PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation

PaddyO
04-20-2011, 06:43 AM
How do I have a character pickup an object and but it down again. Is there some kind of constraint that I can use to keep the object attached to it's hand?

RebelHill
04-20-2011, 07:06 AM
You can do it a couple ways.

One old cheat way is to have 2 copies of the prop, one parented to the characters hand, and the other not, and animating the "dissolve" property in the otems render properties to give the illusion of it being picked up, etc.

The other way is to use the "same as item" constraint, which constrains one item to another, and can be blended on and off.

There's a video on the NT "24 hrs training" page that covers it, and there's also a vid in the "3 hour RHR" collection (link in my sig) that explains different constraint methods in LW, including the SAI.

Ryan Roye
04-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Another faster option is to use the parenter plugin (which parents an object to an item for a specified duration), but this option is not very flexible and you can't move the object resting in the character's hand in any way after the keyframe that the plugin is used in.

Its best used for simple animations and I like it because it saves me a few trips to the graph editor. ONLY use this if you know an object is not going to move around in the character's hand!

PaddyO
04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

pooby
04-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Another faster option is to use the parenter plugin (which parents an object to an item for a specified duration), but this option is not very flexible and you can't move the object resting in the character's hand in any way after the keyframe that the plugin is used in.

Its best used for simple animations and I like it because it saves me a few trips to the graph editor. ONLY use this if you know an object is not going to move around in the character's hand!
Or if you have an offset null

Greenlaw
04-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Yes, Same As Item is awesome! Since they added this feature I don't bother with Parenter or any of the Simple Constraint plug-ins anymore.

Actually, Worley's Parent (Polk Collection) was my old standy-by. I still use it sometimes to bake world coordinate positions of a parented object.

G.