PDA

View Full Version : narrowing down my computer search...

virtualcomposer
04-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Ok, so I've seen some really nice people on this forum answer questions concerning the Mac Pro computer I'm getting in the next few days. I was told that the xx55 render radiosity faster then the 54 and 53 models. This means I probably shouldn't base so much on the cinebench test as I should understanding what I use the computer for and what I'm doing in Lightwave and Final Cut. I also run allot of audio tracks and plugins which is processor intensive. So, getting away from the cinebench results, I've seen on Apple.com refurbished computers so would it be better for me to buy an 8-core 2008 or 2009 machine or a 4 core apple refurbished 2010 machine which is a 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon? Here's the link to the apple refurbished. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro?mco=MjEwNzM3NTk
I can only afford about $2,300.

virtualcomposer
04-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Ok, I think, being on different computer forums, that I've finally decided what I'm going to get. Since I not only do 3D, I run Digital Performer and Final Cut as well. Based on the amount of money I have along with warranty and newness of product, I've decided to get the refurbished 4 core 2010 Mac Pro 2.8 in the Apple refurbished store. Hey, my 2006 Mac Pro screamed pretty fast and I'm sure this new one 4-5 years later will scream much faster then what I'm used to. :D If I had $5000, then I'd get the 12 core but hey, we're in a recession. :eek: