PDA

View Full Version : my render problems fixed, 2 HUGE bugs discovered i think

JML
10-03-2003, 07:07 AM
I was having problem rendering a raytrace image at more than 2000*1500
pixels...
it was telling me not enough memory for frame buffer. (even using 50 segments,limited region...)

the problem was that in my scene, I had like 10 spot lights, each with 8000
buffer size for suns.
the thing is ONLY 1 was checked and on when I was trying to render.
after deleting the 9 others spot lights in the scene, it was rendering
without problem even at 5400*3600... great !

the 2 bugs found are that when it prepare the frame buffer, even if there
is 1 light ON in the scene it will make room in the frame buffer for the other lights. (or something like that)

same bug with the objects, if i have 5 objects and I uncheck one of them
in the scene windows ,
it will render the 4 objects (which is normal) but it still load the 5 objects and optimize them (which take some more time when you have a lot objects..)

anybody noticed this before?

BeeVee
10-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Are you using shadow-mapped spotlights? The shadow maps take memory and the size you make them at is multiplied by four in terms of the memory used.

B

ingo
10-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Since LW is rendering in the backround i can proove it, but i believe if you only uncheck diffuse/specular of a spotlight it calculates the shadowmap you specified.

AFAIK there is no other way to uncheck objects than deleting them from the scene file. You can only hide it from lights/camera, but not uncheck it. But there are a lot of other things going wrong in that area, for example excluding from raydiosity or unseen by rays works not really well.

Simply unchecking lights and objects completly from rendering is a feature i missed in LW.