan's books have been great in the past... got loads of the Inside ones... and will probably buy this latest one too. If it's all new material, then it'll be great. I think it is unfair giving a poor review based on pages, especially in comparison to the LW 6 and LW 7... that wasn't even a book, more of a Tome!! It was HUUUUGE!

Anyway... don't get disheartened Dan... please carry on doing what you're doing! Great for beginners and for the advanced to keep lying around.

Thanks - yeah, INLW7 was 1200 pages.
I was told to never do that again. :)
There was issues with the spine holding all the pages. Massive printing costs too.

allabulle
05-03-2011, 09:50 AM
There was issues with the spine holding all the pages. Massive printing costs too.

Inside LightWave 7 was great and if your studio is surrounded by barbaric hordes you can also use it as a weapon to defend your position. That thing was big!

I have almost all Ablan's LightWave books (I'm only missing ILW8 I think) and they are great.

Even if nowadays I find them not that advanced for my skills they were crucial in my learning of LightWave. From time to time I just re-read them and find bits of info here and there that I forgot along the way. They last. And the writing style helps you when you want to read them a second time (or third, fourth...) It's not full of jokes but they are far from boring in my opinion.

I bought "Inside LightWave 10" and I'm planning to read it on the subway, bus, at the coffee shop taking a sip... I don't think I'll need most of what's in there today, but it's nice to read it and you can always find something useful there. And I like it better than the Sunday newspaper's magazine.

If you are a beginner it's a must have. Maybe paired with "Essential LightWave v9" from Warner et al. if I may add.

lardbros
05-03-2011, 10:17 AM

Not surprising really... all those insurance claims for back trouble as they carried it home. ;)

The spine hasn't failed on mine yet, but then I'm quite careful with my books... and if I remember rightly, it was quite an expensive book. Over 50 here in the UK (at the time, think books have generally got cheaper since).

jasonwestmas
05-03-2011, 10:35 AM

haha, I remember back in 2003 someone asked me if I went though the entire Inside LW7 book and being shocked how much info was in there. I told him maybe I made it half way through but I wasn't sure. I tend to pick and choose things out of books.

jasonwestmas
05-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Not surprising really... all those insurance claims for back trouble as they carried it home. ;)

The spine hasn't failed on mine yet, but then I'm quite careful with my books... and if I remember rightly, it was quite an expensive book. Over 50 here in the UK (at the time, think books have generally got cheaper since).

My manual fell apart but not the inside LW7 book. I read though it a lot too. :)