PDA

View Full Version : Motion Lower Thirds

tkoch
10-03-2003, 10:13 AM
How do you create motion lower 3rds? I would like to make lower thirds that are video clips. How does one do this with toaster 2?

Paul Lara
10-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Aura.

bradl
10-04-2003, 12:32 AM
See this post for some tips on doing this without rendering - Custom Masking, Garbage Matte or Panning within 'Crop' - Quick-n-Easy (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10970)

Tom Wood
10-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
Aura.

I'm about to do the same thing using Jumpbacks. I assume that by this concise response, you are refering to Chapter 7 in the manual - Layers? Specifically, Stencils?

David Hebel responded to a question I had over at the Safe Harbor forums. I'd asked if it made any difference if I bought the Jumpbacks that were made at 30fps or 60fps when using them as backgrounds in slow motion. His answer was somewhat indifferent. I'd like to slow them way down in Juicer, and then slice out a portion to use in lower thirds and as backdrops. Maybe even blur them too. Anyone else doing this?

TW

bradl
10-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Yes, in Aura you create your cutting shape (what will end up your alpha) on a seperate layer from your JB. Use any tool or technique to create it or use one from DigitalJuice's Editor's Toolkit, if you own that. Only need one frame if layer is still a non-anim layer, then stretch it out to the length of your clip.

Now there are several ways to create the cutout, using drag and drop, or merge options, but the most straightforward is to turn on Stencil (yellow box) and Invert Stencil (black box below), then go to JB layer, select all frames then hit Clear (on the Tools panel or the Edit Menu).

For the drag n' drop or merge option, you need to make your cutout layer inverse then drop it onto the JB layer using Erase as your mode.

These methods involve loading all the frames into Aura, and rendering whereas the link above to "Custom Masking..." describes how to do it in realtime with no rendering, but it does have some limitations...

tkoch
10-09-2003, 09:54 AM
So then how do i load those Aura files into Toaster CG? Does Toaster CG allow for video files with Alpha channels. or even video files at all?

J_Camp
10-09-2003, 11:04 AM
You can load them into a DDR or play them from Aura itself. Just pick what you want to be the DSK (Aura or DDR).

bradl
10-10-2003, 04:16 PM
One other point that may be useful to you. You can have several 'key-able' items in a DDR used as the DSK. The order of priorty can be changed by dragging them up or down in the DDR. I posted the details a while back, let me retrieve them.

Originally posted in the betaforum:
VT3 Betaforum - Posted: 08-03-2003 05:18 PM

From a VT2 forum thread I experimented and discovered something new, at least to me. It is not documented in the new VT3 DDR pdf manual.

I believe in VT2 if you put an overlay in a DDR and placed that in the DSK, you had to right click the clip and enable Overlay so it would key. Now overlays seem to automatically key in DSK even with overlay off. In fact you can't even determine the overlay status on the clip or still unless you bring it into VTEdit, as the context option is now gone. So far so good.

Now for the cool part.

Load a clip in a DDR, lets say an animated banner, overlay status off. It DSK's fine over PGM. Now drag in a clip (or still) that has Overlay status ON. It will key over the banner in the DDR (if it doesn't at first, drag it down below the banner in DDR) and both will key in the DSK. Two DSK's at once!

You can bring in more Overlays and stack theim up in the DDR. Priority is set by stacking order. You can tell they are keying and rolling all at once by looking closely at the Current Position Cursor. The cusor will show up on all the sources keyed at the same time, and the TC start time for each clip keyed will be the same (00:00:00:00).

If one of the clips does not have Overlay on it will still key, just will always be behind all others. This is a lot like an ME feature!

Use CUE and all the keys will roll at once as well!

Cool...

Brad

PS - In Preferences you may want to set DDR to 'High Resourse Usage' for multiple clips...

I played 4 animated clips, rolling on cue, keyed over input source with no problems...

dlsutton
11-18-2003, 05:44 PM
umm... doesn't work this way on my VT3.... you have a different build :) ?

-Dave Sutton

bradl
11-18-2003, 07:41 PM
hum... been several months but I will try tomorrow and see if it still works for me...