PDA

View Full Version : I can't bandsaw a section.

Dracorat
04-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Attached are two images of the offending section and I copied the object to a new file where it still occurs so I'm attacking that too.

I'm trying to use Bandsaw Pro because I want the one poly divided in to three. (By the by - is this the only way? I don't need additional geometry all the way around. At worst I just need triangles on the adjacent faces so that I can tie the points back in to the rest of the geometry.)

Can someone see if this is happening for them or if something is wrong with the object? I can't tell.

In the second screen, I have set bandsaw to two cuts, at 20 and 80 percent. Lightwave then crashes when I space-accept or return-accept the cut.

Thanks.

meshpig
04-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Bandsaw or any of the cutting tools need more than one poly to work so you can either use the knife tool, subdivide ( shift d) it or add edges et al. The surrounding geometry will thus become N-gonal which you'll be able to fix using the same tools if need be:)

Dracorat
04-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Thanks. I'm new to LW and will read the help file on the other ways you mentioned. I have gone through the tutorials, but once you go through so many, you get deer-in-the-headlights when you try to do it on your own. At least at first.

I'm starting to feel my "block" break. Your help on these forums is thusly that much more appreciated. =)

Thanks.

meshpig
04-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Thanks. I'm new to LW and will read the help file on the other ways you mentioned. I have gone through the tutorials, but once you go through so many, you get deer-in-the-headlights when you try to do it on your own. At least at first.

I'm starting to feel my "block" break. Your help on these forums is thusly that much more appreciated. =)

Thanks.

True, the trick with tutorials sometimes is to skim through and go off and experiment. In LW though, "add edges" (Detail/edges/add edges) is something you need to get yer head around because it solves a multitude of problems quickly. Select a polygon or 2 first then go to.

Dracorat
04-21-2011, 02:12 AM
I was able to just get that section handled with add edges. =) I like precise control so being able to enter percents in the numeric panel was good.

I did discover I have to connect two edges for it to work, I can't just "add edges" to a single edge in order to split that edge. But for now, it's good enough. I'm on my way again =)

meshpig
04-21-2011, 02:47 AM
I was able to just get that section handled with add edges. =) I like precise control so being able to enter percents in the numeric panel was good.

I did discover I have to connect two edges for it to work, I can't just "add edges" to a single edge in order to split that edge. But for now, it's good enough. I'm on my way again =)

If you assign the first point on an edge and then add the next one to an adjacent edge, you can close the gap so you then add a point on a single edge. Very handy.

Sensei
04-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Bandsaw or any of the cutting tools need more than one poly to work

Not true.. :)
TrueArt's SwiftEdgeLoop v2.0+ can work even with single polygon selected.
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop

BandSaw needs two to decide where edge loop will be going. But in SwiftEdgeLoop this information is gained directly from user, right clicking on edge (which can be used by 1 or 2 polygons, no more).

Dracorat
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
If you assign the first point on an edge and then add the next one to an adjacent edge, you can close the gap so you then add a point on a single edge. Very handy.

Genius!