PDA

View Full Version : MESSIAH - LIGHTWAVE - Rigging an armor - SOLVED

ben martin
04-21-2011, 09:56 AM
OK, if you had this problem before using Messiah and its Weightmap tools, I found a solution to it

Imagine a character wearing a rigid armor, how to rig it using Messiah as a CA plug-in?

I just solved the problem.
The solution was to make it like in real life.
I just isolated all armor plates in blocks or parts (call it as you like) and isolated those block parts in layers.
e.g. (1 block of plates that fit on "upper_leg", other block os plates that fit on "lower_leg", other block of plates that fit in the "hip" and so on).

I've done such in Lightwave, where I modeled the "Character".
I end up my character with 14 different Layers parts.
Layer 1 - Underneath body suit + feet + hands
Layer 2 - Plates for the Chest
Layer 3 - plates for the HIP
Layer 4 - Plates for the Right Shoulder
Layer 5 - Helmet
And so on.....
All layers meshs (armor plates) should be modeled in the correct place to fit the character properlly.

In Messiah I just rigged Layer 1 (Underneath body suit + feet+ hands).
All remaining Layers were "PARENTED IN PLACE" (similar to Lightwave) to the corresponding bones on messiah rig (SET UP).

Heres what you should do to PARENT IN PLACE in MESSIAH.

Setup mode.
Click the BONE and then Ctrl-click the Layer Object to be parentend to the bone
From the TOP menu, choose "Parent items".

Click on "keep position" and "keep alignment" and then click parent.
(This is it... like Lightwave parent in place)

All worked like a charm.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
In Lightwave, don't change the layers PIVOT POINT! This is a must!
Let the PIVOT POINT of each layer resting in the same place of Layer 1 (the layer that is going to be rigged in messiah) if the plan is to render the animation back in Lightwave (using Messiah as plugin).
And again, remember, all layers meshs (armor plates) should be modeled in the correct place to fit the character properlly.
Else, after rig and parenting in messiah (if you try to center the pivot point in the plates) the result in Lightwave is not going to be pretty!
All plates Layers will be floating around or piled in the ground.
So and again retain this point: Model your object in many Layers you like or need but let all Layers pivot points resting in the same place (origin) and model all layers meshs (armor plates) in the correct place to fit the character properlly.

Hope this helps! To me is working 120%

caesar
04-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Nice to hear your solution. Could you post any screenshot or sample of the final animation?

caesar
04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
OT: Did you use LW for that movie in your signature, Backlight?

ben martin
04-21-2011, 10:16 AM
OT: Did you use LW for that movie in your signature, Backlight?

Yes, I use Lightwave in all projects.

caesar
04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Yes, I use Lightwave in all projects.

You should contact NT for artist profile and LW gallery of your work :thumbsup:

ben martin
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Nice to hear your solution. Could you post any screenshot or sample of the final animation?

Here you have the workflow screenshot.

Cheers

calilifestyle
04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
that's a cool setup.

caesar
04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Here you have the workflow screenshot.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing the info and model shots! Looks a great project!

dballesg
04-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Heres what you should do to PARENT IN PLACE in MESSIAH.

Hi Ben,

You have a faster way to parent in place on Messiah, simply select the child item on the item list, and drag it over the parent using the middle mouse button, when you see a FULL blue bar highlight you are parenting it, if you see a half blue bar you are simply reordering the item on the item lists.

This will keep the position and orientation of the child.

You can use this method on Setup or Animate Tabs.

David

sandman300
04-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Cool, I was having the same problem. Strangely enough I came up with almost the same solution, I say almost because I'm still working it through. I bought the Rigging1 tutorials so I could understand how rigging worked in Messiah. The only thing slowing me down is figuring the interface changes between 4 and 5.

ben martin
04-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi Ben,

You have a faster way to parent in place on Messiah, simply select the child item on the item list, and drag it over the parent using the middle mouse button, when you see a FULL blue bar highlight you are parenting it, if you see a half blue bar you are simply reordering the item on the item lists.

This will keep the position and orientation of the child.

You can use this method on Setup or Animate Tabs.

David

Hi David,

I was only uncertain about the keeping "Position" and "Orientation"!
I did not test it before I wrote this thread but if you tested it, well, then indeed it is a better and direct method for parenting in place. :thumbsup:

Thanks for share.

All the best!