PDA

View Full Version : Extruding polygon gives disconnected shapes

bludhemn
04-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Hi

I extruded a poly from the side of a box and tried to sub-d it with tab. It ended up as two disconnected objects. I got around this by merging the vertices at automatic range, but in the end while changing to sub-d, got some unwanted polygons at the point where the merge occurred. Also, I had to flip the selected poly before applying extrude, otherwise the newly extruded were inside-out.

Is this the right way to do it? How can go about extruding without having to worry about merging and excess polygons and flipped normals?

Thanks very much.

ramccombe
04-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I use Multishift or Extend and Move/Rotate etc. You are correct Extrude behaves as you describe. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
04-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Use EXTEND(ER), not Extrude.

Extrude is generally better thought of as a tool for working on 2d polys, IMO.

bludhemn
04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys. I had tried extender plus before, but it dint seem to be working. Did a good search and found out that each time you hit 'e' an additional poly is generated there, that can then be moved around. I was looking at the numeric panel and thinking that it wasn't working when nothing came up!

jeric_synergy
04-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah, it's very slick, but just clikin' the button looks like nothing happened. There's a couple tools like that: until someone tells you 'the secret' it's hard to know what all the excitement is about.

In case you don't know: you can hit the hotkey for "Extend" without dropping the Move tool, so it is VERY interactive.

bludhemn
04-18-2011, 05:35 AM
In case you don't know: you can hit the hotkey for "Extend" without dropping the Move tool, so it is VERY interactive.

Figured that out when I finally got it working. Thank you :)