PDA

View Full Version : new to LW - motion objects

goffj1
10-03-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I'm trying to create a "flying banner" like one towed by an airplane.

I can't seem to get "goals" or "follower" settings to produce anything like what I want.

The manual makes sence but putting the directions into practice aren't working for me.

Any tutorials out there that might show me where I'm getting lost?

hrgiger
10-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Why not use motion designer?

goffj1
10-03-2003, 12:58 PM
I'm really trying to learn LW

bloontz
10-03-2003, 04:39 PM
The video tutorials on Motion Designer may help.
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.html

Jockomo
10-04-2003, 12:30 AM
I don't think it is "goals" or "follower" that you need to accomplish this. Probaby the thing to do is to parent the banner to your airplane, then use a displacement map to affect the flag.
I think if you look up displacement mapping youll find a flag example there.

Once you have mastered that, you could get complicated and try out Motion Designer. However be warned that MD is a beast to reckon with and not a good place for a newbie to start out.

HowardM
10-04-2003, 09:06 PM
or maybe he is the ONE? and will touch MD and become the messiah! BEHOLD!?
:)
:burp:

PerryDS
10-09-2003, 10:53 AM
With the experimenting I have been doing with Motion Designer in seven, it works well for simple procedures. Yours doesn't seem all that complicated, but the tool has only been around for a short while. I've been trying to get long hair with sasquatch to react to motion, but it's been greeted with limited success. When I add in too many varibles or I'm dealing with complex structures, all it does is crash. Perhaps 8 will solve some of MD's technical problems, but for now I'll resort to using key morphs, which by the way may work for your airplane flag. Two alternate waves with a slider to control the variations as the plane moves along.